Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
This is a rant.

Let me get this straight...huge corporations, largely by owned by the White man, are about to take a market that has been largely controlled by Mexican and Black men?

i don't think the cannabis market is controlled by black and mexican men.

for instance, some of the biggest cannabis-growing areas in the united states are in heavily-white areas of Kentucky and West Virginia and sold in white, suburban markets.

drugs that don't grow in the united states, like coca and its derivatives, are far more likely to be distributed via black and mexican gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 02:44 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
There is no source given for the claim made in the original post, so I don't think there is any particular reason to believe it.

On the other hand, I invite you to examine the behavior of Anheuser-Busch, Phillip Morris, R.J. Reynolds, P. Lorillard, et al. As scummy as they all are, we never hear about them carrying out drive-by shootings or gun battles in the streets over beer or tobacco territories. If the sales of what are now illegal drugs become normalized by the standards of American capitalism that will be a good thing.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
This is how it should be going anyway. Legalize it, and tax the hell out of it, just like cigarettes.
It's funny how something suddenly becomes a great thing if there's to be tax levied against it.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Lol^

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 PM

I wonder what the Marlboro man would do.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I wonder what the Marlboro man would do.

The new Marlboro man, coming to a town near you:

Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

for instance, some of the biggest cannabis-growing areas in the united states are in heavily-white areas of Kentucky and West Virginia and sold in white, suburban markets.

Quote:
drugs that don't grow in the united states, like coca and its
derivatives, are far more likely to be distributed via black and mexican
gangs.
I suppose they could be grown in the more tropical areas of the U.S.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
The new Marlboro man, coming to a town near you:
hahaha!

NOOOO, what happened with that hot guy we all know as the Marlboro man

Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
This is a rant.

Let me get this straight...huge corporations, largely by owned by the White man, are about to take a market that has been largely controlled by Mexican and Black men? No big deal to me, really, except for one fact: despite having suffered more because of marijuana possession/processing, in that Black men are more likely to go to jail because of it, and receive harsher sentences, the White man swoops in and saves the day. How is that fair? We risked our freedom to supply and now the market is being taken from us because it's magically ok?

Never mind the fact that thousands? of Black men are now in jail for something that is now legal. Does the law work retroactively? Will it?

They need to release those men or there will be hell to pay. They gave thier lives for it, their freedom. It won't come without a fight. That is, it won't likely come.

Regulated the market? This marijuana business is now totally uncontrolled.
Largely controlled by Mexican and Black men and We risked our freedom to supply and now the market is being taken from us because it's magically ok

LMAO What a joke of a post

Easy answer. Because favoring one race over another in the free market is racist and isn't the free market. The free market doesn't belong to any particular race.

Quote:
It's why I voted against it in the first place. People don't think of unintended consequences. The feds need to step in and kill the Initiative...because now people will have been slighted, enough that it is a problem for all concerned.
The unintended consequences of voting against it is the fact that minorities will continue to be unfairly targeted. Your solution is to keep throwing them in jail because...? um......why again?

Oh I know its bad to slight them, it's okay to throw them in jail.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
OP, I think you are twisting this whole issue into a place where it doesn't need to go and you are relegating black and Hispanic men, in general as being drug sellers and criminals so are furthering the stereotype of the black criminal mind. Sigh...

Black people do not "control" the drug market. And if anything, this sort of legislation can help young black people to be more entrepreneur focused and seek to distribute drugs legally. Regardless of what you think, black people can be legal business men/women because of this. They can set up smoke shops in their neighborhoods and spur economic growth, as can Hispanics now in the states that passed this legislation.

Quit looking at things from a "woe is me cause I'm black and whitey is stealing (even criminality) from me."

I will state I do agree with you on sentencing discrepancies for black/Hispanic offenders in our criminal justice system. From my understanding though, some of those minimum sentence statutes have already been repealed. One of my dad's friends who got 25 to life back in the early 90s for selling a large amount of drugs was released a few years ago because of that. There is also some movement by the Obama administration to make further changes to our criminal justice system in regards to non-violent drug offenders especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomForMorsi View Post
So, the White man only stole the Mexicans and Blacks jobs? White people don't sell puff? Asians don't? Don't turn this anti-marijuana thing into a race thing. You'll just end up looking silly.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You people never miss an opportunity to blame the white man for keeping you down do you? .....:roll eyes:

This is hilarious
It is hilarious but don't put all black people in your "you people" thoughts. I actually spoke about what I mentioned to my husband above in regards to seeing how one obtains a growers permit and speaking with his relatives in CO to see about opening up smoke shops there. A lot of black people see opportunity in the legalization of marijuana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

drugs that don't grow in the united states, like coca and its derivatives, are far more likely to be distributed via black and mexican gangs.
This is true as well. Those that don't grow here are brought in by whites or foreign Latinos then distributed via blacks and latinos to mostly a white customer base. At the top, the market is not controlled by blacks and Hispanics in the united states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies