Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 02:21 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Military should be paid first. Then the government workers who perform essential jobs. Then the workers who show up to work but do little. Those who get free money should be the first ones cut off.

Stop the welfare checks first.
Congress should be the first to be cut off. If they can't make the government function, no pay or benefits for them until they figure it out. Why should everyone else suffer from their dysfunction, but not them, especially since they are the ones who are NOT doing what they're being paid for?

Old 09-28-2013, 02:27 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,585,753 times
The Hill· 33 minutes ago

GOP releases text of 'Pay Our Military Act' - The Hill's Floor Action

Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Congress should be the first to be cut off. If they can't make the government function, no pay or benefits for them until they figure it out. Why should everyone else suffer from their dysfunction, but not them, especially since they are the ones who are NOT doing what they're being paid for?
The ones who aren't trying to bring down the debt certainly shouldn't be paid.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:27 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,405,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why should a Janitor working as federal employee cleaning up the offices of a government agency be blamed for Obama's problems? Should he be paid later than some millionaire on Social Security? Not everyone working for the Federal Government is evil!

Now back to my original question!
Because government shutdowns have been a known, real threat for 20 years, and if that janitor went to work for the feds anytime after the 1995 shutdown they should have been prepared for this possibility and take the responsibility and consequenses of that decision. If I apply to a company that is already in bankruptcy and having trouble paying their bills, I have not right to cry when my hours get cut or my paycheck bounces.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,405,302 times
And no, nobody should be guaranteed payment in a shutdown. You know my dad, starting around 1970 used to brag how great social security was because he only needed to collect for 4 years to get back everything he contributed, he would brag to me at age 6 how SS would be bankrupted by his generation, and their was nothing we could do about it because the elderly would always have to votes to screw us. He was a liberal Democrat and a union official. He always made it clear that his generations actions would bankrupt the country, but slept well at night "knowing" the crash would come after his passing. Well, I am near 50, he is nearing 69, I think it's high time he experiences to reality of the world he proudly helped create.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
IF there is a government shut down should certain groups be guaranteed their pay?
If the government shuts down, that implies that all government operations will cease. That means nobody will be working. And if they won't be working, then they shouldn't get paid.

[if we don't "have" the money, then how could we have the money to pay non-working employees?]

Old 09-28-2013, 03:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
No one should be getting paid in the event of a shut down. It might make people start thinking about who they elect.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
If the government shuts down, I will head into work as usual, paid or not. Some things are above politics and are too important. I control/command two instruments on two different earth orbiting environmental satellites. These things have cost us, (the country and its taxpayers), too much to leave neglected. I have a duty to keep those things operating. If I don't get paid . . . I'll survive.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
IF there is an extended government shut down they are now saying that OUR TROOPS will have to keep working but may not be paid in time. But the people getting veterans benefits and Social Security will get paid on time. But essential Federal Government employees while forced to work but will not be paid until there is a new budget. Those government employees who are not considered essential will be not allowed to work but will not be paid either.

Troops Won't Get Paid During Shutdown - The Daily Beast

Here is my question: IF there is a government shut down should certain groups be guaranteed their pay OVER OTHERS?

If there is limited manpower to administer pay during a shut down should one group get preference over another? Is it fair to hold the pay of the troops and pay Vets/ seniors on Social Security? Should the so called non essential Nurse, or Janitor, or Teacher at a military base who are civil service not active military have to wait for their pay, while troops not in combat get paid? Why should Vets or the retired on Social Security be paid but an essential employee who is working have to wait to be paid until there is a budget?

PLEASE...lets just discuss fairness on who should be paid not the pros and cons and the political aspects of the shut down!
The simple answer is some spending is classified as "Mandatory" (Social Security, Medicare & others) and some spending is classified as "Discretionary" (appropriations, many Federal employees, many departments, grants ..... actually a lot of our spending).

As to the "Discretionary" spending - you are really talking about "essential" and "non-essential" employees. The amazing thing is that about 1/2 of the Federal employees fall into the "non-essential" category ....... that's worth thinking about. Perhaps we should cut out some of the "non-essential" employees. Attrition would do it, we don't actually have to have massive lay-offs.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,799 times
I work in air traffic. I'm considered exempted and will continue to work and get paid. Any leave I choose to take will be unpaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies