Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support "Isolationism" ?
Yes America is not the police force of the world, we should improve America not the rest of the world. 53 62.35%
No America has the moral obligation to the world. 7 8.24%
Other. 15 17.65%
We should only go to war if attack, hit hard, and leave not nation building. 29 34.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:17 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,497,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Military isolationism is hardly independent from economic these days.

Eisenhower warned us about that, just like Andrew Jackson warned us about the federal reserve.

Did the ignorant people listen? Hell No!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,847,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I support non intervention and open trade.
Exactly.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,454,261 times
There is no such thing, in a US context, as isolationism. We have never in our history been isolated. Japan from the 1600s to the 1800s is an example of a country successfully isolating itself; we never did that or even attempted to.

I am, however, a strong and proud proponent of presumptive neutrality in international affairs, the view commonly derided by the simple as "isolationism."

Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,528,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
Where did you hear this? Japan's economic industry is part of the global economy. Despite it's current problems, the Japanese economy is still admirably strong. And they don't even have a real military.
Sure, the Japanese have a large GDP, but they have internal debt and currency issues. They're an integral part of the world economy, absolutely. But they are in a curious military predicament due to past conflicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Eisenhower warned us about that, just like Andrew Jackson warned us about the federal reserve.

I don't often agree with you, but the M.I.C. is something to be frightened about. Frightened and warned.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM

415 posts, read 598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Sure, the Japanese have a large GDP, but they have internal debt and currency issues. They're an integral part of the world economy, absolutely. But they are in a curious military predicament due to past conflicts.
And the U.S. doesn't have internal debt and currency issues? My point is countries like Japan have been able to get a large GDP without a military. Military isolationism is independent of economic isolationism.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,181,318 times
I am not for Isolationism, but I am for limits on what w involve ourselves in.
An old Chinese proverb.
There was a dog that everyone was afraid of. At first the dog liked being feared. Then one day he noticed how other dogs were treated better than he was. Kids gave the other dogs treats, petted them and loved them.
The dog heard of a wise man who could talk to animals and he went to visit the wise man.
After hearing the dog's story the wise man told him to stop biting people.
The dog was determined to turn over a new leaf.
The dog stopped growling and biting and he wagged his tail. At first everyone was still afraid, but soon they got over the past.
The dog was never so happy. Soon the boys started to tease the dog. They played mean tricks and taunted him. Soon even the small dogs lost all respect for the dog.
The dog went to see the wise man again. The wise man was shocked. The dog was a shadow of what he once was.
"My friend what has happened to you?" asked the wise man.
The dog said " I did everything you said. I stopped biting and growling. I wag my tail for everyone, play fetch. Now everyone teases me. No One respects me."
The wise man frowned. "My friend I never said to stop growling."

The USA tends to go to extremes. All in or all out. The last 60 years has been an all in deal. We know best.
Moderation is in order. We don't need to bomb everyone we disagree with.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,728,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Yes the ignorant fools did not, but why should we have to suffer?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,528,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
And the U.S. doesn't have internal debt and currency issues? My point is countries like Japan have been able to get a large GDP without a military. Military isolationism is independent of economic isolationism.
The Japanese didn't have much of a choice in regards to a military.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,958,672 times
Quote:

Ditto!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:25 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,355,251 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.