Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 AM

120 posts, read 193,817 times

Advertisements

I'm going to puke if I hear someone say that again. The "U.S." doesn't have moral obligations because the U.S. isn't a person. Look, if you feel some moral obligation to intervene in Syria, you can take up arms and travel over there yourself. Take care.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
I'm going to puke if I hear someone say that again. The "U.S." doesn't have moral obligations because the U.S. isn't a person. Look, if you feel some moral obligation to intervene in Syria, you can take up arms and travel over there yourself. Take care.

The only obligation that the US has is to it's own citizens, to take care of it's own issues, in it's own damn country!

Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM

120 posts, read 193,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The only obligation that the US has is to it's own citizens, to take care of it's own issues, in it's own damn country!
Damn right!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Damn right!

Now riddle me this??? How come, the majority of Americans oppose further action in Syria, and are getting to the point of opposing meddling in the affairs of others, yet our politicians aren't listening! To me that speaks volumes that our politicians from the 2 main parties don't give a flying f*** about their constituents! Wouldn't it be all the more reason to vote 3rd party, write other candidates names in (if need be) and send a message once and for all to these money grubbers, that they represent ALL Americans, and that they work for ALL of us, and not just a few special interests???!!!!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
If it's our moral obligation, why didn't we do something before the first 100,000+ Syrians were murdered? After all, murder is murder no matter what the murder weapon happens to be... is it not?

Oh yea, now I remember... we're being jerked around again. It's this tactic:

George: Saddam Hussein Has Weapons of Mass Destruction - YouTube

... all over again, only this time they had to work a bit harder and make sure there were dozens of youtube videos of dead Syrian kids to create the horror and "fear factor" necessary before rolling out the war wagon.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Only this time, the WMD aren't made-up.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
I'm going to puke if I hear someone say that again. The "U.S." doesn't have moral obligations because the U.S. isn't a person.
What a bizarre thing to say.

If this is the position you take, then a logical corollary is that nations do not have a moral obligation to avoid doing evil things, like engaging in genocide or slavery. Regardless of the merits of any particular action regarding Syria, I am not prepared to endorse the view that nations do not have moral obligations, or that they are somehow exempt from moral judgments.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Only this time, the WMD aren't made-up.
They weren't made up before. You think they just created this stuff?

And technically - most countries have WMDs, chemical and otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Now riddle me this??? How come, the majority of Americans oppose further action in Syria, and are getting to the point of opposing meddling in the affairs of others, yet our politicians aren't listening! To me that speaks volumes that our politicians from the 2 main parties don't give a flying f*** about their constituents! Wouldn't it be all the more reason to vote 3rd party, write other candidates names in (if need be) and send a message once and for all to these money grubbers, that they represent ALL Americans, and that they work for ALL of us, and not just a few special interests???!!!!
Don't disagree. I think people who are third party should remain out of elections UNTIL they gain a trusted following were they could come in and make and immediate impact.

Getting less than 5% of votes on a largely consistent basis is not doing them any good.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:18 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They weren't made up before. You think they just created this stuff?

And technically - most countries have WMDs, chemical and otherwise.
They were made up, dude. It's been in a few newspapers. It happened a while ago. Repeating George Bush's lie doesn't make it truth.

Quote:
If this is the position you take, then a logical corollary is that nations do not have a moral obligation to avoid doing evil things, like engaging in genocide or slavery. Regardless of the merits of any particular action regarding Syria, I am not prepared to endorse the view that nations do not have moral obligations, or that they are somehow exempt from moral judgments.
He knows damn well we have a moral obligation to intervene in some way. The difference is that Obama is president now. An overwhelming majority of Republicans back in 2005 thought we need to spread democracy in the middle east. Now it's fewer than 20%. I wonder why they had a change of heart.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
QFT! With our current economic crisis the very last thing we can be doing is going over to rescue people that don't even like us. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies