Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

I was still at home, as at the time I worked for a bank, and we had to pull 2 days of working 11AM to 7PM. I was watching my local Fox affiliate, and drinking my coffee still trying to wake up from my haze (I'm worthless in the morning without that first cup of Joe). The local station said that CNN was reporting a plane crash in NYC and that it hit the World Trade Center. Immediately I switched to CNN to watch, and saw the north tower on fire. As I'm watching and listening to the reporters I see the second plane hit! I was like WTF??? The reporters didn't even realize it, and still being in my haze (as the caffeine hadn't quite kicked in yet) I thought a small plane (as there were helicopters in the area) had gotten too close was blinded by the smoke, and therefore crashed. The thought going through my mind was that someone was being nosy, and I was cursing at them for making a bad situation worse. Then the reporters caught on, and said "another plane just hit!" Then they replayed it and I noticed that it was another jet liner. Then my thought was "WTF is going on with these pilots and in the NY airports? I mean, it's a clear day!" Between that and the caffeine kicking in it was like, "uhhhhhhhh waaiiiiiiitttt a minute... this isn't an accident!"

So, I get on my way to work which is about a half an hour commute, and reports start coming through on the radio that a plane hit the Pentagon. When I got to work, as I pulled into the parking lot and was getting out of the car I had heard that a plane crashed outside of Pittsburgh. I immediately called my wife because who knows WTH was going to happen next, and she was going into a meeting and rushed me off of the phone. Well, then all phone lines were jammed. Now, at work, nobody could focus, and our system was offline as our main headquarters was in downtown Cleveland. They had tvs in the our cafeteria and were showing the coverage. I witnessed the collapse of both towers live! We were all shocked, sad, and angry! We also heard that they forced a plane to land at Cleveland Hopkins, as it was another suspected hijacked plane. Don't know to this day if it was another plane, but thankfully the plane landed safely without incident. At noon we were told that downtown Cleveland was pretty much being evacuated, and our main office was being shut down for the day. We were told to go home. Since I knew it would be a cluster f*** trying to get out of my office with over 1,000 people leaving at once, I decided to stand in the parking lot at work and chat with a coworker while traffic had cleared out at which time we heard fighter jets in the sky, but couldn't see them. By then US airspace had been shut down, so they were the only aircraft in the sky.

When I had gotten home, I was finally able to reach my wife to let her know I was home. She apologized that she rushed me off the phone, and said she tried to call me back, but couldn't because of the phone lines being jammed. The reason for rushing me off of the phone was because she had to go into a meeting. She was also irritated that her company which was a small company wasn't shutting down due to the events taking place! I went back out to go get gas as there were rumors of gas stations jacking up their prices due to what was going on, and I wanted to make sure I got it before it went up. It was really weird not hearing any planes in the sky what so ever! We have friends in the NYC area one being a cop in the Bronx so I had called to make sure that they were OK. She had just gotten home from the late night shift, and went to bed, when her brother woke her up and said the trade center blew up! She didn't believe him at first.

That evening my wife and I watched the never ending coverage, and in fact for at least a MONTH we could not watch normal programming and were glued to CNN, FOX and MSNBC because we had to know what was going to happen next.

At the time I had season tickets to the Cleveland Browns. One Sunday in October (I believe it may have been the 7th??? not sure) I was at the Browns game and they were taking on the San Diego Chargers (the Browns won that game in the last minute and a half). At half time the announcer came over the PA and had announced that we had begun bombing Afghanistan. The whole place went crazy and erupted in cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:09 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
I was on vacation and was in Virginia thinking I was going to ride a harley around the blue ridge mountains for the rest of the week. I was in the shower and come out to see the first plane hit and as they replayed what had happened.. then as they were live watching the first tower burn the second plane hit.. I immediately knew it was terrorism.. no two planes hit the towers within minutes of each other without it being planned by evil wicked people. I was shocked. How could they do this ? Then the pentagon was hit.. I started thinking we are sitting ducks here.. all these innocent people being murdered before our eyes. The horror of it . I immediately packed up, headed for NJ. On the way to NJ every bridge and tunnel had police presence .. it was such a sad day. As I approached NJ and getting closer to my home which is 50 miles away from NYC I could see an eerie Purple smoke blowing south over the Ocean.. It was somber as I thought all the people died , burned up , it was surreal. I had family in NYC and tried to contact them but to no avail. Finally a family member from SC got through and called everyone they were ok.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
9/11/2001 was my first day of classes Freshman year of High School. The first announcement came during 2nd Period Spanish Class but I wouldn't realize the extent of the attack until my next period World History class where we watched online footage and news.

In 4th Period it was announced that we were being dismissed early from school. I got home and watched the news alone until some of my family got home from work and school. I remember being confused and trying to understand who would do such a thing. I remember North Korea popping into my head for whatever reason.

We went to a service at our Church that night and prayed for my brother who was interning at one of the smaller buildings at The World Trade Center. He was fine but I know he has seen some things. I remember how grateful my parents were for all of our relatives calling from Ireland and England to check on us (and they didn't even know my brother was working at the WTC.)

We were off from school the next day.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
working in mid-town Manhattan

Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 AM

608 posts, read 482,212 times
At home. I was up early for some reason...

Old 02-06-2014, 10:04 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
I was in my office working on an important company project.

I was nowhere near NYC on the day the towers came down.

I did not personally know any of the hijackers.

I had nothing to do with it.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I was at work. The boss called us all into his office, where he had the television on. The second tower hadn't been hit yet. I began to cry when we saw the second plane hit. And then the news stories of the other hijacked planes began to come out, I don't think I ever stopped crying that day. And every time I turned on the news for several days afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies