Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The idea of a redistribution of wealth is one both parties agree upon, they just dont agree on how to obtain that goal. Republicans believe in trickle down, which by its own definition is redistribution of wealth from the wealthy to the less fortunate by way of the free market.

You are making the claim that President Obama's means of redistribution are radical and to the far left, please put that into context and tell us how ? did he propose something that has never been proposed before ? did he ask all rich people to send everyone making under 40,000 dollars a check ? Go ahead, expand on your argument rather than just posting vague statements.

Neither Democrats or President Obama have ever advocated for laws or policy that follow their ideals of what morality is, or to control people. please give an example if you think he has.

Again, you are proving my point with every post. You put nothing behind your comments to prove your point. The Presidential Primary in 2008 alone disproves your argument, President Obama was the most to the right of Anyone on that stage ( save Kucinich,Bayh and Gravel)
Kucinich was the guy that I supported during the primaries and I'm not too sure that he would have bailed out the banksters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
We need more reps like them...
If only they could exercise some backbone more often. If they had stood their ground for single-payer health care we wouldn't have to deal with the Obamacare monstrosity, nor the ludicrous Dodd-Frank "financial reform". Who knows what the end result would have been, but I'm sure that without so-called liberals compromising so much we'd be better off than we are today. Also, if more of their Democratic brethren were more liberal, Guantanamo, indefinite detention, and NSA snooping would have been abolished years ago.

Now, the Tea Party has faced tons of resistance and obstruction from the establishment GOP which still constitute the bulk of Republican congressmen, but liberals should take some lessons from the Tea Party - standing on principle and inspiring grassroots agitation obtains results. The Democrats' brand of compromise does not and has not obtained results, either for liberals or for anyone else with the exception of moderates.

As for government controlling and regulating every single aspect of your life, the claim is essentially correct. Just looking in my room right now, government regulates computers, bookshelves, wires, TVs, tables, chairs, Clorox wipes, paper, DVDs, radios, heaters, air conditioners, fans, light bulbs, ink, electricity, the structure of my house, what can be built on the spot I'm sitting in (i.e. zoning), water, refrigerators, remotes, cups, aerosol sprays, VCRs, DVD players, stuffed animals, video games, carpets, linoleum, clocks, plugs, and last but not least it regulates my body (i.e. what I can and cannot ingest). From what I see government controls almost every aspect of my life sitting in this room. As the Lonely Conservative put it:

Quote:
Our government regulates our showers. They regulate our toilets. They regulate our light bulbs. They regulate our electric and heat sources. They regulate our water. They regulate our home and self protection, and want even more regulations on that.

They regulate, in many cases, what we can and cannot put into our bodies. They regulate what our children eat in schools. They regulate what our children learn in schools. They regulate how much we earn, be it too much or too little. Through federal, state and local taxes they regulate our finances. They regulate the cost of labor while regulating the young and inexperienced out of jobs.

They regulate our health care, or lack thereof. They make life saving drugs harder to come by through regulation. They dictate what the majority must pay for to benefit a few.

What aspect of our lives are they not regulating at this point? It seems that would be a simpler question than asking how much they are regulating. I just keep waiting for the leftist anarchists to start screeching about keeping government out of their bodies. I won’t hold my breath, seeing that the leaders those same leftists have chosen are further eroding our liberties, and these morons are just fine with it.
If you preach moderation and compromise constantly and claim that's what you want, how about letting some significant aspect of our life be outside the domain of government and legislation? Or perhaps you could accept a general principle of your life on your own property being outside the domain of government. While I'm wishing, maybe all of you could convert to libertarianism , but more seriously, to moderate or to accept any of these practices would be to circumscribe government, to accept the principle that government is limited in what it may do, and that's an idea most politicians strongly resist.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
If only they could exercise some backbone more often. If they had stood their ground for single-payer health care we wouldn't have to deal with the Obamacare monstrosity, nor the ludicrous Dodd-Frank "financial reform". Who knows what the end result would have been, but I'm sure that without so-called liberals compromising so much we'd be better off than we are today. Also, if more of their Democratic brethren were more liberal, Guantanamo, indefinite detention, and NSA snooping would have been abolished years ago.

Now, the Tea Party has faced tons of resistance and obstruction from the establishment GOP which still constitute the bulk of Republican congressmen, but liberals should take some lessons from the Tea Party - standing on principle and inspiring grassroots agitation obtains results. The Democrats' brand of compromise does not and has not obtained results, either for liberals or for anyone else with the exception of moderates.

As for government controlling and regulating every single aspect of your life, the claim is essentially correct. Just looking in my room right now, government regulates computers, bookshelves, wires, TVs, tables, chairs, Clorox wipes, paper, DVDs, radios, heaters, air conditioners, fans, light bulbs, ink, electricity, the structure of my house, what can be built on the spot I'm sitting in (i.e. zoning), water, refrigerators, remotes, cups, aerosol sprays, VCRs, DVD players, stuffed animals, video games, carpets, linoleum, clocks, plugs, and last but not least it regulates my body (i.e. what I can and cannot ingest). From what I see government controls almost every aspect of my life sitting in this room. As the Lonely Conservative put it:

If you preach moderation and compromise constantly and claim that's what you want, how about letting some significant aspect of our life be outside the domain of government and legislation? Or perhaps you could accept a general principle of your life on your own property being outside the domain of government. While I'm wishing, maybe all of you could convert to libertarianism , but more seriously, to moderate or to accept any of these practices would be to circumscribe government, to accept the principle that government is limited in what it may do, and that's an idea most politicians strongly resist.
I really do not get your point where I bolded. You make the choice to purchase what you purchase via the so called free market. I have always ingested what I want to ingest, why haven't you? I appreciate the infrasrucure that government put in place because to tell you the truth, I could not have afforded to send a communication satellite into space or build the Brooklyn Bridge. Too bad the right wing is allowing our infrastructure to crumble though.

It was grassroot efforts that helped block the appointment of Summers and with the help of Warren and Sanders, two reps that did their mojo with their smarts, patriotism and the will of the people in mind.

Organized Opposition To Larry Summers Forms
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3829833.html

Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
NOPE, he was TOLD to withdraw his name.......the greedmonsters were afraid that he was going to start tapering back on the funny-money.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
My problem with Summers is he was a complete sell out to the big banks. Not only did he support the disasterous repeal of Glass-Steagall but he was the big person pushing for it from day one after corrupt banking lobbyists gave him his marching orders. He is unfit to hold any office with authority.

Sadly, the Obama administration has been packed with these sorts of people, appointees picked by lobbyists to be their lap dogs, and there is hardly a real liberal among them.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The idea of a redistribution of wealth is one both parties agree upon, they just dont agree on how to obtain that goal. Republicans believe in trickle down, which by its own definition is redistribution of wealth from the wealthy to the less fortunate by way of the free market.
That's just utter nonsense.

Quote:
You are making the claim that President Obama's means of redistribution are radical and to the far left, please put that into context and tell us how ? did he propose something that has never been proposed before ? did he ask all rich people to send everyone making under 40,000 dollars a check ? Go ahead, expand on your argument rather than just posting vague statements.
I'm not making the claim, Obama has stated this clearly, many times.

Here's one instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMJS4CP3OC0

Quote:
Neither Democrats or President Obama have ever advocated for laws or policy that follow their ideals of what morality is, or to control people. please give an example if you think he has.
Wow. I guess discussion with you is nearly impossible. Everything a liberal or leftist does is about enforcing morality on others.

Quote:
Again, you are proving my point with every post. You put nothing behind your comments to prove your point. The Presidential Primary in 2008 alone disproves your argument, President Obama was the most to the right of Anyone on that stage ( save Kucinich,Bayh and Gravel)
Look, just posting this stuff proves only that you choose dishonesty, rather than fact.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I really do not get your point where I bolded. You make the choice to purchase what you purchase via the so called free market.
Wow. You surrender almost everything in your life to government, yet, you think you don't.

It is almost like you're brainwashed into a coma.

There is no "free market" whatsoever. Government tells me I can b uy milk from my neighbor. But only if he complies with FEDERAL regulations, including pasturizing the milk... I can buy a car, but ONLY outfitted and equipped with the devices and controls the government mandates or allows. It MUST have traction control and stability control, it MUST have seat belts and air bags and even devices that read the tire pressure while driving. I don't have any choice, it makes those choices for me.

My house can't just be built. I must surrender nearly every decision about that house and every thing inside, from the materials it is built from, to the appliances in it, those decisions are all controlled and extremely limited by government. It MUST include many things and it CANNOT include many things.

Obamacare says I MUST buy insurance that includes paying birth control. Even though my wife had a hysterectomy at a very young age - almost 15 years ago. That it MUST include an array of services pre-paid that I do not need or choose not to use. Why must that decision be made for me?

I cannot work for someone for the terms that person and I choose... government decides what MOST of the terms will be for me, allowing me minimal choice on my own.

Everything you buy has had choices made for you, everything you do and buy and sell are all extremely limited by choices the government has taken from you.

And yet, here you are, completely unaware of how utterly your life is controlled by government.

Why on EARTH would anyone think you have any valid perspective on anything? Your eyes are shut tight, your mind closed, and your thinking narrow.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
My problem with Summers is he was a complete sell out to the big banks. Not only did he support the disasterous repeal of Glass-Steagall but he was the big person pushing for it from day one after corrupt banking lobbyists gave him his marching orders. He is unfit to hold any office with authority.

Sadly, the Obama administration has been packed with these sorts of people, appointees picked by lobbyists to be their lap dogs, and there is hardly a real liberal among them.
And he will continue down the same path and his only consideration is will the next FR chairman keep QE alive because it is his and wall streets life line. Has anyone noticed that anyone that is critical of QE is not in the running? I stand behind my prdiction of Yellen that will keep QE alive and make history as the first woman heading up the FR.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Wow. You surrender almost everything in your life to government, yet, you think you don't.

It is almost like you're brainwashed into a coma.

There is no "free market" whatsoever. Government tells me I can b uy milk from my neighbor. But only if he complies with FEDERAL regulations, including pasturizing the milk... I can buy a car, but ONLY outfitted and equipped with the devices and controls the government mandates or allows. It MUST have traction control and stability control, it MUST have seat belts and air bags and even devices that read the tire pressure while driving. I don't have any choice, it makes those choices for me.

My house can't just be built. I must surrender nearly every decision about that house and every thing inside, from the materials it is built from, to the appliances in it, those decisions are all controlled and extremely limited by government. It MUST include many things and it CANNOT include many things.

Obamacare says I MUST buy insurance that includes paying birth control. Even though my wife had a hysterectomy at a very young age - almost 15 years ago. That it MUST include an array of services pre-paid that I do not need or choose not to use. Why must that decision be made for me?

I cannot work for someone for the terms that person and I choose... government decides what MOST of the terms will be for me, allowing me minimal choice on my own.

Everything you buy has had choices made for you, everything you do and buy and sell are all extremely limited by choices the government has taken from you.

And yet, here you are, completely unaware of how utterly your life is controlled by government.

Why on EARTH would anyone think you have any valid perspective on anything? Your eyes are shut tight, your mind closed, and your thinking narrow.
I get where you are coming from. You are one of the chosen that undergoes epiphanies and have the answer to the meaning of life. You are more than a bit self-deluded, not to mention self-righteous. You know zero about who I am, what I trust, believe or understand. You have no idea how I make my living or how I live, but you pass judgement. Who are you to comment on anyone else's awareness, be it self or otherwise?

That being said, I accept that we live in a society and very often there are choices made that we do not agree with and it is up to the individual to be proactive..or not...but not to be a cry baby about it....IMO. There are thngs that my taxes pay for that I am more than glad to pay for and there are some that I don't, but if I was vehemently adamant about how poor me is being manipulated and controlled by the big bad government, I suppose I'd live off the grid. To spend my life nitpicking every aspect of life (carpet?) and bemoan the government's interference in it, imagined or otherwise, would be a complete waste of my energy that is much better spent on things that are most important to me. I do not have kids, but I do not mind my tax dollars going towards education because I have the sense to support and advocate things that are good for society as a whole.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
From what I recall Summers dropped out. don't blame him and I am sure many well qualified people decide not to got trhu smear campaigns so popular now. I think if they really has liberals started then we would have heard more smear by now not just a simple letter to their president by some congressman. You know kind of like those nuts with painted red hands waving them when Kerry was speaking. But it was quite the site seeing Kerry being protested by liberals with his history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies