Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,785,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No I'm on the east coast but thank you for the offer. I am really not against guns for your home. I just don't want them in public.
You are more likely to need a gun for protection outside your home than inside it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,752,512 times
Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with self defense. But to me self defense is karate, judo, kray maga and all the martial arts. Have you seen these dedicated people in action. I have and they could take out a fly on the wall. Oh but you need a gun for self defense.
Yes, but not everyone can be a 6 foot 200+ pound martial artist. If you took defense classes, do you really believe that you could take a guy out? What if I take defense classes and the criminal or criminal are beating me to death. Criminals are cowards who carry guns, how would I defend myself against that?

You're getting things confused. A gun is for use when there aren't any other option to save a life.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM

16,870 posts, read 10,516,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
What was the source of this "information?"

Again,. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'd just like to know where you are getting this.

Is this anything like the other poster's claim that there are people seeking to ban all guns?
People with Anxiety Losing their right to Own a Gun in New York

Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with self defense. But to me self defense is karate, judo, kray maga and all the martial arts. Have you seen these dedicated people in action. I have and they could take out a fly on the wall. Oh but you need a gun for self defense.
Those forms a defense are good, but they hold little value when the perpetrator is substantially stronger and taller than the victim (man v women).

Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 PM

31,909 posts, read 14,904,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You are more likely to need a gun for protection outside your home than inside it.
I disagree. There are many home invasions in my area and less gun fights in public lol

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,317,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
She said that if she could get 51 votes to ban all guns should would confiscate them from the American people.
Where did she say that?

Certainly not in that clip. In that clip she was speaking of assault weapons.

Once again, for all I know, this clown might be interested in banning all guns to trying to exhort all gun owners to turn in their weapons. If so, that's clearly crazy.

As far as I know, there isn't anyone in American politics seeking to "ban all guns." If there is such a person or group, they may as well give up. Not only is it wrong-headed and stupid, it has about as much chance of ever being passed as a law forcing everyone to cannibalize their own family members.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
No I'm on the east coast but thank you for the offer. I am really not against guns for your home. I just don't want them in public.
Your reasoning for not wanting them in public just doesn't fly. Drywall and even wood is not going to prevent a bullet from hitting your neighbors, cars driving by, or even people who are going for a walk.. I think you just have a phobia that isn't based on logical facts.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Where did she say that?

Once again, for all I know, this clown might be interested in banning all guns to trying to exhort all gun owners to turn in their weapons. If so, that's clearly crazy.

As far as I know, there isn't anyone in American politics seeking to "ban all guns." If there is such a person or group, they may as well give up. Not only is it wrong-headed and stupid, it has about as much chance of ever being passed as a law forcing everyone to cannibalize their own family members.
She did say that in that clip. She had already banned assault weapons at that time and was refering to the fact that if she had the votes, she would have banned all guns. You did not even know about this clip, and you do not know the context in which she said it in. As far as I can tell, you don't know much of anything on the subject.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 PM

31,909 posts, read 14,904,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko;31404909[B
]Yes, but not everyone can be a 6 foot 200+ pound martial artist.[/b] If you took defense classes, do you really believe that you could take a guy out? What if I take defense classes and the criminal or criminal are beating me to death. Criminals are cowards who carry guns, how would I defend myself against that?

You're getting things confused. A gun is for use when there aren't any other option to save a life.
You can't be serious, size does not matter. My kids have taken martial arts since they were 5 and you better believe they could take someone out with just a few moves. They are now adults and I wouldn't want to be in a dark alley with them

Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Where did she say that?

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies