Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 PM

29,487 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
When I first heard on our news that there's a mass shooting in the US roughly every two weeks, I thought they were mistaken. Maybe they meant every two months? But no, it's every two weeks. Boggles the mind, doesn't it?
Mass killings occur in USA once every two weeks
Just turn on the local news channels for Detroit or Chicago.. it does boggle the mind. There are just some many factors on the reasons why it is like this here but not your country. Mental health, Immigration, Economy, Demographics coupled with the amount of firearms legally and illegally on the street and it's not surprising. Some of the things can't even be addressed or your labled a racist or worse. The "melting pot" and it's freedoms comes with a price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We seem to have the same story over an over. Mentally ill people, getting guns, and killing lots of people.

How do we address that? We used to lock insane people up in sanitariums to keep society safe. That ended due to cost in the 80s. Maybe we should reconsider that?
One could probably argue that anyone who commits murder is mentally ill. At the end of the day, the sort of person with the ability to buy a gun is not the sort of mentally ill person that you'll have much success committing against their will (civil commitment).

That is to say, the guy at the naval yard is not the same as the homeless nutbag on the sidewalk - and of the two, the latter is the one likely to be locked up.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Facts are facts, crime as gone down, population and firearms ownership has gone up. It doesn't matter if it was 10 years ago or 30 it's still safer now than before.
I think close proximities can be blamed from some crimes, but the whole "mass" shooting thing is a totally different thing all together and I don't think close proximities have anything to do with it. It's just someone snapping, for one reason or another.

Just out of curiousity, how was the reaction by your countrymen over the recent mall shooting that happened in your country ? Pretty shocking how that could happen.
Yes, it was shocking. We have a mass shooting about once every three years or so, as opposed to once every two weeks, so when it happens, it disheartening.
You are STILL ignoring my original statement. I'm not discussing mass shootings, or crime stats from 30 years ago. The FACT is that violent crime is more likely to happen in rural areas than in big cities. You can ignore my studies all you want, but they won't go away.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
1. You must be licensed and trained as a gun owner.

2. You must see a medical doctor who clears you mentally, and if you have any history of mental illness in your background, then you can't get a gun license.

3. If you still want a gun, you must continue to see a medical doctor trained in the psychology areas until they deem you fit to own a gun.

I have 0 problem with gun registration and licenses.
Define mental illness, please. Tens of millions of people are prescribed anti-depressants, anti- anxiety and sleep meds to help them cope with life as is. They all receive a mental health diagnosis.

Most MDs are not remotely qualified to assess mental stability. A psychiatrist is an MD who specializes in mental health issues. A psychiatrist is not going to put their license and malpractice insurance at risk to perform 15 minute assessments. Psychiatrists in urban areas can and do charge $350-750 for a 45 minute hour. Most manage patient pharmacology.

In absence of a violent background, determining a person's potential for future violence, under any circumstance, is hit or miss.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
The sad part of all this is...Anti-Gun people will try and use this tragedy like they did with other incidents for there agenda. I'm waiting for the all encompassing diagnosis of "PTSD" which they tried with Major Hassan, which was B.S.
They have added "violence" to the diagnosis on P.T.S.D. on many websites which is NOT a true diagnoses of the condition if anything you shy away from violence and people but I guess you can thank criminal defense lawyer for that one.

I hate to say it but the more we seem to medicate people with these mind altering prescription drugs the more of this kind of crap we will see, we need to really start putting people away again....its sad but I think it might be a necessary evil.
Apparently the gun was just guilty by association.

Our "agenda": Stop senseless man slaughter via semi-automatic weapons that can be so easily obtained.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:10 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The 800 lb gorilla is guns and our country's obsession/fetishism with them. Stop dancing around the truth.
BINGO! There are mentally ill people throughout the world. We let them play with dangerous weapons.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Facts are facts, crime as gone down, population and firearms ownership has gone up. It doesn't matter if it was 10 years ago or 30 it's still safer now than before.
I think close proximities can be blamed from some crimes, but the whole "mass" shooting thing is a totally different thing all together and I don't think close proximities have anything to do with it. It's just someone snapping, for one reason or another.

Just out of curiousity, how was the reaction by your countrymen over the recent mall shooting that happened in your country ? Pretty shocking how that could happen.
In any case, mass shootings are defined by shooting four or more people. Using that criteria, it wasn't a mass shooting. Yes, people get shot here once in a while, but it's pretty rare.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM

29,487 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Yes, it was shocking. We have a mass shooting about once every three years or so, as opposed to once every two weeks, so when it happens, it disheartening.
You are STILL ignoring my original statement. I'm not discussing mass shootings, or crime stats from 30 years ago. The FACT is that violent crime is more likely to happen in rural areas than in big cities. You can ignore my studies all you want, but they won't go away.
I understand and I'm not ignoring it, I just choose to not believe it. I'm not one to wear a tin foil hat but I really believe politicians would love us to believe we are safer in the cities, if the truth was known they would empty out and more than one city would end up like Detroit. Budget cutbacks in police forces, and other response teams , longer response times.. no way am I buying that it's safer. I will admit I'm basing most of my bias on Detroit , due to I'm local here but the same things are happening in many other cities.

These are older statistics but they aren't that old.. I really can't see them 180 degree turn around in this short of time.

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Urban, Suburban, and Rural Victimization, 1993-98

Urban and Rural Crime

Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
This was the fifth mass shooting of this year. If you consider 3 or more victims to be a mass shooting then we average 1 every 10 days.

A Guide to Mass Shootings in America | Mother Jones

Old 09-17-2013, 01:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
They still do. In Florida, it's called the Baker act, and if you are considered mentally ill and deemed a danger to yourself or others, you get locked up in a Mental health facility for 72 hours.

Then you're either released outright, involuntarily committed to a facility, placed in involuntary outpatient treatment , or voluntary treatment.

The problem is, they give the person meds, get him at least partially lucid, then cut him loose. The patient winds up either throwing the meds away or selling them, and the cycle starts all over again. The system we have in place doesn't work, judging by the amount of tragedies like this that happen every year.
It's known by different names in different states.

It's the pause that refreshes.

People who have been charged with a crime, dependent upon the circumstance, are sometimes given a choice of prison or lock down mental health/drug rehab facility.

When there are no criminal charges, it is necessary to obtain a court order for involuntary anything. Easier said than done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies