Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If the federal government penalizes me for not obtaining insurance, without a trial, then it is a "bill of attainder." You might want to read Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 of the US Constitution and get a clue.
"No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."
Good luck with that, enjoy your time in the Federal Prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is ridiculous. People without insurance already pay a penalty. We just don't call it that. Instead we call it a subsidy for those with employer provided health insurance.
Yet many don't seem to understand this means that right now this very second if you don't have employer provided health insurance your taxable income is higher and therefore your taxes are higher which means you or those who don't have insurance are already paying a fee.

This just makes the fee more expensive and explicit that is all. In order for what you want to be law, the government would have to eliminate the tax subsidy to all employer provided healthcare that millions upon millions of Americans receive.

Good luck with that.
My taxable income is always based upon my net profit. As a sole-proprietor I provided my own health insurance. Or rather, I did. As of midnight tonight I will no longer have medical or dental coverage.

What I want to be law should be left up to the States, not the federal government. Congress has no constitutional authority to require anyone under its jurisdiction to purchase a product/service. The Tenth Amendment allocates that power to the States and/or the people, respectively.

I would personally prefer no government intrusions in regard to my health care, but I cannot deny that the States do have the constitutional authority, where Congress clearly does not.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
If the federal government penalizes me for not obtaining insurance, without a trial, then it is a "bill of attainder." You might want to read Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 of the US Constitution and get a clue.
"No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."
Good luck with your suit.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM

641 posts, read 240,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh yea, vote as if you lady parts depend on it. My god, makes it sound like the internals will be ripped out or something. Then there was "they'll put ya'll back in chains, then there was racist, terrorist, then there was the world is coming to an end. Of course the white house is still closed. Obama doesn't think the little people are good enough to visit the WH.

My god, democrats can surely dream up drama.

"Due to staffing reductions resulting from sequestration, we regret to inform you that White House tours will be canceled effective Saturday, March 9, 2013, until further notice." (from Reuters)
This isn't what our President wants, but what has been done by the sequestration. The WH has been closed before under Pres. GWB, but I didn't hear Republican voices speak out. His decision was due to 9/11 and again, later d/t the start of the Iraq war. So it does happen, under both parties. ([url=http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/09/us-usa-fiscal-whitehousetours-idUSBRE92804U20130309)

While the WH tours were canceled, they were able to use that money to keep the slaughterhouse inspectors on the job. What would you prefer? These food sources affect every meat eating consumer. The tours will return, when the finances are stable again. However that may take a while, as Rep. keep trying to cut more and more.

I take it you are a male, or else you wouldn't refer to the vagina as "lady parts". The act of doing something medically that isn't warranted is the problem. People (and insurance companies) get upset when tests are ordered w/o cause. Your next prostate check should be w/ a probe larger than the doc's finger, if you really want to get an idea of what we go through in the GYN office.

The other things you refer to, I am unsure what you are getting at. Is the world coming to an end? If we don't take responsibility for her health, it may. Are there terrorists among us? Probably more than any suspect. Regarding chains, that came from a quote by Biden during the last presidential run. "(Romney) is going to let the big banks once again write their own rules, unchain Wall Street," Biden said at a campaign event in Danville, Virginia. "He is going to put y'all back in chains." And re' racism, it's hard not to see that as an issue. This is a legally elected President who not only won the electoral vote but even the popular vote (GW Bush did not win the popular vote). He has faced the most obstruction in the history of the White House. There are people in our nation that cannot stand the idea of taking orders from a black person. Luckily, they are not the majority. I suspect a female President will go through much of the same, if she is a Democrat.

The drama you refer to, seems to be created by the tea party faction of the Republicans. They should break off and form their own 3rd party. Even the more moderate Republicans are getting frustrated at their inability to govern. By today's standards of the tea party even Ronald Reagan wouldn't be allowed in. I do not understand why the tea party representatives even ran for office if they have no respect for it.

I would prefer if there was no drama, but that is the world we live in. I hope in time the lines of communication can open wider, and we find common ground. There is a lot of good a government can do for their people.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
My taxable income is always based upon my net profit. As a sole-proprietor I provided my own health insurance. Or rather, I did. As of midnight tonight I will no longer have medical or dental coverage.

What I want to be law should be left up to the States, not the federal government. Congress has no constitutional authority to require anyone under its jurisdiction to purchase a product/service. The Tenth Amendment allocates that power to the States and/or the people, respectively.

I would personally prefer no government intrusions in regard to my health care, but I cannot deny that the States do have the constitutional authority, where Congress clearly does not.
What state do you live in which you will no longer be able to purchase private medical insurance?

https://www.healthcare.gov/contact-us/

Old 09-30-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What state do you live in which you will no longer be able to purchase private medical insurance?

https://www.healthcare.gov/contact-us/
Who said anything about not being able to purchase medical insurance? I specifically canceled my medical and dental insurance to take effect at midnight tonight. According to the Affordable Health Care Act of 2010, I can only be penalized if I do not have medical insurance.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about not being able to purchase medical insurance? I specifically canceled my medical and dental insurance to take effect at midnight tonight. According to the Affordable Health Care Act of 2010, I can only be penalized if I do not have medical insurance.
Right. Great plan...make sense of why the GOP are running in circles.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face....

Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowborn View Post
There is a lot of good a government can do for their people.
What you fail to realize is that there is also a lot of harm a government can do to its people. What one receives without work, another must work without receiving.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM

I think all this false bravado is an act...no one is going to go without medical insurance to make a lame point.

No one is going to sue the Federal goverment on a ex post defacto USCosntition provision.

it's C_D street cred. eStanding up to Obama's law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies