Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 PM

13,678 posts, read 8,950,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
No he isn't. He is only required to have health insurance.

Which I understand he does, through his wife, who works for Goldman-Sachs. I understand it is a high-end family policy that costs Goldman $40,000.00 a year. I have no idea of that is true, although I do know she is some regional manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,791,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
No he isn't. He is only required to have health insurance.
As long as whatever Ins he has meets or exceeds the ACA minimum standard, I believe you are correct.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 PM

38,983 posts, read 50,934,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I have excellent insurance through work, but it still costs me about $1300 per year out of my pocket. So I'm opting out this year and paying the penalty and will continue to do so as long as the penalty stays below a grand. Several of my co-workers in my age group are doing the same. It blows my mind why any healthy young person would not just pay the penalty.
That is just a non-starter. It doesn't make sense. Why didn't you do it last year? Or the year before? There was no penalty then. If saving money was your objective, you would not have the insurance now. Also, it is a rare quality group workplace policy that does not require that all employees sign up. There is no opt out option. That's how they manage to keep rates down - the same as the ACA does.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:28 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,863,328 times
Quote:
I have excellent insurance through work, but it still costs me about $1300 per year out of my pocket. So I'm opting out this year and paying the penalty and will continue to do so as long as the penalty stays below a grand. Several of my co-workers in my age group are doing the same. It blows my mind why any healthy young person would not just pay the penalty.
You better hope no one in your family gets really ill. Why should the rest of us have to pay for the hospital to treat you or your family, I think if you have no insurance and cannot pay you do not treated, work for You?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:29 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,873,088 times
I would never enroll in a program which is purposely exempt from the same dickholes who organized and passed the program.

If it's not good enough for them, it's not good enough for me.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM

641 posts, read 239,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am currently paying for my own Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance coverage through the NASE. The year the Affordable Healthcare Act goes into effect I will cancel my insurance and remain uninsured. If the IRS 1040 tax forms contain any information about my health insurance coverage, I will intentionally leave it blank.

Should the IRS attempt to fine me or impose any kind of penalty for not being insured, I will have standing to join the Class Action suit against the US government for violating the US Constitution which specifically prohibits a "bill of attainder."
Why would you give up your insurance. If you have it you may keep it, or you can see if there is a plan that is even more affordable, if you need that. Giving up your insurance is not required, at all. There has been an awful lot of misinformation on purpose to confuse the average American. The fear that this will actually be good is what keeps the President's haters telling us how bad it is. If it works, it looks good for our President. Unfortunately the hatred of this man clouds the mind. If you give up your insurance, then God forbid something happens to jeopardize your health, it is left for those insured to pick up your cost, or you end up in bankruptcy trying to cover these costs that were incurred to save your life. Why would this be good?
Please take the time to understand the law. Go to healthcare.gov and check out what is really being offered. If you don't like anything they offer, then stay with your current plan. For your own financial well being, don't go down the path of bankruptcy so many patients do when they are without coverage. There are very sad stories of people fighting cancer and other devastating problems and winning, only to become homeless because they were not able to afford the care given. As a nurse, I know how important it is to be well informed, by well informed people, not politicians who want to be sure their voters don't kick them out so give inaccurate info to stay in their coveted positions.

2,117 posts, read 1,873,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You better hope no one in your family gets really ill. Why should the rest of us have to pay for the hospital to treat you or your family, I think if you have no insurance and cannot pay you do not treated, work for You?
That's not a problem with Laura, it's indicative of the ****ty law.

3,009 posts, read 3,631,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If you make too much to get any help for premiums, then you make over $80k. How about backing up and getting your story straight or perhaps look into what the ACA is.

So let the government take care of me OK got it. I have read up on the ACA but OBAMA keeps adding to it. I do not recall you good if you make over 80k a year. I know if you make a certain amount of money you cant get no help.

It does not really matter if i was one bucks i still cant afford it .

I just do not need the government to take care of me and only ask for help if i really need it .

Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
That is what i would do if i had no health coverage. It only 95 buck the first year and goes up in 2014 i think.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I would never enroll in a program which is purposely exempt from the same dickholes who organized and passed the program.

If it's not good enough for them, it's not good enough for me.

tell me about it.

You got to love the we got to pass it first to know what is in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies