Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times

Advertisements

How about we ask the feds to reveal their "earnings"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This would be political information. CEOs that pay their workers better wages relative to CEO salaries would be seen as more responsible actors. Douchebags who race toward the bottom, fleecing their workers to line their own pockets will be seen to be greedy bastards, as they should be. Such information might well be important to some consumers. Most will go to Wal-Mart, but plenty of others will respond to such information. As they should. Companies that don't give a damn about their workers are not really a net asset for society, IMO. Those that do, should be recognized. The current system give d-bags a free pass.
Nothing will change. It's been pointed out once again that it is the FED action that is directly providing the money for many of these corporations to be swimming in money. Has it caused those who complain and complain about the wage gap growing to start demanding for this to stop?

Give me a salary of $15 million a year and you can put it on the front page of the NYTimes. We do that for ball players. Does it change anything?

Stop the source.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Forcing rates higher hurts those seeking to buy homes as it drives there monthly payments up. This slows home sales, which lows construction-- a major economic force. It also drives business borrowing costs up, slowing purchasing of plant and equipment. All together, it can push the economy back into recession and is a bad idea.
A normal market driven market works itself out. As I noted when I bought my first house in 1985 the rates were 9.9. People were still buying houses.

There is also absolutely no reason everything must rise at some set figure every year either. It's been noted that in some markets the prices of houses is soaring again. There is no reason this must happen. If rates are 6% and houses sell for 2% more than last year as opposed to 15% at 3% there is nothing wrong with that.

I will note that you still didn't answer my questions.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's so simplistic and doesn't account for forces that artificially depress wages. There is also no standard for what one's labor is worth. Your idea is merely a race o the bottom.
Artificially low rates depress the income of millions. You seem to have no problem here.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times
There are already many European companies that have capped executive pay, many US companies already disclose executive compensation but changing it in a rigged system is another story.

The culture of rewarding executives for failure is gradually changing as some of the huge pension funds have taken action at stockholder meetings, but still a long way to go.

Quote:
The European Union recently finished draft rules that will largely cap bankers'
bonuses at the level of their base salary. Swiss voters recently directed their
government to write a bill that gives shareholders a binding say on executive
pay. German politicians are looking to follow in Switzerland's footsteps with
similar legislation.

Deutsche Bank Caps Executive Pay - WSJ.com

Old 09-19-2013, 05:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm sorry but 1 person spending their money is not equivalent to 10,000 people spending their money

How many times a day does that person eat? How many hammers does he buy? How many cars? How much gas can he use?

If your gonna act like your Einstein at least know what your talking about.
I have yet to hear of a billionaire, not have hundreds of thousands of employees. Maybe you can point one out to me..

Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I have yet to hear of a billionaire, not have hundreds of thousands of employees. Maybe you can point one out to me..
Plenty of very wealthy hedge fund managers with few employees, did Romney have a hundred thousand employees?

Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bill Gates, now retired. Microsoft has about 93,000 employees.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
What do you mean "control" ?

This is an effort to disclose.

And these firms should have to disclose it , as long as they want to trade on the stock markets, and be held in public pensions and people's 401k's. Both institutional and individual stockholders need transparent information about the companies available for sale, and it is the SEC's job to make that information available.
You do not need to know a company's payscale in order to make an informed decision on whether or not to invest in that company. They already report their revenue, profit, costs, liabilities, taxes, etc. The ratios of how their compensation is distributed between the various employees is entirely irrelevant. People have been making intelligent investment decisions without that information for centuries.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Plenty of very wealthy hedge fund managers with few employees, did Romney have a hundred thousand employees?
Actually yes, Romney did create hundred thousand jobs...

Ever hear of Staples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies