Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If the sea level has raised it didn't do it evenly
It hasn't. Probably for reasons similar to those that cause the tide to be different in different places.

Sea Level Trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You silly lubbers have no idea and buy Al Gore's fat, lock stock and barrel. We should be harvesting AL shortly for oil and lube.
Al Gore has nothing to do with it. I don't even know the guy. And you're still wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Apparent sea level can and does vary because of glacial rebound. Post-glacial rebound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yeah yeah look up ossipee lake..... As the land rises up the water gets spread out. That was the point of the grape juice in the fables with the fox and the goose.

On Earth for the moment there is just so much water. No more than and no less than. The Earth is a living breathing thing...... What's here basically will be here until earth is eaten by the sun.

Not much silly man does will matter in the end. All plastics will be come carbon once again. Once the sea was 400 miles off shore in the New England area. The entire North Sea was once dry land with People living on it.

A little more or a little less water won't really matter on the shore except for the notion of silly man and his stupid dollars and cents .....

I suggest if the water gets too deep you MOVE to higher ground.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
It hasn't. Probably for reasons similar to those that cause the tide to be different in different places.

Sea Level Trends

Al Gore has nothing to do with it. I don't even know the guy. And you're still wrong.
The tides have nothing to do with sea level. The tides have everything to do with global rotation and the gravity pull of the moon. There is far less activity along the line of the equator than say in the Bay of Fundy.

Al Gore is wrong, and all his silly so called scientists have always been wrong, but in part because they selected only supporting data. The best of science came from Sea men long before AL Gore. Years and years of wind and current observations. Like i said it took until the mid 1960's for clipper ships to get beat in speed records by oil powered water craft.

In part oil powered water craft had to relearn the use of the winds and currents, to beat these speed records too.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
No I will be waiting the rest of my life to see sea level be higher on one place than another. You PC warmists seem to have the idea sea level can vary from place to place. I assure you sea level IS sea level the world around.
That is not entirely true. The sea levels have changed throughout the planet's history, but you are correct in that it had absolutely nothing to do with the amount of ice.

During the Jurassic, for example, the sea levels slowly, but steadily, rose after the break-up of Pangaea at the end of the Triassic. This was caused by a rise in Earth's crust caused by volcanic rifting which increased sea levels by roughly 560 feet (170 meters). As a result, what we now call North America's "breadbasket" was completely submerged forming a shallow sea from the Gulf of Mexico to the Arctic Ocean. At the peak of the Cretaceous approximately one third of what is now land was submerged.

As the ocean floor moves away from the hot and shallow mid-ocean ridges into parts of the abyssal plains, it cools and sinks. As a result the long-term trend in sea levels since the Cretaceous has been downward. Currently the mid-ocean ridges lie, on average, 1.6 miles (2.5 kilometers) beneath sea level, while the abyssal plains sit 3.7 miles (6 kilometers) deep.

That is a huge difference, and if you change the relative proportion of mid-ocean ridges and abyssal plains in the ocean basins, you change the ocean's volume.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I have no preconceived notions. Only when a few enrich themselves over an event that is as ambiguous as this makes me think something is wrong.
I am just gonna go out on a limb and say that you are lying..... You realize how easy it is to search your posting history and see what preconceived notions you bring to the table.

Or look in a mirror and swear on everything you love and hold dear what you said is not a lie.

Quote:
I don't explain what is obvious to those who think they know everything.
You are living in a dreamworld if you think those countries will stop what they are doing.
Again.... I'm going out on a limb here and calling you out. I don't think YOU can explain the difference between a scientific theory and law. LOLZ.... I mean it was your claim in the beginning and you can't even defend yourself.....

Quote:
My claim was not a lie.

Volcanos caused climate change, man has not.

Deal with it.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLZ

You can't even muster a link to support your statements and can only reply "deal with it." How impotent.

Last edited by dv1033; 09-10-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Don't agree with me? Is that what you are calling it? Odd, I always thought making an accusation of someone being paid for by big oil and calling them a denier to be more than disagreement, but then you have been caught with your hand in the cookie jar multiple times only to claim otherwise.
Go on.......

Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is not entirely true. The sea levels have changed throughout the planet's history, but you are correct in that it had absolutely nothing to do with the amount of ice.

During the Jurassic, for example, the sea levels slowly, but steadily, rose after the break-up of Pangaea at the end of the Triassic. This was caused by a rise in Earth's crust caused by volcanic rifting which increased sea levels by roughly 560 feet (170 meters). As a result, what we now call North America's "breadbasket" was completely submerged forming a shallow sea from the Gulf of Mexico to the Arctic Ocean. At the peak of the Cretaceous approximately one third of what is now land was submerged.

As the ocean floor moves away from the hot and shallow mid-ocean ridges into parts of the abyssal plains, it cools and sinks. As a result the long-term trend in sea levels since the Cretaceous has been downward. Currently the mid-ocean ridges lie, on average, 1.6 miles (2.5 kilometers) beneath sea level, while the abyssal plains sit 3.7 miles (6 kilometers) deep.

That is a huge difference, and if you change the relative proportion of mid-ocean ridges and abyssal plains in the ocean basins, you change the ocean's volume.
I have seen these maps and find them fascinating, as well as ancient relics around the USA I have seen in person. T Rex tracks cast in coal in Tn, A hill called Ash Fall in Nebraska which was a swamp the day a volcano blew up somewhere to the west, and of which I have a piece of petrified live oak i found on the elk river near west point.

I also have a early archaic period tear drop fish net sinker dredged up off Maine in Frenchmen's Bay, from a time when the sea level was much shallower than it is now.

The Earth changes you mention are far different than the weight of a glacier pressing down earth in certain locations.

I expect all the ice to melt before it all comes back to cover the globe completely again and at that before the sun devourers Earth.

I just think it's silly to worry about a little rise of salt water where man's cities may be flooded out of existence as if what man does is all so God like and mighty.

Back in the little ice age life went on so far as man could make it. They made commercial ice boats to freight up the Hudson and did what they could with plants for foods.

This summer being COLD and wet with late killing frosts here, and early frosts now are raising hell on ALL local gardens too.

There should be no killing frosts this early in NH even but there is.

These quasi so called scientist are way off base and only a city dweller would still be foolish enough to believe it. People who do not live near the sea and do not grow what they eat. One day they will get a rude awakening when the stores have nothing on the shelves.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
I have seen these maps and find them fascinating, as well as ancient relics around the USA I have seen in person. T Rex tracks cast in coal in Tn, A hill called Ash Fall in Nebraska which was a swamp the day a volcano blew up somewhere to the west, and of which I have a piece of petrified live oak i found on the elk river near west point.

I also have a early archaic period tear drop fish net sinker dredged up off Maine in Frenchmen's Bay, from a time when the sea level was much shallower than it is now.

The Earth changes you mention are far different than the weight of a glacier pressing down earth in certain locations.

I expect all the ice to melt before it all comes back to cover the globe completely again and at that before the sun devourers Earth.

I just think it's silly to worry about a little rise of salt water where man's cities may be flooded out of existence as if what man does is all so God like and mighty.

Back in the little ice age life went on so far as man could make it. They made commercial ice boats to freight up the Hudson and did what they could with plants for foods.

This summer being COLD and wet with late killing frosts here, and early frosts now are raising hell on ALL local gardens too.

There should be no killing frosts this early in NH even but there is.

These quasi so called scientist are way off base and only a city dweller would still be foolish enough to believe it. People who do not live near the sea and do not grow what they eat. One day they will get a rude awakening when the stores have nothing on the shelves.
Like I said, the changes in the sea level have absolutely nothing to do with the amount of ice on the planet. There was no ice at either pole during the Jurassic or Cretaceous periods. The ice-age cycles did not appear until around 40 million years ago when the Indian continent slammed into the Eurasian continent and formed the Himalayan mountain range and the Tibetan plateau.

When these ice-ages began the amount of ice that formed on land would reduce the sea levels some, but not much. The idea that the weight of the ice could press down on the Earth's crust is pure fantasy bordering on lunacy.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When these ice-ages began the amount of ice that formed on land would reduce the sea levels some, but not much. The idea that the weight of the ice could press down on the Earth's crust is pure fantasy bordering on lunacy.
It's real stuff actually:

Post-glacial rebound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
According to NASA 97% of all climate scientists say "man made global warming is happening."
Climate Change: Consensus

NASA also says that global warming could flip this planet inside out, and destroy life in America.
A Chilling Possibility - NASA Science

But Exxon Mobile and corporate backed Fox news and Rush radio say "man made global warming is not happening." They say this because if we do something about global warming it will decrease Exxon's and other corporations profits.

ExxonMobil Continues Funding Global Warming Denial Groups Despite Repeated Pledges to Stop | ThinkProgress
Meet The Climate Denial Machine | Blog | Media Matters for America
Climate change denial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who do you trust NASA or Fox news?

The following Australian documentary has scientists and other experts that classify Fox news and Rush radio as "corporate propaganda groups." Fox/Rush's only true purpose is to increase profits for large corporations (as the following Australian documentary shows/explains.)

The Billionaires' Tea Party (Full Length Documentary) - YouTube

If the CEO's at Fox and Rush told you the moon was made out of Swiss cheese, would you believe them ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies