Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 05:11 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times

Advertisements

GEICO Commercial: Are Homeless People Really Homeless? - YouTube

That had me rolling like I was driving a Mercedes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 05:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times
OK, that looks like a spoof. Silly.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Thread fail............auto-delete!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Thread win. Sorry, did you say something?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Awesome

Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
OK, that looks like a spoof. Silly.
Nothing gets by you, does it?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
I used to live in Kansas City, and the panhandlers there were famous. I even worked for a year on a construction project on in the Country Club Plaza and saw KC's most famous panhandler, Jerry Mazer, every day. He has a vehicle and rents an apartment, but every day he was at his regular spot in front of Barnes and Nobel. His schtick is asking people for a contribution for a "down payment on a cheeseburger".

Here's a primer for the most famous KC panhandlers: A Holiday Catalog of Bumming | Feature | The Pitch

My favorite lines:
Quote:
Name: Vincent
Justification: "I'm not homeless. This is a job. I have a $78,000 home. I come out here. I sit on my bucket eight to 12 hours a day. I average 150 to 200 bucks a day. No job is gonna pay me that. So why not sit on my ass and get tax-free money? Everything I have on now was purchased from The Gap by customers. That's three sweaters, these jeans and this new plaid jacket. I've paid for the mortgage on my house, for light, gas, Dish Network and two cell phones." He commuted here in his Cadillac until he was spotted by a regular contributor, who got angry. He now gets dropped off and picked up to preserve his cover.
Quote:
Name: James "J-Wizz" Hawthorn
Distinction: He dances like he's being electrocuted.
Justification: "I can't have a job. I receive disability."
And my favorite:
Quote:
Name: Ron Johnson
Tools: Curious George doll strapped to a white basket
Justification: "I just don't put myself in the same category as these street people. I live by a value system. I don't take money under false pretenses. I don't sit here and pretend I'm crippled or I need a cheeseburger. I don't consider what I do panhandling or soliciting or begging. It's quite simple. I sit here with my monkey, and when people see the monkey, they smile. They laugh. I'm giving them something. And if they are so compelled, they give me something. I call that fair exchange. It's no different than people who come down here and throw money in the fountains. In a way, it's a form of entertainment for them. I just sit here and let people react. It's all about the human condition."

Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Nothing gets by you, does it?
LOL. Well oddly I would assume they got GEICO's permission. Seems they may have gotten paid for it.
That in itself is a bit surprising that their name was used. The stereo type is pretty old though.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I used to live in Kansas City, and the panhandlers there were famous. I even worked for a year on a construction project on in the Country Club Plaza and saw KC's most famous panhandler, Jerry Mazer, every day. He has a vehicle and rents an apartment, but every day he was at his regular spot in front of Barnes and Nobel. His schtick is asking people for a contribution for a "down payment on a cheeseburger".

Here's a primer for the most famous KC panhandlers: A Holiday Catalog of Bumming | Feature | The Pitch

My favorite lines:

And my favorite:
whaddaya mean 'i can't have a job ? he has a job, what he means is he can't have reported income. '

Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
whaddaya mean 'i can't have a job ? he has a job, what he means is he can't have reported income. '
Exactly... they all have jobs and provide a service. For a small fee they will absolve a tiny bit of guilt and make you feel better about yourself. The fact that they ignited the feelings of guilt by begging is akin to a tire repair shop salting the road with nails, but that's beside the point.

Panhandlers do work hard. I moved to Chattanooga 8 years ago, and the same guy has been trying to fix the same flat in the Hamilton Place area with the same empty can of Fix-a-Flat the entire time. Poor guy. A man downtown has really good vision and can read things like ID badges and name tags from a considerable distance so he calls you by name like an old friend before he walks up. He's so good that a few local businesses actually sent out warnings to employees with his picture. Another guy walks around with an electric drill asking for a few bucks to help him repair something of his mom's. A woman has a couple of paper cards with the name of the local bus line (CARTA), saying she got cheated because they were supposed to be bus fare.

The truly homeless and hungry, however, I will help. I donate to the local food bank (Chattanooga Community Kitchen) and the United Way. I help out a couple of co-worker's and my building's security guard who have "adopted" a homeless guy who sleeps in the alley behind our building.

Also, I reward true benefits. If a street artist is good enough to get me to pause and watch or listen, or even if he just improves my mood by helping the ambiance, he has earned a few bucks from me.

I have no sympathy for panhandlers and scam artists. Mainly because their entire job revolves around lying to me.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 09-11-2013 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies