Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times

Advertisements

Here we go again.

There has already been 3 or 4 threads started on this and it has been debunked as tabloid media getting the science wrong .... again. Now we have Fox Entertainment "News" jumping on the bandwagon and "reporting" the same tabloid story.

The tabloid press love you guys for swallowing everything they print without bothering to check the facts first. Fox News loves you too.

They couldn't even get the percentage right. It's 45% up from 2012 which was a record breaking low, not 60%. It was expected to be more than 2012. But the trend is continuing to decrease.

Arctic Sea Ice Delusions strike the Mail on Sunday and Telegraph
"When it comes to climate science reporting, the Mail on Sunday and Telegraph are only reliable in the sense that you can rely on them to usually get the science wrong. This weekend's Arctic sea ice articles from David Rose of the Mail and Hayley Dixon at the Telegraph unfortunately fit that pattern.

Both articles claimed that Arctic sea ice extent grew 60 percent in August 2013 as compared to August 2012. While this factoid is technically true, it's also largely irrelevant. For one thing, the annual Arctic sea ice minimum occurs in September – we're not there yet. And while this year's minimum extent will certainly be higher than last year's, that's not the least bit surprising. "Around 80% of the ~100 scientists at the Bjerknes [Arctic climate science] conference thought that there would be MORE Arctic sea-ice in 2013, compared to 2012."

The reason so many climate scientists predicted more ice this year than last is quite simple. There's a principle in statistics known as "regression toward the mean," which is the phenomenon that if an extreme value of a variable is observed, the next measurement will generally be less extreme. In other words, we should not often expect to observe records in consecutive years. 2012 shattered the previous record low sea ice extent; hence 'regression towards the mean' told us that 2013 would likely have a higher minimum extent."

Last edited by Ceist; 09-10-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
We had members of the AGW crowd predicting "ice free" not ice increases.

We also look like this year might set a new record for the most quiet Atlantic hurricane season ever.

Quiet 2013 Hurricane Season a 'Head Scratcher' for Embarrassed Forecasters
With records going back to 1851, Dennis Feltgen, a spokesman for the U.S. National Hurricane Center, said there had been only 17 years when the first Atlantic hurricane formed after Sept. 4

Since the dawn of the satellite era in the mid-1960s, Feltgen said the latest date for the first hurricane to arrive was set by Gustav when it made its debut on Sept. 11, 2002.

NOAA: 'Very Active' 2013 Hurricane Season Predicted- weather.com

NOAA still expects an above average number of named storms this season and says the season has the potential to be "very active".

80% of all Atlantic named tropical cyclones form in the three-month period from August through October.

“Our confidence for an above-normal season is still high because the predicted atmospheric and oceanic conditions that are favorable for storm development have materialized,” said Gerry Bell, Ph.D., lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,938 times
Dontcha know, two data points doth a scientist make. Mealwhile in the southern hemisphere, we have had one of the mildest winters in my lifetime and we have had snow on table mountain

Whaa it is sooo confusing....

Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Fox News

Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,219,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Al Gore was using fear and free enterprise to enrich himself

Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Here we go again.

There has already been 3 or 4 threads started on this and it has been debunked as tabloid media getting the science wrong .... again. Now we have Fox Entertainment "News" jumping on the bandwagon and "reporting" the same tabloid story.

The tabloid press love you guys for swallowing everything they print without bothering to check the facts first. Fox News loves you too.

They couldn't even get the percentage right. It's 45% up from 2012 which was a record breaking low, not 60%. It was expected to be more than 2012. But the trend is continuing to decrease.

Arctic Sea Ice Delusions strike the Mail on Sunday and Telegraph
"When it comes to climate science reporting, the Mail on Sunday and Telegraph are only reliable in the sense that you can rely on them to usually get the science wrong. This weekend's Arctic sea ice articles from David Rose of the Mail and Hayley Dixon at the Telegraph unfortunately fit that pattern.

Both articles claimed that Arctic sea ice extent grew 60 percent in August 2013 as compared to August 2012. While this factoid is technically true, it's also largely irrelevant. For one thing, the annual Arctic sea ice minimum occurs in September – we're not there yet. And while this year's minimum extent will certainly be higher than last year's, that's not the least bit surprising. "Around 80% of the ~100 scientists at the Bjerknes [Arctic climate science] conference thought that there would be MORE Arctic sea-ice in 2013, compared to 2012."

The reason so many climate scientists predicted more ice this year than last is quite simple. There's a principle in statistics known as "regression toward the mean," which is the phenomenon that if an extreme value of a variable is observed, the next measurement will generally be less extreme. In other words, we should not often expect to observe records in consecutive years. 2012 shattered the previous record low sea ice extent; hence 'regression towards the mean' told us that 2013 would likely have a higher minimum extent."
Wait... you combat one media claiming bias and then use another as written by Dana Nuccitelli as evidence? You do realize this is the guy one of the authors of the 97% paper whose "statistical methods" were found to not just wrong, but complete garbage?

Obviously the 60% growth is a play on words, but Nuccitelli explanation doesn't hold water. For instance, he claims 80% of the 100 hundred at the Bjerknes conference (as if this establishes anything) already predicted this, but... he provides no citation of this claim? Is this another 97% = .03% claim? Hard to say as we can't verify his claim. He links only to a short page on the conference, no specific statements by these 80 scientists to back up his claim.

Personally, after him and Cooks last couple of papers, I am very skeptical of anything he provides, especially after the thorough thrashing he received from Monckton and Spencer for his blatant falsehoods.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
I think it is interesting that global warming believers are saying "You can't look at next year".... then the year after, nor the year after that, or any year where there is an increase in global ice... basically you can only look at evidence where there is a decrease in global ice... global warming is such BS...

Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,048 times
No no. The denialist's simplistic arguments and cartoonish understanding of this issue is what's BS. As is their attempts to pretend tabloids and the blogs of cue-card readers are scientific publications.

I've never heard of Table Mountain. Is there a reason I should pretend its snowpack is a 1:1 indicator of global temperature averages? Obviously some denialist thinks this is good science. It's not, but I'd like to hear why the denialist thinks otherwise because I could use a laugh.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
No no. The denialist's simplistic arguments and cartoonish understanding of this issue is what's BS. As is their attempts to pretend tabloids and the blogs of cue-card readers are scientific publications.

I've never heard of Table Mountain. Is there a reason I should pretend its snowpack is a 1:1 indicator of global temperature averages? Obviously some denialist thinks this is good science. It's not, but I'd like to hear why the denialist thinks otherwise because I could use a laugh.
Last time I checked, I brought some scientific research while you brought only rhetoric and fallacious accusations. Your overuse of the word "denialist" betrays you as nothing more than another political activist talking point lackey and not even a clever one at that.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,048 times
I had one who isn't on my ignore list in mind, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies