Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I served 6 years and never once asked for a military discount. Is the problem with people asking for the discount or the constant barrage of military worship pushed on consumers by the media and retailers who make anyone who served feel entitled to a discount?

There are alot of veterans in this country, and I bet 95% of them don't ask for discounts. Maybe this has changed since 9/11, but I still bet its 90% of vets (or higher) not asking.
im with you.

however, there are a number of places that offer military discounts. those that advertise, i might bring it up.

like Lowes. They state clearly they offer a 10% discount to vets. so when I go there and spend lots of money i will get that discount.

Now, i dont walk into a resturant and say 'hey gimme sumpen!" I suspect neither of us joined so we could get discounts at the grocery store...

Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
I'm a government employee, I always ask about discounts because many businesses have deals (I get 15% off my phone bill, for example) for government employees - or AAA members, or what have you, it's not uncommon.

So, maybe they're asking for the same reason I am - not to get a discount because they are in military, but because they think your business might have a deal/policy that grants said discounts.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Okay.
Its not stupid, knowing what your getting into, its ignorance. No one person can tell you exactly what you get yourself into when you join, not just enlist as you put it, put OCS to. Dont kid yourself. I know of SPECWAR guys that never saw combat in 30 years..
The nations worldy actions determine much of your fate within the service, not just the job you sign up for or, depending on the branch and your ASVAB scores/medical. Its not a crystal ball like you may think.
Going to college and learning a non usefull skill to society may sound great while you are there. But when you cant find a job after 6 years of liberal arts...No different.
And, no one is whining. 10% is a nice discount if offered. If they dont want to offer it, then dont. Asking for it is no different than asking for extra ketchup, free coffee or any other things merchants offer as incentive to go there.
Apparently you missed the part where people are asking for discounts where they're not being offered.
That's the ridiculous entitlement mentality.
You join; you make choices; you don't have to re-up.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently you missed the part where people are asking for discounts where they're not being offered.
Two words

Stop Gap

And I knew several folks who were.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
I have never served in the Military but have family members and friends who have served. If you are willing to strap on a Uniform to protect me and my family and willing to die in the process what is the problem with giving them a "discount"? The better Question should be why do we give Senior citizens discounts just because they are old?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Understand all. No different han people getting disabilty or welfare and not really entitled...

Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
If there is no company policy i would only give he discount to active military

Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ask your dad if he'd deny the guy who worked in the motor pool the discount. I'd be shocked if he said, "yes".

Uncle Sam sends people where he wants to send them. Your dad got sent to Vietnam. Some guys got sent to Germany or Japan. I've never known a combat vet (especially one who was in Vietnam) who thinks his service counted more than the lucky dog who didn't have to see Da Nang.
Actually my dad never talked about it much because some he would probably like to forget, except the funny moments like being served dog in Korea and not knowing it, or the fact that he wouldn't eat rice for years after Korea, he mentioned times about R&R in Japan, he mentioned the Captain who would send him on point because they didn't get along and the Capt wanted his Walther P38. He told me about the "burp gun" that ran a string of bullets up his pants leg missing him barely.

But, I have a friend who went into the army for 3 years driving a deuce and a half. He hated the army, got out as soon as he could, that was the late 80's. Am I suppose to thank him for his service and believe that he is owed discounts?

My thread my discussion is not anti military it is not anti vet. I obviously don't have a problem giving a military discount since I choose to do so on numerous occasions. What peeves me lately is SOME customers who ask me in a way that if I say no or say "no my company has no policy" which it doesn't, it is to make me feel like I am unappreciative of them.

The other day driving I was behind a car with loaded with pro military bumper stickers that included "support the troops" and such and especially one that peeved me was the one "if you love your freedom thank a soldier". Even tonight on my way home a car in front of me had a license bracket with "support the troops". Nothing wrong with that in a sense but this "patriot correctness" that has exploded seems not based on patriotism sometimes but more indoctrination. After enough of said indoctrination then a discount comes off as a entitlement by some more than a perk.

The way I see it, if you really want to support the troops, make sure politicians uphold benefits promised in a contract and stop sending them into ill-conceived wars.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
For me, I only ask for a military discount only if a store has advertised it. And before I ask, I'm sure to have my CAC in hand.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM

349 posts, read 260,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So my day job is in sales. Won't go into details about what kind of sales but in includes phone and face to face service with customers along with internet sales.

Lately I have been getting a trend where at least once a week it seems I get asked that question. "Can I get a military discount"? From customers who are either very retired from the military because they sure don't look military at all or occasionally from someone who is active and in uniform.

Now I will tell you I come from a military family though I never served in the military myself. My dad was a lifer 22 years through two wars, so are some of my other family. I will also tell you that when I have a customer who walks in wearing a uniform I AUTOMATICALLY shave off some of the price without them knowing because that's who I am. I do that off my own choice when there is room to work on the price.

But I am starting to get peeved by the more and more common question of being asked if they can get a discounted because of supposed military service. I am at the point I am going to start asking for proof of service. And I am not talking about 3 years service in motor pool in the army someone did 20 years ago.....

My dad did 22 years and two wars with shrapnel still in his back from Vietnam and has never asked for discounts other than what was promised to him by the government. He frowns on people who wear their service on their sleeve so maybe that's why I am thinking like this.

In the last decade especially there has been a "patriot correctness" attitude that emerged especially after 9-11 where "support the troops" and "thank you for your service" has been embedded into people's thoughts to where they recite it almost automatically where our society of being "free"exists supposedly only because of someone in the military and how SOOOO much is owed to them even beyond the promises made by their contract.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate their service, but it seems some are jumping on a bandwagon to exploit it and I don't blame them so much for trying as I do society for putting them so high on a pedestal. I never have firefighter or police customers asking for a discount. Hardly ever has it been a active duty military person who asked me, it usually is someone who is a civilian who when asking doesn't even try to show me proof of ever have served.
Stop crying like a kid over somebody else's milk!!!!...MOST companies have a military discount program that sometimes even the employees aren't aware of.
If aveteran wants to take advantage of that discount, many times they have to inquire.

As a sidenote MANY police officers receive discounts, some by asking and sometimes it's automatically given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies