Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,925,717 times

Advertisements

Without naming any one particular group, I've noticed a few different groups have very poor work ethics. People of these minorities are always slacking off, constantly late, and giving excuses on why they are behind on work. I've dealt with these people many times at different jobs so its not a one region or company thing.

I know particular nations have bad GDP's because they are known to be "inefficient" which is a nice way of saying lazy. I've been in a few countries recently with that rep and I think its true...its like they fear hard work.

To the thread question, is it because of their family upbringing? Their culture? Is working hard considered a rube thing to do?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM

198 posts, read 261,203 times
Boy, that's the most stereotypical sweeping generalization I've ever heard of. There are slackers in EVERY race.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,284,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Without naming any one particular group, I've noticed a few different groups have very poor work ethics. People of these minorities are always slacking off, constantly late, and giving excuses on why they are behind on work. I've dealt with these people many times at different jobs so its not a one region or company thing.

I know particular nations have bad GDP's because they are known to be "inefficient" which is a nice way of saying lazy. I've been in a few countries recently with that rep and I think its true...its like they fear hard work.

To the thread question, is it because of their family upbringing? Their culture? Is working hard considered a rube thing to do?
In order for this to be a "great debate" I would ask that you provide proof of your assertion.

Work Ethic: Is It A Race Or Ethnicity Issue? | USA on Race

Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,495,482 times
hey Dud it is "work ethic" - not work "ethics". I doubt ethics is a discussion you'd want to be involved in.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,671 times
It's very hard to give an accurate response without the specific group being mentioned. As far as my personal experiences go, it depends on the person.. I've seen slackers in every race and hard workers in every race:

I've seen the entitled white college grad who plays on the phone under the desk all day at work and expect a 70k paycheck.
I've seen the hoodrat black person who rather 'chill' all day.
I've seen the pretentious asian girl who thinks she's too glam to lift a finger.

HOWEVER

I've also seen the dedicated hard-working blue collar white man.
I've also seen the motivated black single mother who has to bust her butt off to feed her kids.
I've also seen the committed undocumented hispanic laborer who has no time for games.
I've also seen the professional black man who works hard to fight against negative stereotypes.
I've also seen the well-disciplined asian man whose work is everything to them.

Lots and lots of work experience..

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 09-10-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,234,659 times
Quote:

I suspect it all starts from the top.
Look at the upper level of any given ethnicity - what's their ethics are like? Do they organize their society in such way that their people have a good shot at success, a fair chance to better their lives, something to look forward to? Or are they selfish and corrupt, thinking only about their own well-being and their own stylish way of life? Because in first case scenario you'll get a lot of hard-working people under their command, striving for success, while in second case scenario you'll get a lot of indifferent people, trying just to get by.
That's the first part of the answer, and the second one - why certain ethnic groups know how to sing and dance better than the other ones?

Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM

215 posts, read 296,004 times
Maybe it has more to do with certain ethnic groups living in very warm climates, where they worked around the times the sun was not at its hottest. Or those ethnic groups didn't grow up on the Puritan Work Ethic, and they drink wine at their two hour lunches and take vacations seriously.

Last edited by curly_Q; 09-10-2013 at 06:05 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 14,104 times
When looking at human things, it is good to take into account the whole "human experience" pack. Work-for-money is just one aspect of it. Different cultures approach the problem of the balance of all aspects of life in different ways. Quoting Robert A. Heinlein,
Quote:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
IMHO, modern western life drives us dangerously towards the way of insects and away from the path of humans.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 PM

20,849 posts, read 19,322,755 times
Quote:
People of these minorities are always slacking off, constantly late, and giving excuses on why they are behind on work. I've dealt with these people many times at different jobs so its not a one region or company thing.
Maybe they know they can get away with it...or else sue for discrimination.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,688,144 times
On the flip side, why do certain ethnic groups work so hard and are so dependable? Mexicans for example. Every Mexican I have known is a hard worker and does jobs that would kill most other people.......for example, lawn maintenance in 100 degree heat.

I worked with a young Mexican guy and he was always on time, even if he had to bum a ride or take his bike. Today he has his own mobile marine repair business and I see him at work from early in the morning till late at night, getting parts, and he is out there 7 days a week.

I also found him to be very honest. He would sometimes come to me on a Wednesday and ask if he could borrow some money to hold him over till Friday. I normally don't like to lend money, but did, and he would always be at my desk on Friday handing me back every penny I loaned him.

I know that is a generalization, based on one person, but I have seen lots of Mexicans who work very hard to support their families. But I think I know the other group the OP was speaking about, and I have seen what he describes many times too.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies