Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And I glanced at a few of the letters, and from what they are saying, (if what they said are to be believed), he has done a lot of good in the community and volunteered. Ok, one could speculate that he volunteered to be around more children, but we dont convict based upon speculation.

Also, they arent really showing support or saying he should get away with it, despite what some posters here are trying to reflect, they simply asked for a reduced sentence which most people would ask friends of theirs receive..

How this is any different than any other conviction is a mystery to me.
Asking for a reduced sentence is a form of support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What if your kid was the victim here ?
Molesting a child over 3 years is more than a "mistake".
Throw the book at this teacher.
Clearly if it was my kid, I'd be asking for the maximum sentence, thats kinda how it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Or a belief that the maximum sentence is simply too harsh given information that they have, which we dont.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
It may also be a form of professional suicide.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Clearly if it was my kid, I'd be asking for the maximum sentence, thats kinda how it works.

Or a belief that the maximum sentence is simply too harsh given information that they have, which we dont.
IMHO even the max is not harsh enough for what an adult did to a child put into their care.
This is something parents now have to worry about.

Too many incidents are happening in schools all over the US.
It doesn't hit national news but go google and there's so many local articles.

And then there are those incidents that don't even hit the paper because the teacher "resigns".

Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 AM

400 posts, read 750,183 times
Just one teacher supporting the predator is too many but in this case, several teachers plus a board member. If I had a child in that school, I would worry that they are a group of predators. I would pull my child from the school and keep a list of all those names to be sure neither of them was ever again near my child.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
IMHO even the max is not harsh enough for what an adult did to a child put into their care.
This is something parents now have to worry about.

Too many incidents are happening in schools all over the US.
It doesn't hit national news but go google and there's so many local articles.

And then there are those incidents that don't even hit the paper because the teacher "resigns".
We spend $60 Billion a year housing criminals and have one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. Maybe something we're doing isnt really working, is it?

I think simply throwing people in jail, really isnt a solution to our problems.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
Hard to fault any parent who would be appalled that their child's teacher condones molestation, which is in effect what these teachers were doing. By labeling the long-term rape of a child as a "mistake", they are really downplaying the seriousness of a heinous crime. If they don't think child rape is bad, what else do they consider no big deal?

ETA: I'm not sure firing the teachers is necessary, though. Perhaps they could release a statement explaining why they thought molesting a child over a 3 year period should receive the "absolute minimum" sentence. As for the elected official, maybe a recall election is needed.

Last edited by AV8n; 09-13-2013 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Added comment.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
We spend $60 Billion a year housing criminals and have one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. Maybe something we're doing isnt really working, is it?

Letting them walk the streets isn't a solution either.
We've gotten too soft on crime over the years IMHO.
People are willing to take the risk these days because the punishment isn't that bad.

And we jail for trivial crimes like having pot on you.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:

Pedophiles cannot be reformed. If anyone should be in jail it should be murderers, rapists & pedophiles. Take out the drug dealers or people who have too much pot on them, according to the law, & replace them with the true criminals. Problem solved.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Letting them walk the streets isn't a solution either.
We've gotten too soft on crime over the years IMHO.
I dont think anyone called for him getting off scott free and being able to walk the street. Maybe I missed that letter of support..
Quote:
People are willing to take the risk these days because the punishment isn't that bad.
I tend to believe people take risks because they dont believe their going to get caught. Simply having harsher punishments, (which we have continued to make tougher), doesnt really change peoples attitudes or beliefs.
Quote:
And we jail for trivial crimes like having pot on you.
I dont support that either but this is a prime example. The punishment for pot is pretty harsh, but yet people take the risk, thereby disputing your argument that people commit crimes because of soft punishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies