Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
We've always had this "open border", and it was a lot more "open" in the past when the worst thing facing an America tourist was having to bribe a cop. Not to derail this topic, but our southern border is several thousands of miles of either mostly a combination of desert, mountains, or coastal prairie. Not exactly an easy area to monitor and intercept illegal immigrants.

Kay bro.

Since the Civil War and shortly after, America has begun to industrialize and push it's boundaries from coast to coast. The "native American" problem would be begin wind down post Civil War as America pushed westward and begin to grow at an increasing population and increasing urbanized rate. Our army became more powerful, our country became more powerful economically, and politically. Law enforcement and social services grew pushing down crime overall until present day.

A rebellion against the local government in 1946 against local corruption, most mid to major cities (aka local governments) present day have would be an entirely different story.
I know that this is your and GunLover's discussion, but what the hell does that have to do with the right to self protection?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Maybe one reasonable liberal can explain to me -- why are liberals afraid of people's right to bear arms? Would be nice if the response isn't "for the sake of people."
Not a liberal but a pragmatic. I support laws for today's society, it's not necessarily "for the sake of the people" but adapting to modern society. Like I said I prefer a balance, I don't support the notion that more guns are a good thing.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Since the Civil War and shortly after, America has begun to industrialize and push it's boundaries from coast to coast. The "native American" problem would be begin wind down post Civil War as America pushed westward and begin to grow at an increasing population and increasing urbanized rate. Our army became more powerful, our country became more powerful economically, and politically. Law enforcement and social services grew pushing down crime overall until present day.
Can you cite the Article that says "guns are to kill Indians?"

Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I support laws for today's society
Do you know what these millions of pages of laws even say?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Not a liberal but a pragmatic. I support laws for today's society, it's not necessarily "for the sake of the people" but adapting to modern society. Like I said I prefer a balance, I don't support the notion that more guns are a good thing.
And you also do not have any facts that say one way or another. The facts are that still in todays modern society, crime is still a major issue whether you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend it is not is your choice.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Do you know what these millions of pages of laws even say?
Studies have been done, in the U.S. today it would take longer than the average lifespan of a human to read every law and statute that applies to them. And that is if they were reading every waking second.

In other words, anyone who claims to know all the laws is a liar.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I know that this is your and GunLover's discussion, but what the hell does that have to do with the right to self protection?
Illustrating how America's transformation from an agrarian, frontier society to a modern, industrialized society has produced a society of more rules. Crime has trended downward as law enforcement and legislation related to crime was increased due to urbanization.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
I said OUR government. Throwing Hitler in the mix is really reaching....
Not really. Hitler is the perfect example of how stupid people can be when they elect leaders and ignore their transgressions. People are stupid and they look for someone to lead them even if it's off a cliff. If you take away the people's right to defend themselves then they have no recourse to correct their stupid mistakes.

The U.S. is universally thought to have a three tiered system of checks and balances. Like a triangle. It's actually four tiered (and even more stable) with the fourth leg being an armed citizenry.

Anyways, that's logical considering the past. Your position is the illogical one that ignores history and human nature and it is based on feelings.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Illustrating how America's transformation from an agrarian, frontier society to a modern, industrialized society has produced a society of more rules. Crime has trended downward as law enforcement and legislation related to crime was increased due to urbanization.
That's irrelevant. Why don't you take 2 seconds to read the Second Amendment. You said you know the laws of society...

Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
And you also do not have any facts that say one way or another. The facts are that still in todays modern society, crime is still a major issue whether you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend it is not is your choice.
Indeed. Ending the War on Drugs would be a great way to reduce crime and be a positive step for our neighbors south of the border to become more stable and productive countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies