Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Go see this witch doctor, and trade a magic bean for a spell.
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhaa. Fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Of course. We can all be rich by being lawyers and suing each other.
Either that, or learn to prioritize and create personal budgets.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Either that, or learn to prioritize and create personal budgets.
LOL, you don't believe in that at all.

You believe in arranging your budget by what politicians want you to do. Or, in other words, you believe in politically prioritized budgets.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
I find it amazing that everyone who argues this on the left does not argue from a position that the individual should choose priorities. Rather, that the individual should be forced to do what THEY think they should do.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If someone isn't being covered by their employer, and want their employer to have insurance as a benefit, then they are free to become employed with an employer that offers insurance.
Yup. and those who don't make the earnings because some just have to start at the bottom, they can qualify to be covered under Medicaid (as outlined in the ACA).

Quote:
Harrier's employer doesn't provide insurance and Harrier has no problem with that. Previous employers offered insurance, and Harrier chose to not take advantage of the insurance.
Your lost. I take full advantage of my work provided coverage. I make sure that I go to the doctor when needed, make sure I have my yearly exams; see the dentist twice a year, see the eye doctor once a year;

Quote:
So, you can see that there can be many reasons why someone is not covered by insurance through their employer, including choosing to be uninsured.
yes, but why anyone wants to be uninsured is beyond me.

When I broke my leg in a motorcycle accident, the cost to set my leg in an External fixation device (not a traditional cast) was $9,000 (due to the fact that my leg was broken in two places).

I was 24 years old, and making $9/hr part time, going to college full time. I didn't have $9K lying around.

Insurance took care of the cost (80%) . So with my deductible, I paid all of $1500. Now, that I could afford.

Why you have to pay the penalty? Because like many of you who think you're indestructible, the penalty is to offset those who think they can just get insurance the moment they get sick or get injured.

For example:
A town has a firehouse that is funded by yearly fees by those who live there. That fee is only $200 per year per household, paid directly to that firehouse's fund.

A household refuses to pay that fee, thinking that his home will be safe from fire. He decides not to pay that fee by Jan 1, 2013 to be covered for the rest of the year. then the summer comes along, some idiot throw a lit cigarette into a bush on his property as they drive down the street. a fire starts, and spreads from that bush, to the wood pile that is just outside his house. this ignites the wood pile, then spreads to his house. His house catches fire.

He calls the fire department, and they arrive, but will not put the fire out, since the home owner didn't pay his fees. They can only watch to make sure that the fire doesn't spread to any other property.

Property owner at that moment says 'HEre is my fees, put that fire out!", and the firefighters can't accept the payment.

Home owner now has to watch as his property goes up in flames.

that is what the ACA Penalty does. Make sure that you get coverage, and if you don't, you pay a fine until you do get coverage, so you aren't "cheating" the system by getting coverage only at the time you need it.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Wow. Do you suppose you could go back and read through this again? Perhaps this time refrain from telling other people what they can and cannot afford?
you really need to go back and read through since you made up an imaginary couple living beyond their means. part of that cost is your LINE item of "debts/hobbies/etc" at $250

If they can afford $80 in HOBBIES, toward "debts/hobbies/etc" they can find insurance coverage for that cost as well. Either through the Medical Marketplace , or through state funded medicaid.

again, no one is going to feel sorry for anyone who wants a large HD SCreen at the cost of $1800 (aka more than $100 a month for a year) but cry that $100 a month for a year for medical coverage is too high.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
One of the least talked about (impact-wise) provisions of Obamacare is that an insurance company CAN NOT refuse to sell you a policy due to a pre-existing condition, nor can they chose to not cover that pre-existing condition.

Think about that.

I can pay $12k/year for an ACA compliant policy. OR, I can not buy a policy, and pay for the little stuff out of pocket (which is what I've been doing for the past seven years, and I've saved a TON of money), and pay a tax at the end of the year which amounts to a fraction of that $12k. If I get diagnosed with cancer or some other catastrophic illness, I'll buy insurance then. They can't refuse, and they can't charge me an arm and a leg - Obamacare fixes insurance (read: not care) prices, too. The only situation not covered is accidents, and I have medical on my car insurance policy. That leaves very little to chance.

It's a no brainer. Anyone who thinks that young, healthy kids are going to pay $6k-10k per year for a policy they don't want and can't afford, instead of paying a small percentage of that as a penalty is insane. And the solvency of Obamacare (if you want to claim that it's solvent, even with those kids buying insurance) DEPENDS on those youngsters buying into it.

It's so ridiculously obvious that this thing is going to go down in flames. You can be an Obama cheerleader and hardcore Democrat/liberal/whatever all day long - I don't care - but if you have an ounce of intelligence, you have to see that this thing is doomed to fail.

I personally believe that that's the intention. It's going to fail - badly - and in 10 or 20 years, the government is going to swoop in and "save" us. They'll claim that private healthcare simply doesn't work, and they'll point to the last 10 or 20 years as evidence, not expecting people to realize that it's the government that destroyed it. At that point, people will be so frustrated with the whole thing that they'll be happy to capitulate to a full blown socialized system. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want (and if you pay any attention to my posts in other threads, you know that I'm anything but a conspiracy theorist), but that's where I see the road we're on with Obamacare leading us.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Your lost. I take full advantage of my work provided coverage. I make sure that I go to the doctor when needed, make sure I have my yearly exams; see the dentist twice a year, see the eye doctor once a year;
Harrier hasn't been to a doctor in 15 years, a dentist in 10(his teeth are fine) and he goes to the eye doctor once a year and pays out of pocket.

Someone who does not need or want insurance should not be forced to buy something that they don't desire.

Last edited by Harrier; 09-18-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

You believe in arranging your budget by what politicians want you to do. Or, in other words, you believe in politically prioritized budgets.
Thanks for trying to tell me what I believe but you missed the mark again.

I have always prioritized health insurance near the top, and never been without insurance. Never.

The best advice I can give you is to become more personally responsible and learn to create priorities and learn how to make a budget.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:

I believe in healthcare being treated like primary education: an essential building block for a free and prosperous society.

You believe healthcare is a commodity like a Cadillac.

You and I will never see eye to eye on this issue. You will NEVER make me or similarly minded people feel bad about believing the government can and should have a hand in doing what it takes to get everyone covered. I see it as a moral, economic and national security issue. You only care about your wallet and saving some measly amount in taxes. Again, the sacrifice of pragmatism for philosophy. It's one of America's and American's greatest flaws.

No matter, you and others will continue to receive the benefit of a society ordered around pooled risk and pooled benefit, whether you like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies