U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:35 AM

3,345 posts, read 5,943,145 times

Advertisements

A few years ago a thought like this would never even come to mind, but with Snowden releasing all the 'atrocities' being committed by our government one can't help but to wonder how much involvement the US Gov't has in the role of Apple deciding to only make this very bare bones improvement to their next phone which is a fingerprint scanner to unlock your phone. I mean, we really can't rule anything out these days.

What do you all think? For a company as innovative as Apple one might expect them to had made just a bit more features besides a fingerprint scanner for the device the US govt loves to hack the most.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 AM

For those who want to see what I'm talking about, look at this piece of 'innovation' and allow your imagination to go free in regards to what the government might do with it.

CNET News - Apple demos Touch ID fingerprint reader for iPhone 5S - YouTube

Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 AM

15,921 posts, read 18,876,816 times
With the new iPhone do any of you believe the US Govt will force Apple to give them iPhone users fingerprints?

No...

Old 09-11-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
With the new iPhone do any of you believe the US Govt will force Apple to give them iPhone users fingerprints?

No...
Explain why you don't believe it or better yet why its not possible?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

No...
Awesome answer.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,621,269 times
I'm pretty sure the NSA wouldn't read the OP's conversations just to avoid the run on sentences. BMORE, did you bother looking up the tech communities assessment of the fingerprint scanner? What's that? No? Start there.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
I'm pretty sure the NSA wouldn't read the OP's conversations just to avoid the run on sentences. BMORE, did you bother looking up the tech communities assessment of the fingerprint scanner? What's that? No? Start there.
Thank you for the compliment, I'm thrilled that you're suggesting that I've found a way for the NSA to avoid reading my conversations! You're absolutely correct in regards to not having read professional/tech assessments on this particular issue but nonetheless that's why I ask the question here, I'm pretty sure that's obvious though, right friend? Honestly, I could care less about what the tech community is saying about the technology but instead what are the limitations on the technology when involving the government.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezkiln View Post
What exactly do you think the government's gonna do with your fingerprints? They already have mine and so far I haven't suffered any because of it. They also have my social, should I be worried about that?
Why do they need to know so much? Why do they have to know every detail possible about everyone?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,449,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Why do they need to know so much? Why do they have to know every detail possible about everyone?
Well, they don't "know every possible detail about everyone", so it's irrelevant.

If the NSA wanted your fingerprints, DNA, and the like, they'd already have it. The truth is, they don't care about that sort of thing unless you're working for them, or under investigation. And if you're actually in the NSA's eye, then you're messing up hard.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Well, they don't "know every possible detail about everyone", so it's irrelevant.

If the NSA wanted your fingerprints, DNA, and the like, they'd already have it. The truth is, they don't care about that sort of thing unless you're working for them, or under investigation. And if you're actually in the NSA's eye, then you're messing up hard.
They want to know every possible detail....that cannot be disputed, otherwise they wouldn't have these MASSIVE databases. They wouldn't be collecting phone records..going 30 years back. They wouldn't have cars with hood cameras mapping out every square inch of terrain PLUS from satellite. They wouldn't put tracking devices in medical implants. They wouldn't have ALL web traffic SPLIT into a 1:1 stream that they can simply let collect in reservoirs like rainwater.

That's just for starters....

They have benign reasoning for all of the above....but here's the thing.

They aren't catching any "bad guys". They aren't "protecting" us. They are protecting them. The state. It always serves itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies