Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If you're acting as an agent of the government, then under no circumstances should you be espousing religious beliefs while acting in that capacity.
This really should be the end of this thread. Sorry guys but you know it's wrong what this charity is doing, you're simply too pig-headed to admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Shame people have to go hungry because your gov puts up obstacles to prevent people who want to help from helping.Makes no sense to me.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If the church wants to use government funds, it has to play by the governments rules. The church can choose to use their own funds to help the poor, then they can have any pictures they want.
Spot on! And the rest of this story:

Quote:
A USDA spokesperson told me that “under current law, organizations that receive USDA nutrition assistance can still engage in religious activities so long as the activity is not used to create a barrier to eligible individuals receiving food.”
Read more: Florida official tells Christian charity to choose between Jesus and cheese | Fox News

Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Actually, it was this Christian Charity, receiving government assistance to feed the poor, that was saying, "No cheese until you worship Jesus!"

Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Shame people have to go hungry because your gov puts up obstacles to prevent people who want to help from helping.Makes no sense to me.
Apparently you didn't see the earlier post giving the what if if this were an Islam charity spouting about Islam. I know 100% you'd be screaming a different tune. Why are so many on here such hypocrites? And so twisting of the constitution to fit their situation.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
This really should be the end of this thread. Sorry guys but you know it's wrong what this charity is doing, you're simply too pig-headed to admit it.
Exactly what did the article note that they did that was wrong?

Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Or the Christian charity could just feed the people with no religious requirements.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Nvm

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-10-2013 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you can find where they required people to sit through a service I will agree with you. Until then you are assuming something not presented.
Well, the story quoted the FDA as saying in this case they were following guidelines, and it then went on to say those guidelines don't allow using religious activities as a barrier to receiving the service. I don't think it's far fetched to conclude the FDA was attempting to stop this ministry from using religious activities in that manner.

The problem is we only have one source here - a commentary from the opinion pages of FOX written by a guy who makes Pat Robertson look like a mainstream political and religious figure. I don't really trust what's been presented.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
That is not true at all. The religious organization is currently using their access to a captive audience to pitch their product. Can you imagine how much a secular business would pay for the government to send a steady supply of prospects that have no choice but to listen to their sales pitch?

Religious groups using food or other items purchased with taxpayer funds to attempt to increase their membership and market share is unconstitutional and reprehensible.

By your own admission it is more important for you to be able to spread your religious beliefs than it is to actually perform the charitable work.
No, it isn't more important to spread my religious beliefs but if you don't like who I am don't ask me to help you. It is a church, there will be religious pictures there. They object to the pictures, and my building, they don't need my help. Find a different place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies