Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

George W. Bush did not knowingly lie about WMDs in Iraq | Other voices - The News Tribune

A good op-ed by a Yale prof who also does a column for Bloomberg News. He confirms what any reasonably intelligent person not suffering from a derangement syndrome should already know: there were no "lies about WMD" from the Bush admin. He cites a book by Brit journalist Gordon Corera for his evidence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Carter
Corera has combed available public sources, both official investigations and various memoirs, and added to it his own reporting, most of it from anonymous intelligence sources. His ironic conclusion: “Everyone, including the spies, was convinced by the intelligence that said Saddam had the weapons,” he writes. Yet “they were not sure it looked strong enough to win the argument.”
By everyone, Corera means everyone. As he reminds us, even Hans Blix, the chief United Nations arms inspector before the war, believed that Saddam Hussein had hidden weapons of mass destruction
As I have posted before, even Saddam's own senior officers believed it. It was all a consequence of Saddam's 'deterrence by doubt' strategy which was mainly intended to cow the Iranians. Saddam confirmed this in interrogations after being captured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Carter
Saddam’s penchant for secrecy only made matters worse: “Every [Iraqi] general knew he did not have the special weapons but thought his counterpart down the road did.”.
I believe that the "Bush lied, thousands died" meme will be remembered by historians as one of the biggest idiocies of US politics ever. Maybe even more worrisome that the meme itself was the fact that it was so widely embraced by so many Americans. There is doubtlessl a large percentage of the population, maybe even a majority, who still believe it. If a large number of people in a democratically-run nation can be persuaded of a stupid and easily disproven proposition, that nation is in trouble.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
There was a PBS documentary that also came to the conclusion that Bush did not lie and there was evidence suggesting that Saddam had the weapons. They claimed that the intelligence would feed Bush what he wanted to hear and leave out evidence to the contrary...as one officer said something to the effect of "we wanted to be liked by Bush" ....one might blame Bush though for having that kind of culture among those advising him.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,664 times
The thing that bothers me is why is that question important?

The real deceit comes with making something of it.

We gave Iraq all of its, weapons of mass destruction.

The question is why did we go to war with Iraq?

Unless, Saddam's announcement that Iraq would sell oil in euros only was the true "weapon of mass destruction".

Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
gosh i dont know but we invaded a country one million people died, and we did not find a single WMD.
been there ever since 10 years later.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
gosh i dont know but we invaded a country one million people died, and we did not find a single WMD.
Define WMD.

Do chemical weapons that Saddam used to kill Kurds count as a WMD?

P.S. I agree with your general premise that we shouldn't have went in to Iraq.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Well, I don't think we found any euros there, either.

But if we were to have gone . . .

Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Define WMD.

Do chemical weapons that Saddam used to kill Kurds count as a WMD?
Not if he got them from the U.S.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
So you guys are still worried about the justification of a war based on WMD's that everyone knows he had but not worried about unjustified drone strikes on American citizens. That makes sense.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM

295 posts, read 358,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I believe that the "Bush lied, thousands died" meme will be remembered by historians as one of the biggest idiocies of US politics ever. Maybe even more worrisome that the meme itself was the fact that it was so widely embraced by so many Americans. There is doubtlessl a large percentage of the population, maybe even a majority, who still believe it. If a large number of people in a democratically-run nation can be persuaded of a stupid and easily disproven proposition, that nation is in trouble.
I believe history will regard the asinine waste of life, treasure and worldwide goodwill of that war in an ever increasing level of infamy that it will eventually converge with Vietnam as our country's greatest foreign policy blunders.

It did get W reelected, but when the cost is considered, it was a gigantic pooch-screw.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So you guys are still worried about the justification of a war based on WMD's that everyone knows he had but not worried about unjustified drone strikes on American citizens. That makes sense.

The Yale prof talks about that very point towards the end of his piece. He says that Pres. Obama appears to be completely missing the lessons that should have been learned from the intel debacles the led up to the Iraq war. Maybe Pres. Obama and the US left did not learn the lessons they should have because they were too busy spinning fantastical memes like "Bush lied, thousands died."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies