Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The term "Working Poor" must not be used or heard in the right wing lexicon.
It is a word forbidden by their Masters, and Pawns march along like nice little sheep oblivious to the fact that they often work against their own best interests, sheep are not very brght.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It is heard, I just don't want to become the working because the democrats believe that someone else has more right to my momey than I do.

I encourage everyone to learn a skill so that they can get a better job and no longer be the working poor.
Ahhh, then we agree, we just do not agree on how they will get that skill to get that better job, or do you agree with my suggestion on training them?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Well that's what happens when you tax them to death. You got waht you voted for

Um, when people in the recipient class want to work they face steeper marginal effective tax rates than the rich. Those high rates discourage work by the rich and poor alike.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Theres something like 90 million unemployed people in the US.

Leeches serving in the military that get assistance??
Unfortunately there are far too many unemployeed these days, maybe once the Congress gets off their behind and stop playing games long enough to pass a real budget the business community will stop sitting on Billions in insetment money and real recovery can begin. But then it is our fault as voters to not Demand they get back to work or find a new job.

Do you not know many lower ranking soldiers qualify and depend on food stamps to feed their families? Really? Now you know, so when you and others think of all those people taking Your money it also includes many military people serving this Nation, oh while you are at it you can also include the elderly and children in your thoughts because they are also benefiting by Your money. True, some people abuse the system, that is always the case with prgrams such as these, kick them off and punish those that are committing criminal fraud, but keep in mind they are only a small part of who benefits from Your money. Welcome to reality.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:30 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Ahhh, then we agree, we just do not agree on how they will get that skill to get that better job, or do you agree with my suggestion on training them?
Plenty of classes are available at community colleges in the evening for those who want to further their abilities.amy different programs and certificates which would allow them to get better work. People do not take advantage of these options because they do not have the motivation to do so. Making bad decisions should have consequences, the government has taken away pretty much all the consequences.

Stupid should hurt.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:44 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Unfortunately there are far too many unemployeed these days, maybe once the Congress gets off their behind and stop playing games long enough to pass a real budget the business community will stop sitting on Billions in insetment money and real recovery can begin. But then it is our fault as voters to not Demand they get back to work or find a new job.

Do you not know many lower ranking soldiers qualify and depend on food stamps to feed their families? Really? Now you know, so when you and others think of all those people taking Your money it also includes many military people serving this Nation, oh while you are at it you can also include the elderly and children in your thoughts because they are also benefiting by Your money. True, some people abuse the system, that is always the case with prgrams such as these, kick them off and punish those that are committing criminal fraud, but keep in mind they are only a small part of who benefits from Your money. Welcome to reality.
Agreed with you first paragraph. But then it's Congress. This has to be one of the worst we've had.

Lower ranking soldiers don't earn much. And many don't take the assistance. None the less, they do work. I don't have a problem with people that work and still need assistance. I don't have a problem with people that don't work and need it. I DO have a problem with those that ride the gravy train and those that abuse the system. And it happens far more than people realize.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Plenty of classes are available at community colleges in the evening for those who want to further their abilities.amy different programs and certificates which would allow them to get better work. People do not take advantage of these options because they do not have the motivation to do so. Making bad decisions should have consequences, the government has taken away pretty much all the consequences.

Stupid should hurt.

That's fine if you've got the money.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Agreed with you first paragraph. But then it's Congress. This has to be one of the worst we've had.

Lower ranking soldiers don't earn much. And many don't take the assistance. None the less, they do work. I don't have a problem with people that work and still need assistance. I don't have a problem with people that don't work and need it. I DO have a problem with those that ride the gravy train and those that abuse the system. And it happens far more than people realize.
Hmmm, looks like we actually agree on something, refreshing change.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:29 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
The OP let them eat cake is a non intelligent idea. I don't love the idea of people who have made stupid choices getting money for that stupid choice. But we are left with a worse alternative. If you deny help to people we are going to have to expand prisons for the crime they commit to survive. Now we will pay 50 to 60 thousand a year per person to incarcerate. I think to ask for work or service for benefits is fair. But to take more from them and reduce their standard of living is something that will come back to bit you in the ass twice as hard. It may make your willie feel a tingle by saying it but its not going to fix the problem.

If you plug the toilet because of back up and a bad septic tank it will come out somewhere else. I don't think the lets give the 1 percent tax cuts like Romney will help either.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That's fine if you've got the money.
And that is what I was hinting at and some missed it. If you are poor you do not have extra money for college classes. It seems as many here agree on the need for education either cxollege or trade school it seems the difference is how we go about providing that cure to the welfare dependence. There was once a program in Germany that found very interesting but do not know if it is still around but the basic principles goes like this:
If you are working in a field that is being downsized or you lose you job the government was willing to pay for trade school training in a field that is more steady or booming. All you had to do was pass the school then work in that field for at least one year, if you didn't you had to pay for the schooling. It worked very well and many people that would have been drawing government assistance ended up starting new and productive careers. I know it will not help everyone, since everyones conditions are different, but I would venture to guess that it would get a lot of people off the assistance programs. Those that are abusing the system should be identified and removed from the programs. There are ways to rationally reform welfare and I am all for them, and I am sure there are other ideas that would also help. The thing that so many seem to forget that there are good reasons why these programs were started and the answer is not to try and punish those on them or to simply end them, the answer requires more effort and long term thinking, without people being able to even discuss the issue nothing will ever change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies