Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM

62 posts, read 66,414 times

Advertisements

Listening to the Sunday talking heads talking about how the United States should not tolerate chemical weapons made me angry. I remembered my brother, a Vietnam War Veteran, dying from cancer at age 57. I also remembered the picture of the little girl that had been sprayed with napalm running naked down the street. So why are we acting so indignant now? I voted for Obama because he was going to get us out of two wars, now he wants to start another one?

I'm also tired of hearing the phrase "boots on the ground". Soldiers are not "boots".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Ya mean hope and change aren't working for ya?

"Boots on the ground" is appropriate because soldiers wear them. I think you're stuck with it in the lexicon.

As for the rest, "No !" Technically, "chemical warfare" consists of biological germs such as anthrax and gases such as ricin. Agent Orange was an herbicide and defoliant. It was never intended to be a weapon of any sort.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Agent Orange is a defoliant and the adverse effects to humans are slow in developing. It takes years for the effects to be seen. Napalm however could be considered a chemical weapon and a damn nasty one.. Another thing you may want to remember about Vietnam was it was a war that was started by and escalated by Democrats... The party of a president doesn't matter. The agenda of a president does. This has been a part of the Obama agenda from the beginning. There are lots of nasty little plans still in the works for this administration you supported. Enjoy what you have reaped.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armendmo View Post
I'm also tired of hearing the phrase "boots on the ground". Soldiers are not "boots".
It's easier for politicians to refer to them as "boots". I think it makes them sleep better.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
I guess all weapons have some sort of chemical in them, even explosives, so by this logic unless you use a sword or drop an iron weight on some one's head then every weapon is a chemical weapon.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,275 times
Quote:
Listening to the Sunday talking heads talking about how the United States should not tolerate chemical weapons made me angry. I remembered my brother, a Vietnam War Veteran, dying from cancer at age 57. I also remembered the picture of the little girl that had been sprayed with napalm running naked down the street. So why are we acting so indignant now? I voted for Obama because he was going to get us out of two wars, now he wants to start another one?

No. It is not.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:

The talking heads are there to justify the establishments position. They depend on the ignorance of the people to do what they do. When you begin to think for yourself, you find the vast majority of what you are being told by government and talking heads are lies and traps for fools.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,697 times
Even now we're shooting and shelling depleted uranium ordinances in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Iys not about right and wrong. Its about us and them.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Agent Orange is a defoliant and the adverse effects to humans are slow in developing. It takes years for the effects to be seen. Napalm however could be considered a chemical weapon and a damn nasty one.. Another thing you may want to remember about Vietnam was it was a war that was started by and escalated by Democrats... The party of a president doesn't matter. The agenda of a president does. This has been a part of the Obama agenda from the beginning. There are lots of nasty little plans still in the works for this administration you supported. Enjoy what you have reaped.
Well stated, and also note that Syria, like Vietnam, is another in a string of 'Truman Doctrine' wars that we have had since WWII. Almost all of them have been failures. At least in Vietnam there was the domino theory, which made it a US interest. In Syria there is no fear that Assad is going to expand throughout the world and threaten the US.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Even now we're shooting and shelling depleted uranium ordinances in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Simply because DU is heavier than lead, and makes a better projectile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies