Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:26 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Because some of us would actually like to do something that has a chance in hell of preventing these terrible events. Not a quick 'feel good' law that will have little, if any effect. These idiots will stand around patting themselves on their own back, then have the nerve to be incensed when criminals obtain weapons illegally.

For instance, Alexis didn't have anything on his record that would have prevented him from buying a AR-15, because when he did shoot a car up in the past, he was never charged because the paperwork was 'lost' and he was never prosecuted for it.

So your precious extended background checks would be worth absolutely nothing, except some lame back patting by the anti gun group. Never have I seen a group so unfocused on real results, and so hyper focused on feel good legislation.
What's your suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 02:30 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have no problem with private companies setting their own rules, but the reason they can set their own rules like that is because the government has given them that ability by passing laws that allow such rules.

again you guys are not looking to the future, only the here and now, and you are blinded by the fact that we have the second amendment and a variety of scotus decisions that uphold the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms. however it may not always be that way in the future. all that needs to happen is a president like obama to pack scotus with a bunch of anti gun types that have their own interpretation of the second amendment, and our gun rights can be severely restricted or even taken away.

remember that eternal vigilance is the price of freedom, and we need to ALWAYS guard against those that would take away our freedoms.
Point to one single solitary right that you had that the POTUS has taken away. Really paranoid **** on these boards. The majority of the nation is for background checks and that is a fact. That is what the POTUS has pushed for.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times
Quote:
i have no problem with private companies setting their own rules, but the reason they can set their own rules like that is because the government has given them that ability by passing laws that allow such rules.
So you're fine with private companies setting their own rules, but you were complaining about those rules.
Not all apartment complexes have those rules, sadly I've lived in ones that don't. So all the government did, in your theory, is allow private business owners the freedom to make rules for their own properties.

Quote:
again you guys are not looking to the future, only the here and now, and you are blinded by the fact that we have the second amendment and a variety of scotus decisions that uphold the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms. however it may not always be that way in the future. all that needs to happen is a president like obama to pack scotus with a bunch of anti gun types that have their own interpretation of the second amendment, and our gun rights can be severely restricted or even taken away.

remember that eternal vigilance is the price of freedom, and we need to ALWAYS guard against those that would take away our freedoms.
Well we certainly don't want people to make decisions based on real life facts of things that are happening now. It makes much more sense to pretend to look into the future and what "might could happen" and then do nothing, because sure things are really really messed up now, but maybe things might get worse!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
What's your suggestion?

I like to look at the broad picture. Focusing on 'gun crime' or 'gun mass murders' only is too focused.

One hope is to stop being so worried about 'political correctness'. If a member of the Military is accusing fellow soldiers of 'war crimes' against Iraq and Muslims, perhaps we aught to have a conversation with that person, instead of ignoring it, transferring him, or pretending like he didn't say anything.

We are so afraid that we will profile someone, or offend someone, that we are paralyzed to the point of saying nothing. Then later on we find out about the warning signs, and how they were explained away, or dismissed as misunderstandings. You should read about the Boston bombers, the Fort Hood shooter, or Alexis. Many warning signs, sadly.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
What's your suggestion?
Best post I've seen in any of these gun debate threads since I started paying attention almost ONE YEAR ago after Sandy Hook.

The only SUGGESTION I've heard comes from "the left" which is stricter laws.

I've yet to hear any suggestion come from those opposed to stricter laws on how we are going to fix the fact that in the past 10 months we've seen public shooting in every place from malls to navy buildings to elementary schools.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Best post I've seen in any of these gun debate threads since I started paying attention almost ONE YEAR ago after Sandy Hook.

The only SUGGESTION I've heard comes from "the left" which is stricter laws.

I've yet to hear any suggestion come from those opposed to stricter laws on how we are going to fix the fact that in the past 10 months we've seen public shooting in every place from malls to navy buildings to elementary schools.
Do you not care about the 3 people murdered in the Boston marathon bombings, or the 250+ injuries? 14 people lost limbs, completely altering their way of life.

I know it's a silly question, but Why do anti-gun people only care about murders committed with a firearm. Murder is murder, no matter what weapon is used.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The State Police came to my door and asked me to surrender my drivers license.

When I asked them why, they said that it was for the safety of society and they're just trying to prevent another DUI death.

This story is an allegory showing the stupidity of the gun grabbers.
Terrible example. You have to take a test to get a license.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Do you not care about the 3 people murdered in the Boston marathon bombings, or the 250+ injuries? 14 people lost limbs, completely altering their way of life.

I know it's a silly question, but Why do anti-gun people only care about murders committed with a firearm. Murder is murder, no matter what weapon is used.
That is a silly question, and a silly premise.
The subject we are discussing is gun violence, and somehow drunk driving.

Let me throw out a quick blanket statement, whenever someone is murdered (short of, in most cases, self defense) I feel for the victims and their families.

And by the way, I know that labeling people is the only way some people can function, makes it a lot easier to argue when you can just lump everyone together in one category, but I am far from an "anti-gun" person. I'm not a gun owner myself, but I have several family members who are and I have no problem with them. And to be honest, not one of them has a problem with stricter gun laws being enforced.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Terrible example. You have to take a test to get a license.
In Texas, you have to pass two tests to get a CHL license.

You can own and shoot a firearm without any type of license. Just like you can purchase and drive an automobile without a license. Now if you want to drive it on public roadways, law requires a license and registration. I learned to drive a car many years before I turned 15 and obtained my learners permit.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
That is a silly question, and a silly premise.
The subject we are discussing is gun violence, and somehow drunk driving.

Let me throw out a quick blanket statement, whenever someone is murdered (short of, in most cases, self defense) I feel for the victims and their families.

And by the way, I know that labeling people is the only way some people can function, makes it a lot easier to argue when you can just lump everyone together in one category, but I am far from an "anti-gun" person. I'm not a gun owner myself, but I have several family members who are and I have no problem with them. And to be honest, not one of them has a problem with stricter gun laws being enforced.
Again, the easiest thing we can do is pass more laws. Usually the things worth doing require effort. Will passing the proposed gun laws really change anything? Dig deep, and really consider this.

I'm well aware that you don't want to focus on preventing death, only preventing gun deaths. My reality is that of the friends of mine who have been murdered, none were committed with firearms. So if guns never existed, both of my friends would still be dead. You can probably see why I'm more worried about violence in general, rather than making firearms into some kind of boogieman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies