Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM

20,629 posts, read 19,289,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
The problem with raising taxes is that politicians are spendaholics. They cannot be trusted to be anything other than out-of-control spenders.

The reality is that, at nearly $750 billion annually, the military budget needs to be trimmed a bit. We're spending $83 million dollars AN HOUR on defense. $83 million dollars.....every hour, of every day.

But we were warned about this by a guy who certainly was not only smarter than any of our current politicians, but also was a lot closer to the situation than any of them. Dwight Eisenhower presided over 8 years of peace during his administration, all while doing his best to continually cut the Pentagon's budget. The ultimate military man, cutting the budget of the same military that he once commanded.

"The problem in defense (spending) is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

-- Dwight Eisenhower

There are certain taxes that probably could be implemented, but the reality is our military industrial complex is out of control.

50 years later, we're still ignoring Ike's warning

The national debt is not spending per se.

I hate da guberment excess spending, but the debt it necessarily directly linked to it. They could dump money in everyone's account and increase the debt without spending a thing. That would be nothing but monetary inflation which would be nothing but private credit reduction in real terms. Also important to know is Ike was president when we were on an international gold standard.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Yea....because only 47% of us pay federal tax.

Lefties always forget that there were no state income taxes, very low property taxes and much lower sales and other indirect taxes back then.

The typical recipient takes a great deal more than they give.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
According to spendaholic lefties taxes are the savior for everything.

if you crash your car you tax it, if you can't pay the house mortgage you raise taxes. If you need gas to go to work you make a carbon tax...

To them taxes are the cure all for everything wrong. And so long as they are exempt is it costs them little to nothing they are cool with it.

Like guns are a problem to them so they want to tax guns and ammo into orbit..... They don't care because they traded security for freedom long ago.

Maybe take that security and then there would be a problem. Looking like Al Qaeda just might too

9-11 pissed me off, but if Al Qaeda does it again inside the USA, i doubt it will bother me as much. These lefties asked for it begged really.

Some how i doubt Al Qaeda will come back to North Conway NH., like last time, but i suppose i could be wrong.
While this is certainly what you believe, what you believe is wrong. Let's take the meme that Democrats are "spendaholics." This is federal spending over the last 15 years:

What do we see? We see that spending rose moderately during the last years of the Clinton Admin and rose radically during the Bush Administration. Then, flattened during the Obama Administration.

So which party is the spendaholics?

With regard to taxes, Obama fought hard to raise taxes moderately on the wealthiest Americans, who have taken most of the income gains in the last few decades. Given that the middle class is struggling and the rich are see unprecedented income gains, I think there are a lot more important moral issues in the world than defending the right of the rich to keep their money.

I have response to your rant on al Qaeda.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
While this is certainly what you believe, what you believe is wrong. Let's take the meme that Democrats are "spendaholics." This is federal spending over the last 15 years:

What do we see? We see that spending rose moderately during the last years of the Clinton Admin and rose radically during the Bush Administration. Then, flattened during the Obama Administration.

So which party is the spendaholics?

With regard to taxes, Obama fought hard to raise taxes moderately on the wealthiest Americans, who have taken most of the income gains in the last few decades. Given that the middle class is struggling and the rich are see unprecedented income gains, I think there are a lot more important moral issues in the world than defending the right of the rich to keep their money.

I have NO response to your rant on al Qaeda.
Why yes it was nice of Clinton to be Impeached just after starting a war. War of the Cigar if i recall, and that 'We' TAX payers had to BUY all new keyboards in govt service because ALL the 'W' keys went missing....

yeah if you think i will 'trust' a Democrat with a 50 cent piece you are wrong.

And see the no in bold..... You DID mean to say it that way did you not?

No Credit Cindy.........

Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Why yes it was nice of Clinton to be Impeached just after starting a war. War of the Cigar if i recall, and that 'We' TAX payers had to BUY all new keyboards in govt service because ALL the 'W' keys went missing....

yeah if you think i will 'trust' a Democrat with a 50 cent piece you are wrong.

And see the no in bold..... You DID mean to say it that way did you not?

No Credit Cindy.........
Clinton's impeachment was a political witch hunt. His approval rating was 75% after the impeachment.

With the meme that the Clinton employees removed the letter "W" from keyboards, you have once again proven that you are sure about something that has no factual basis.

Quote:
the General Accounting Office, Congress’ investigative agency, “had found no damage to the offices of the White House’s East or West Wings or EOB” and that Bush’s own representatives had reported “there is no record of damage that may have been deliberately caused by the employees of the Clinton administration.”
The White House vandal scandal that wasn’t - Salon.com
I said what I meant also. I don't respond to wild rants.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:24 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,750,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Doesn't it get tiring excusing the excesses of big government?
When was I excusing Reagan tripling the national debt and Bush doubling the national debt?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,750,216 times
Quote:
Yea....because only 47% of us pay federal tax.

Lefties always forget that there were no state income taxes, very low property taxes and much lower sales and other indirect taxes back then.

The typical recipient takes a great deal more than they give.
Actually I think it is down to 43% now. Most of those who don't pay federal tax are senior citizens, and those making under $20,000.

And Mitt Romney.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:06 PM

37,068 posts, read 19,035,433 times
Quote:
If you started spending $900,000 an hour 2,000 years ago, you still wouldn't have spent $17 TRILLION.

That's $17,000,000,000,000

But we don't have a spending problem, do we?
Iraq accounted for between three and four of that, and the costs are ongoing for care for the vets.

If we taxed churches and Wall Street transactions, took the income tax back up to 92% for the wealthiest people in the country, legalized marijuana and prostitution and taxed the proceeds, and returned our military to a defense-only force (50% + reduction) as was prescribed by the Constitution, we could pay off the debt, feed the hungry, house the homeless, and educate every American child with the proceeds. if we could get rid of the gutless "representatives" we have in Washington on both sides of the aisle and outlaw lobbying, we might have a chance.

As long as we sit stupidly by and allow the status quo to continue, it will continue, and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:10 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,076,105 times
With all the grafts and all the talk we can pay the debt, why do we owe 17 trillion and it keeps going up? We are in deep debt!!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,486,042 times
30T by 2030...........heck yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.