Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
really now? there are already areas outside where on CANNOT smoke. in fact there are movements in some cities to ban smoking outdoors except in designated areas, and there are apartment buildings where you cannot smoke at all even though you are the one renting the apartment. and there are movements afoot to ban smoking in ones own home and car if there are children present. it really is getting to the point where smokers will end up having to quit smoking because it is getting more and more restrictive as to where they can legally smoke.

as to gun registration and your premise that it is not a forgone conclusion that it leads to gun bans and confiscation, remember 1930s germany? how about current day australia? britain? albania? cuba? and in fact virtually EVERY country that has gun registration, has led to gun bans and confiscation. there are exceptions, but not many.
Sure, apartment complexes are privately owned businesses, they should be allowed to make their own rules, no? If you don't like it, don't live there.

There are all sorts of laws against abusing children, laws being proposed to not force them to inhale tobacco smoke falls under that category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The State Police came to my door and asked me to surrender my drivers license.

When I asked them why, they said that it was for the safety of society and they're just trying to prevent another DUI death.

This story is an allegory showing the stupidity of the gun grabbers.

Here we're in agreement.

Most proposed and already enacted gun control measures are kind of like restricting sober folks from access to automobiles in order to "control" DUI.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I agree. And while teens still drink, they do it a lot less then when my dad was 18, and could buy beer then.

So restrictions work. Outlawing doesn't. I was simply offering a better analogy to the op, not suggesting any prohibition.

Uh, 18 year olds aren't prohibited from consuming alcohol, they are prohibited from purchasing it. Plenty of under 21 year olds drink, law or no law.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Uh, 18 year olds aren't prohibited from consuming alcohol, they are prohibited from purchasing it. Plenty of under 21 year olds drink, law or no law.
Uh, that was his point. He said "while teens still drink, they don't as often as my dad did when he was legally able to buy beer at 18" (paraphrased)

Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Esspecially since no one has knocked at the shooters neighbor's doors to confiscate their guns.

Nope, and nobody will. Thee will be no extended background checks because nothing will get past the House. But people will knee jerk all over the place, make speeches, and sooner or later Ted Nugent will say something completely ignorant.

SSDD.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:40 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I'm trying to connect automobiles and guns in this theory. I mean an automobile is a necessity of life for 99% of US citizens.

A gun is a necessity for 1% at the most.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm trying to connect automobiles and guns in this theory. I mean an automobile is a necessity of life for 99% of US citizens.

I don't know that either are a necessity, though I doubt anyone could logically argue that cars are not of higher value than guns are.

I think OP was just trying to pull out an analogy to "prove" why something that very few people would support would be a bad idea. The idea failed, but nonetheless there is still going to be probably at least 13 pages.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

What a reach. Automobiles are not a necessity of life. They are a tool and a convenience, people lived (and even thrived!) before Henry Ford brought the automobile to the common man. Firearms are also not a necessity of life, but it sure is faster at bringing home dinner than a bow and arrow.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:59 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
What a reach. Automobiles are not a necessity of life. They are a tool and a convenience, people lived (and even thrived!) before Henry Ford brought the automobile to the common man. Firearms are also not a necessity of life, but it sure is faster at bringing home dinner than a bow and arrow.
And if you're a vegetarian, what's the point of a firearm? There is none. I agree about cars as well, not a necessity. I have a car & hardly ever use it. I use my two legs or the transit system.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
I think banning analogies might be a good idea.

Too many arguments go like this: You are a doofus. Not. Are. Not. Are. Not. yada yada.

Thoughtful debate does not exist in the media nor much of anywhere else. Mostly yelling. Name calling. You know, sort of like 3d grade.

Bah!

Pass all the banning laws you want regardless of what the item is and you have only created more lawless people. I'm sure I must break several laws daily but don't know what they are until some legal type informs me. It isn't hard to do.

We all fell down the rabbit's hole and just don't seem to accept that. We are at the Mad Hatter's party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies