Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I have no illusions of major genetic improvement in the human species happening anytime soon.
Homo sapiens have been around about 200,000 years but we still share 95% of our DNA with other primates who regularly throw fecal matter at each other. I don't see it happening EVER.

Quote:
But that is not necessary to get us where I want to go. Education and the undoing of the long history of toxic cultural influences will do the trick. Well educated human beings are already capable of civilized behavior toward one another, so it really just boils down to stepping up our game in the educational effort.
I'm extremely civilized towards everyone to a point. On rare occasions, people don't understand civility or the incident will happen and there is no chance for me to show how nice I am. You will say that this chance is rare. How rare? FBI — CIUS Home The average American has a 1 in 250 chance of being robbed, assaulted, raped, or murdered each year. Am I average? Probably. But I also live next to a city that is one of the most violent in the nation. Bad guys don't just stay in their neighborhoods. Once they have picked their own clean of money and items, they migrate.

Quote:
The idea that mass distribution of guns in America can and will keep tyrannical government encroachment at bay is utterly ridiculous. Anyone about 35 or older has seen for themselves that theory go down the toilet.
I'm a little older than that and I fully believe it. As I've stated, it's like the cold war with Russia. Neither side wants to make the first move and the threat of retaliation keeps both sides in check.

You have also stated that the military would squash a rebellion. Do you really think we will organize and and fight nose to nose like we did with the British during the Revolutionary War? It will be a guerrilla type war that is long and ugly.

Quote:
All our guns are doing - and all they will continue to do - is kill one another by the thousands per year....until we say enough.
My guns haven't killed anyone and I hope they never do.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
I chuckle every time I hear a gun nut say that their gun zealotry is "protecting their freedom" when, in fact, it is doing exactly the opposite. For there is no more effective way to insure a growing police state than a no-compromise pro-gun stance. And it is happening as we speak. They think they are gliding down the highway when, in fact, they are slip-sliding away. Regrettably, so are we all.

This latest in the long chain of tragedies will once again crank security concerns up another notch, resulting in more suspicion, more checkpoints, more searches, more impediment to people being left alone to go about their business free of harassment and challenge.

Everyone can see where this is going....that is, everyone not blinded by the religion of their gun-centric upbringing. Gun nuts are gradually frittering away all other freedoms in trade for one. And anyone willing to trade freedom for guns deserves neither.
So, what are your plans oh wise one, for getting guns out of the criminals hands, before law abiding gun owners feel safe enough to give up their guns?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Gun control doesn't mean preventing law-abiding citizens from owning guns. It means making sure that people who shouldn't own guns --- those who are violent --- from owning them.
How do you do this, with laws?

How well are our drug laws working? Have we successful kept criminals from obtaining meth, heroine or cocaine?

Only law abiding citizens obey the laws.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:24 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
You have also stated that the military would squash a rebellion.
There isn't going to be an armed tyrannical seizing of power or an armed rebellion in America.

The "progressive" fringe left is doing just fine and has made great progress in turning one reality after another on its head with barely a whimper of resistance throughout this once great country. They will march on until the concept of marriage is fully meaningless, automobiles are as scarce as in "The Last Chase", and everyone is herded into the high-density utopia of "New Urbanism" after serving their prison sentences for having a lawn. They will have complete tyrannical control of the social agenda for the country and they're damn close to it today. They have marched steadily forward for 25 years unimpeded - no rebellion, no shots fired on either side - barely a loud voice raised.

This is 2013, not 1861. Guns are irrelevant and serve no purpose but to tie us to the barbarism from which we originated so long ago. They are going away....it is just a matter of time. There is no place for them in a civilized future and I, for one, will not accept that we cannot put our centuries spent as savages behind us.

On a side but related note, those who called me a liberal will read my second paragraph and be introduced to a whole new dimension of thinking that I hope will give a moment of pause. Being conservative need not mean being pro-gun.
Quote:
My guns haven't killed anyone and I hope they never do.
I think most of us share that hope

Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
A gun nut that thinks they have the right to attack the United States shouldn't be allowed to own any weapons at all. You should be sitting in prison along with the other terrorists that have called for violent attacks against our country. You may view yourself as some kind of patriot but as far as I am concerned you are a scumbag no different than the countless numbers of foreigners that would like to kill Americans.

Do you honestly think that you have the right to just unilaterally declare someone to be a tyrant and kill them?
Like President Obama wants to? That person is a terrorist, kill him.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:38 PM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times
It's a very nice concept and one I think everyone wants - but your Utopia is far, far away. Unless scientists come up with a drug to neutralize human's agression - making everyone a virtual Stepford wife - you will never see a world without war, crime, hatred ect..

The war in the Middle East has gone on for hundreds of years - it's had different names but it's still the same war. Hatred, jealousy and murder have existed since Cain and Abel. We are more apt to have another civil revolution than become a Utopian society.

My family will keep their guns should the situation arise - and until then they'll enjoy target shooting.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Please explain how a democratically elected government=tyranny.

Being on the losing side of an election does not give you the right to overthrow the government and start killing people. Anyone that thinks that way is insane and insane people shouldn't be allowed to own guns.
You just described mob rule whereby 51 percent of the people get to order around the other 49 percent.
We are a republic with rights.

The Oath of Allegiance

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It's a very nice concept and one I think everyone wants - but your Utopia is far, far away. Unless scientists come up with a drug to neutralize human's agression - making everyone a virtual Stepford wife - you will never see a world without war, crime, hatred ect..

The war in the Middle East has gone on for hundreds of years - it's had different names but it's still the same war. Hatred, jealousy and murder have existed since Cain and Abel. We are more apt to have another civil revolution than become a Utopian society.

My family will keep their guns should the situation arise - and until then they'll enjoy target shooting.
Many others in your neighborhood and others throughout the country are saying the same thing. And somewhere, in one of them - or two - or three - or four - there lives an undiagnosed killer with access to guns.

Your stance insures that they will be an ongoing deadly threat to your family, as Adam Lanza was....but nobody knew it. And the last thing that Nancy Lanza ever would imagine is that her own guns would be the tools that would take her life.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Do you think that you have the right to take up arms against the US government? It is a really simple question.
Quote:
A gun nut that thinks they have the right to attack the United States shouldn't be allowed to own any weapons at all.
Did you notice how sco changed the subject, and even shifted his own question?

"Attacking the United States" is defined in the Constitution, correctly, as Treason. One might do it by bringing a hostile army into Florida, or Minnesota, or California, killing and capturing the citizens, destroying buildings and property etc.

But no 2nd amendment supporter has suggested doing that. The only one who has suggested such an act, is sco.

But his earlier question was about people taking up arms against the U.S. government, which is a completely different thing, and not mentioned at all in the Constitution. It is mentioned, though, in the Declaration of Independence (the first law ever passed in the United States, still as binding today as it was in 1776). And the DOI, though written and passed by many of the same people who wrote and passed the Constitution, expresses a very different view about attacking the U.S. government. It says that when government shows a pattern of regularly abusing and destroying people's rights in a way that leads toward tyranny, "it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security".

Sco is apparently hoping you won't notice the difference, and will confuse one with the other. This thread is supposedly about "myopia". Sco is praying for it - myopia is the only way he can put his doubletalk over on people.

But in fact, attacking the United States, and attacking an abusive United States government, are two very different things. According to U.S. law, the former is "treason", but the latter is the people's "right", and even their "duty".

Taking up arms against an abusive and tyrannical government, is the duty of every citizen. It says so clearly and straightforwardly in the law... and it has been the law from the minute this country was founded.

Be careful when listening to liberals. They will twist and manipulate the language, hoping to fool you into thinking they said one thing when they actually said something else, and divert your arguments by other such disingenuous means.

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 09-19-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 AM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Many others in your neighborhood and others throughout the country are saying the same thing. And somewhere, in one of them - or two - or three - or four - there lives an undiagnosed killer with access to guns.

Your stance insures that they will be an ongoing deadly threat to your family, as Adam Lanza was....but nobody knew it. And the last thing that Nancy Lanza ever would imagine is that her own guns would be the tools that would take her life.
Sorry but an undiagnosed killer will find any means necessary to accomplish his task. If he's intent on killing he'll find a way to do it whether he uses a bomb, axe, butcher knife, plastic bag to suffocate - the fact a gun is not available will not stop his desire to kill.

Right now the only threat to my family are people like you, who if and when a need arises will be clambering over each other trying to find safety behind someone with a gun. If push comes to shove and chaos erupts - you and everyone like you will be grabbing for whatever you can use to protect you and yours - if you're that naive to think you won't you'll be dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies