Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,311,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess the old "for the children" is put on the back burner............

"For the past 31 years, the Christian ministry has been providing food to the hungry in Lake City, Fla. without any problems. But all that changed when they said a state government worker showed up to negotiate a new contract. “The (person) told us there was a slight change in the contract,” Daly told me. “They said we could no longer have religious information where the USDA food is being distributed. They told us we had to take that stuff down.”
Daly said it’s no secret that the Christian Service Center is a Christian ministry.
“We’ve got pictures of Christ on more than one wall,” she said. “It’s very clear we are not social services. We are a Christian ministry.”
Daly and her staff sat in stunned disbelief as the government agents also informed them that the Christian Service Center could no longer pray or provide Bibles to those in need. The government contract also forbade any references to the ministry’s chapel.
“We asked if we had to change the name of the organization but that said we could leave that,” Daly said. “But we had to take our religious stuff down.”

Isn't that nice the government didn't make em change their name.

Read more: Florida official tells Christian charity to choose between Jesus and cheese | Fox News

Its not under current law, there has been a line of separation between church and state since the country was founded.

Charities in Florida do this a lot, basically mandate you attend church services to get any help. While beggars can't be choosers, I'm not a beggar, and I can stand up for the rights of non religious poor folks all day long.

If its a public entity, or a private entity doing public work, then no religion should be forced on anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,940,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Wheres the outrage when Bank of America instructs its reps to stop saying "Merry Christmas" because they were sued by a Jewish cardholder.(WHO WON THE SUIT).

Corporations do the same thing. They cannot endorse religion, they will be civilly sued for damages. Its just the law.
Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,830,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
It sounds the consensus of the opposition is that they would prefer for the food to sit in a warehouse and these people go hungry than be distributed in a place that has pictures of Jesus on the walls.
Or, conversely, the church deems it more important to have pictures of Jesus on the wall than to feed the hungry.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,437,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
This is probably what she saw, and it's not exactly chuckle-worthy.
Christian Missionaries Go Home

I am sure you will get the wackos with the good. I think the good people outweigh them each time though.

21,695 posts, read 28,341,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
But when they make the rules you will have to follow them and I am sure they will make it all secular or you can't play.
What rules are you referring to? I haven't seen any rules that have dictated any type of secular or non-secular behaviour towards medical facilities regarding the Affordable Healthcare Act. Everything I have seen has dealt with insurance only. Can you provide links to which parts of the AHA you are referring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not under current law, there has been a line of separation between church and state since the country was founded.

Charities in Florida do this a lot, basically mandate you attend church services to get any help. While beggars can't be choosers, I'm not a beggar, and I can stand up for the rights of non religious poor folks all day long.

If its a public entity, or a private entity doing public work, then no religion should be forced on anyone.
A picture on the wall is not force. The courts have ruled on this. One can not force someone to go to a service to be served but there is nothing illegal about offering other services if one so chooses nor is there anything illegal about a picture on the wall.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Or, conversely, the church deems it more important to have pictures of Jesus on the wall than to feed the hungry.
Protecting our Constitutional rights is more important than feeding the hungry. Without those rights we become those countries with no rights and everyone hungry.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,341,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Wheres the outrage when Bank of America instructs its reps to stop saying "Merry Christmas" because they were sued by a Jewish cardholder.(WHO WON THE SUIT).

Corporations do the same thing. They cannot endorse religion, they will be civilly sued for damages. Its just the law.
I would like to see a link to this story. It is very uncommon behaviour for a Jewish person.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,437,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

If you think a picture of Jesus hanging on a wall is forcing religion on someone, it's you with the problem.

I have helped in a mission. The poor people come in, get their food, eat, and leave. Nothing is said about religion but they do have pictures of Jesus on the wall. If that is bothering people than they are the ones that have the problem and it is too big to fix.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,454,973 times
"Jesus and Cheese" would be a great band name...

Or a buddy cop show about a Puerto Rican officer named Jesus and his partner Frank "Cheese" Kowalski....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies