Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 AM

808 posts, read 662,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
You obviously are not able to comprehend the statement. Let me make it simple for your brain to grasp, and this is as simple as I can make it. If you don't get this then I can not help you.

The conversation you jumped in on was about how the US won two world wars. The point you tried to comment on and embarrassed yourself, was that the US is 12th in loss of life, behind Czechoslovakia which lost more people in WW2 then the US lost. The US did not "win the war" We got in late and if not for the USSR and other nations we would not have been able to win. Other nations did much more than we did. Did that get through your little pumpkin head?

repeating - what does your ramble about a country which does not exist for 20 years ( and whatever it's losses 50 years before that) have to do with American exceptionalism circa 2013 ?

now, I know it is a novel idea for you - to think - before rambling - but try once more. you have a chance.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
No, I am not.

I am just sick of obama's hypocrisy and lies. he DOES NOT consider America exceptional, just uses the word when he feels it might help him.
Actually, Obama says that about America in most of his speeches. I did think that it sounded a little manipulative when he used it the other night though. But then, I don't agree with what he wants to do in Syria so maybe I am not being impartial about it.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I wouldn't describe Putin as particularly virtuous.
Not sure how you got putin outta what I said..

Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Well that is taking it a bit far. This debate should really not be focused only on the current President.
Like I mentioned there is a much bigger picture.

The Romans believed they were exceptional as well.
I'm not pointing the finger at Obama. We've been on the slide since the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
One other thing I would mention... Putin is right in his warning that regarding ourselves as "exceptional" is dangerous. It leads to complacency and hubris, and I think that has been evident enough in our nation in many ways.

Alas for Putin's overall case, he is a ruthless autocrat who supports deceptive, ruthless regimes that massacre their own people, so his credibility on telling us to pursue peace, etc. is nil.
This. ^^^

Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 AM

808 posts, read 662,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Actually, Obama says that about America in most of his speeches. I did think that it sounded a little manipulative when he used it the other night though. But then, I don't agree with what he wants to do in Syria so maybe I am not being impartial about it.
then he must have flip-flopped again since it was not his original approach to America NOT being exceptional:

[SIZE=3] The transcript of his comment during a press conference following a NATO meeting in April 2009 records his idea of American exceptionalism:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.[/SIZE]

Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Exceptional compared to what? We have some 2000 years of recorded history to compare it too..in the grand scheme of things it's a very small sample size. In the 200,000+ years of modern human existence, we are still a blip on the radar screen...if in another 15,000 years we are still the successful power that we are then I would say we have something to brag about.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times
Quote:

repeating - what does your ramble about a country which does not exist for 20 years ( and whatever it's losses 50 years before that) have to do with American exceptionalism circa 2013 ?

now, I know it is a novel idea for you - to think - before rambling - but try once more. you have a chance.
Your lost. Back to the closet with you.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Exceptional compared to what? We have some 2000 years of recorded history to compare it too..in the grand scheme of things it's a very small sample size. In the 200,000+ years of modern human existence, we are still a blip on the radar screen...if in another 15,000 years we are still the successful power that we are then I would say we have something to brag about.
Exactly, When Julius Cesar came across a statue of Alexander the Great he cried and told is aid, that when Alexander was his age he had conquered the known world, and he had only gotten himself elected to a municipal court judge. And Alexander was Gay. Talk about gays in the military. The term greatest or most exceptional is only a relative term. Its like a real estate agent saying in an add, best views in LA, or Best Beach in the state, or best value bla bla bla. Its means nothing, its nothing but puffery.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Once more for the block heads among us, The WW2 generation is called the greatest generation. That in and of itself is another relative term that means nothing. Those in the south during the Civil war saw much worse and sacrificed more, the point is that the US did not win WW2. It did not fight in it as long and did not sacrifice as much as even the Czechs did. [a relatively small country at the time] The USSR another country that does not exist any longer lost 50 times the people we did fighting the Germans. If not for the USSR the US and Britain the rest of the allies would never have been able to win. So why is the USSR not the greatest? Because its not a thing that can be judged, Its not about winning a war, not about being free, the English are free, they do what they want when they want and work and live in a capitalist system. You have no idea what your rant about being excptional even means or how it would be judged, you say it and that makes it so. Well bob, it aint so.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I am conservative on many issues and liberal on others, but I am tired of hearing this crap. It means absolutely nothing. It means about as much as a sign that says worlds best Pizza. Its just crap and it gets repeated so much it means even less than that.
I'm just saddened that you neither know what it is, nor understand what it means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies