Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

I don't ever recall government being compared to a family.
And I went to school in NYC during the late 60's.
Government was taught as government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:28 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't ever recall government being compared to a family.
And I went to school in NYC during the late 60's.
Government was taught as government.
You have to think like a 1st or 2nd grader.

"Your mom and dad take care of you just like policemen take care of all of us". That's the connection, it's not blatant like some are saying (or believe).

And yeah, I know someone will chime in about there not being dads around today.

If you're a good teacher you do the same thing in the upper grades, connect historical events with today, as an example. That gives kids a hook to understand rather than trying to do so in isolation.

Or show kids how conditioned response works by having them do something with a stimulus and response rather than just talking about Pavlov.

Kids have always wanted to know how what they learn, an abstract, connects with what they do, a reality.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You have to think like a 1st or 2nd grader.

"Your mom and dad take care of you just like policemen take care of all of us". That's the connection, it's not blatant like some are saying (or believe).

And yeah, I know someone will chime in about there not being dads around today.

If you're a good teacher you do the same thing in the upper grades, connect historical events with today, as an example. That gives kids a hook to understand rather than trying to do so in isolation.

Or show kids how conditioned response works by having them do something with a stimulus and response rather than just talking about Pavlov.

Kids have always wanted to know how what they learn, an abstract, connects with what they do, a reality.
Well maybe that is how government is taught today but I was brought up when traditional education was taught.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:31 AM

808 posts, read 662,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't remember this during my indoctrination, I mean education.

U.S. School Homework Teaches Kids
That is absolutely understandable. In order to have the nation of sheeple which will entrust the power into the governments hands forever - the sheeple have to be nurtured from the very young age

The parents HAVE to counterteach at home.

It is possible

Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Well maybe that is how government is taught today but I was brought up when traditional education was taught.
Evidently not.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
It's not "Government" or "Civics" or "Problems of Democracy (what it was called when I took it)" or whatever, that's high school. It's starting to explain society to 6 and 7 year olds.

I'm high school oriented so my terminology may be off for elementary, and you and I and everyone here were taught the same things. The names for it may have changed.

I can damn near guarantee you didn't learn about the Electoral College or the Supremacy Clause in 1st or 2nd grade.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 AM

808 posts, read 662,598 times
Quote:
It's not "Government" or "Civics" or "Problems of Democracy (what it was called when I took it)" or whatever, that's high school. It's starting to explain society to 6 and 7 year olds.

I'm high school oriented so my terminology may be off for elementary, and you and I and everyone here were taught the same things. The names for it may have changed.

I can damn near guarantee you didn't learn about the Electoral College or the Supremacy Clause in 1st or 2nd grade.
neither should you been indoctrinated that "government is like family and takes care of the people".

Government is NOT like a family and It is not it's role to "take care of the people".

That is INDOCTRINATION.

Absolutely like the soviet one was "communist party is taking care of the people" - exactly at that age.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
I seem to remember this type of comparison between government and family when I was in 1st grade. That would have been 1960.

To teach small kids abstract concepts, which government is, you have to use comparisons they understand.
Sure, but the comparisons should be valid. Your relationship to government is nowhere near the same as your relationship to your family. Making such a comparison instills a level of responsibility and intimacy with government that is not proper. Government is not family. Government is an institution to administer the law. Obama is not my dad and Nancy Pelosi is not my mom.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
If public schools had any integrity, they'd be teaching (with numerous examples) how the state is a threat to their life, liberty and happiness.
Seeing as how public schools are an extension of that same criminal apparatus, its not going to ever happen.
Home school your children.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:49 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
I seem to remember this type of comparison between government and family when I was in 1st grade. That would have been 1960.

To teach small kids abstract concepts, which government is, you have to use comparisons they understand.
I doubt you're remembering accurately, but congrats anyway for thinking you remember what you were taught about government 53 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies