Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,424,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Doesn't matter what century it is. It the COTUS!!

The 2nd Amendment protects every other now, doesn't it.
Can you give me any examples where it has?

Old 09-14-2013, 12:54 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,428,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The people of Egypt, Syria, Libya among other nations have risen up in arms against their tyrannical governments.

We have supplied the "rebels" with weapons that help them fight their government forces.

Gun grabbers have no concept of this.

"It can't happen here", right?
No it won't. Our nation values its freedom enough that any group of people composing our government, be them even a bunch of incompetent fools, is highly unlikely to be against the freedoms we hold most dear.

As much as you've convinced yourself that you live in a fascist police state, you still apparently have the freedom to complain and have no reservations about using it.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:56 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,671,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
What does race have to don this this and don't you also have an issue with slavery?
Your so busy thinking racism instead of thinking it through. HINT! they were not able to fight back, no arms. duh!

Yea, keeping supporting "politicians" that want tyranny.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,680,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The constitution equally does not say that anyone can own a car, or a home, or speak freely, or own a gun.
All of which government can therefore establish laws allowing or prohibiting, where it is so empowered, as in the case of the Second Amendment placing the owning of arms in the context of a well-regulated militia.

Quote:
The constitution specifically restrains the government from enacting laws to prevent the people from doing these things (either enumerated as in speech and gun ownership, or unenumerated as in owning a car or home).
No it doesn't. The right to bear arms is explicitly expressed in the context of a well-regulated militia, not an unorganized militia.

Quote:
I am not bound by the US Constitution
But you are bound by US and state laws.

Quote:
I can establish a militia, there is no restriction within the constitution that prevents me doing this.
But there can be laws that do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I don't have to ask the government for permission to do something.
Except of there are laws that say you do, laws that are, despite your claims to the contrary, constitutional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
In a truly free country (which we were not that long ago)
No we weren't. If anything, we were less free a hundred and fifty years ago, since the freedom to do many things was much more a matter of how rich and powerful you were. Of course, reactionaries are working hard to make that be the case again.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:50 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,578,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
All of which government can therefore establish laws allowing or prohibiting, where it is so empowered, as in the case of the Second Amendment placing the owning of arms in the context of a well-regulated militia.

No it doesn't. The right to bear arms is explicitly expressed in the context of a well-regulated militia, not an unorganized militia.

Except of there are laws that say you do, laws that are, despite your claims to the These, constitutional.

No we weren't. If anything, we were less free a hundred and fifty years ago, since the freedom to do many things was much more a matter of how rich and powerful you were. Of course, reactionaries are working hard to make that be the case again.
The term "well regulated" is often taken out of its true context. It does NOT mean that the government has the right to restrict and control the militia. It means that the militia needs to be properly equipped, proficient, and ready to assemble when needed at the community level. Arms and equipment were intended to be an individual responsibility. Service in the militia was and is not obligatory. Strictly volunteer. However, if one chose or chooses to serve, they are expected to provide their own arms and gear. Thus, "shall not be infringed" comes into play. The government does not regulate the militia. The people do, and regulation does NOT imply the power of restriction of arms is granted to the government. Quite the opposite.

This is all explained, quite simply, in the Pre-amble. The militia is a provision for the common defense, and its "regulation" ,thereof, is not a power granted to the government, but a responsibility of the people and the individuals comprising it.

As applied today, with certain weapons being capable of destroying entire citys, the 2A does not cover strategic weapons. The militia was never intended to be an offensive or strategic force, to be projected overseas. It is a defensive or in cadre force, for domestic protection on a limited scale. Large scale artilley, air power, armor and such is not practical for militia. However, personal small arms up to medium bore cannon are practical, as are explosives and anti personell and equipment devices, such as the Claymore. Stuff that is practical for small unit tactics fighting geurilla style. So, a case can be made for access to such things. Small arms are unquestionable. We the People are granted the right to have them, uninfringed by government. The government has no authority over the militia, that the militia does not, expressly, grant it, upon formation.

I could go on, at considerable length, here. But I think I made my point. The 2A was deliberated at considerable length, when it was adopted, and it still stnds today. We can ill afford to grant the government any more restrictive power over it. What they have been given, already, is far to much.

Last edited by NVplumber; 09-14-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 07:41 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,680,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The term "well regulated" is often taken out of its true context.
Yes, indeed you have.

Not a big surprise that you'd choose to ignore the credulity decades of legitimate government regulation of firearms lends to perspectives you don't like, and instead insert your own personal opinion as if it were reality.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,919,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Progressive is just like Affordable, it's a word used to describe the exact opposite of a thing. The political class does this every day without conscience.

Take Prop 37 GMO labeling bill. It was fought with more than $50M poured into it by BIG AGRA and the largest food giants. The name they used to fight it: Stop the Deceptive Food Labeling Scheme <<<the polar opposite of the truth.

The reason they can get away with it; people who think they know everything and are well informed. <<<also the polar opposite of the truth.

UnAffordable Healthcare Act
Anti Gun Safety Advocates
Alliance for InJustice
American Anti Constitution Society for Reinterpreting Law and Policy
American Institute for Social InJustice

It goes on and on. Whenever a lobbying group is started you can bank on it being named the polar opposite of the intent.
That seems reasonable to me. My Wife worked in marketing and I saw she was uncomfortable with wordings at times.

Any lies for profits and gain when a product does not add up to the text is worth it for the God Almighty worthless green back toilet paper we call money. Another one looky thar'

For so long as i have been on CD no one can tell me what a buck is worth. As a well lad and under a different system, every one knew what a buck was worth.

Today so called modern people think the costs of things and services are going up. Not true, The value of a dollar is govt subsidized and the peasants are not to be TRUSTED with anything of value.

These days cars are of no value. None will be collectors. Homes are very few of any REAL value, and just the land they set on is. However there is a big scandel on the structure being worth more now than the day it was new

You can never get done paying for home either. Taxes are as certain as death.

Makes me wish sometimes i were a cat or maybe a dog.... They seem to be smarter.

Pay back for the inept left is coming. it will be here with in the next 50 years and when it happens it's really going to screw the left up for good.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Can you give me any examples where it has?
Easy....... Any other country.........

Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Except of there are laws that say you do, laws that are, despite your claims to the contrary, constitutional.

The CONS is a set of LAWs that stop the Govt from infringing on individuals.

Nothing in the cons is about groups of people. back at that time every male of sound body and mind was a part of the Militia and the law still stands on the books. That was from boys sometimes age 8 or so and up to men at any age where their body was still able.

You make it like the which came first the chicken or the egg.

I assure you the gun part came first as with out one you would have ineffective militia. The Govt was arming the Militia, and you had to buy and run your very own gin and the govt got no say in what that gun was.

Since the Militia was not military by nature the bus varied wildly in size shape and what sort of bullet it took. Back then it was typical that when you bought a gun you bought a bullet mold for that gun.

You arguments of this not being the 18th century anymore is moot. You argument about individuals not having a Right to bear Arms is just plain wrong.

The feds did away with money as legal tender a long time ago.... They broke the law that bound them to the CONS and haven't accounted yet for that act..

That alone could be reason enough for We the people to step in and take the govt back. We the people have been overly patient.

The Govt is pushing that patience now.

We the People don't care what the left says. If you make another gun law we the people will laugh at you for it and ignore you as we please.

I suggest you pack up your bags and leave the USA and never comeback. You are still Free to leave for the moment.

I wouldn't want to be you when We the people open the records to see who voted for the Democrats.

You were so hot to print the holders of gun permit holders and gun owners making it public info... We can and will do the same to the screaming left.

You have nothing..... You have 0 enforcement. Who the HELL do you think could come for the guns?

Are you still stupid enough to think a paper law trumps steel and lead? have you not yet learned Gin Free Zones are just Killing Zones, where your lefty left behind insane wackos can kill with total abandon?

Every last one of these school shooters so far has been a left behind wacko created for and by the left.

I can't wait for FEMA to round up all you screamers and put you in LABOR CAMPS.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, indeed you have.

Not a big surprise that you'd choose to ignore the credulity decades of legitimate government regulation of firearms lends to perspectives you don't like, and instead insert your own personal opinion as if it were reality.
Old MacDonald had a Moron EIEO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.