Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 01:54 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
The ACA was passed 3 years ago. Not only was Obama re-elected, he absolutely demolished Romney at the polls. Americans have spoken, they re-elected Obama even after ACA was passed. What's the hold up then? Why should a small tea party minority be allowed to destroy the country?

Why should the country be paralyzed every single time the debt limit needs to be raised? It just creates a never ending cycle of gridlock and political bargaining every year. Don't be surprised then when investors no long invest in the USA because politics have become too unstable.

Why should the debt limit ever be raised?

Can you give me a good reason why a government that has proven over and over that they have no issues with destroying the nation with debt should be given permission to spend even more money we don't have and never will have?

I'd love to hear the long-term plan behind continued unrestricted deficit spending.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:03 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The facts are that Republicans are the ones using the negative effects of the shutdown as leverage to assert the agenda that they can't carry through elections and legislation. So obviously, the Republicans are the ones who are trying to shut down the government if they don't get their way.

So, as reasonable people can plainly see, I am right and you are wrong.
Clearly, you're unreasonable because you're wrong. The FACT is the Republicans were voted in to do exactly what they're doing, oppose the Democrat agenda. Liberals had YEARS to do what they wanted and got nothing done and now are whining because they aren't getting their way when the FACT is the people voted in more Republicans than Democrats.

It's sad that to a liberal compromise means "do it my way", if they weren't so infantile maybe there would be progress.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Again, the health care bill is funded. You can believe what ever you want.
No its not.. the bill is the law, but they don't fund spending out 10 years, despite your imaginary claims..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
That poster wont get it.
I wont get why people proclaim things to be fact that are not even close to fact.. You're right.. I wont ever get why you do that..

Old 09-29-2013, 02:15 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No its not.. the bill is the law, but they don't fund spending out 10 years, despite your imaginary claims..

I wont get why people proclaim things to be fact that are not even close to fact.. You're right.. I wont ever get why you do that..
The next phase of Obamacare will continue as scheduled on October 1st, government shutdown be damned. That means it's funded. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Shut it down.
Down with Obamacare.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:19 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Why should the debt limit ever be raised?

Can you give me a good reason why a government that has proven over and over that they have no issues with destroying the nation with debt should be given permission to spend even more money we don't have and never will have?

I'd love to hear the long-term plan behind continued unrestricted deficit spending.
When government spends so much of our money that it has to essentially borrow a third more, and spend that too, they are essentially raising taxes on the nation by 30%.

It's simple, just follow what 0bama said a few years ago, to go thru the federal budget line by line and cut programs that don't work and end this profligate spending. Should be easy, since the GAO already handed 0bama a report that can cut hundreds of billions in wasteful spending.

GAO Details Billions in Federal Waste

Obama in 2008: I Want To Go Through The Federal Budget Line By Line - YouTube

Old 09-29-2013, 02:23 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
When the government shuts down in a few days and bills/benefits already owed stop being paid;
SS benefits have never been affected in any other so-called government shutdown. Even Federal employee pay during the shutdown was repaid.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:25 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
The facts are that Republicans are the ones using the negative effects of the shutdown as leverage to assert the agenda that they can't carry through elections and legislation. So obviously, the Republicans are the ones who are trying to shut down the government if they don't get their way.

So, as reasonable people can plainly see, I am right and you are wrong.

You can be sure if it comes to a shutdown Obama will do everything in his power to make it hurt as much as he can because it's not about the country to him, just all politics.

It will be a push to create support for "his (fake) cause".

It's all games and tugging at your emotions with him.

It's something all politician do but he is the epitome of it.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:27 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The next phase of Obamacare will continue as scheduled on October 1st, government shutdown be damned. That means it's funded. Why is this so difficult to understand?
If this is as you say, then why the over-the-top hateful rhetoric coming from this president and his administration?

0bama back in January of 2011: - "make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds." "...usher in more civility in our public discourse, ...rather because only a more civil and honest public discourse can help us face up to our challenges as a nation, in a way that would make them proud."

Well, so much for 0bama reading the teleprompter and not believing a freaking word of what he says. This is from the freaking White House no less:

"What we're not for is negotiating with people with a bomb strapped to their chest. The Republicans have provided a laundry list of essentially ransom demands." senior White House adviser Dan Pfeiffer said on CNN.

For people not paying attention the "senior White House adviser" means he is speaking directly for the president, and everything coming out of his mouth is straight from the top. Pathetic, is what this president and his party have become

Old 09-29-2013, 02:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Shut it down.
Down with Obamacare.
And if they shut it down, they may just find how much of the government we really don't need. I'm with you. Shut it down until we have a balanced budget. If balancing the budget forces defunding of obamacare then it, obviously, was never funded in the first place and is something we can't afford. It doesn't matter if the majority want it if we can't pay the bill. If we can't afford it, we can't afford it. It will have to be modified into something we can afford or you can slap and extra 5% tax on every working American to pay for it but you have to pay for it.

Did people really think that obamacare would just be magically funded without tax increases given the government is running on a deficit budget? (The fact we live among people ignorant enough to think that voting it in means it's paid for should scare us to the bone.) You can want a big house in a wealthy neighborhood all you want but if you can't pay the bill you can't actually have one. Obamacare is our McMansion in the wealthy neighborhood that we can't afford on our maxed out credit card budget (the sad thing is if we didn't have government debt, we could probably afford it.). Until obamacare is funded, and it is NOT funded, given we are running a deficit, we can't have it no matter how much we want it. The republicans threatening to shut down the government know this. The dems are living in la-la land on this one. That would be the land where money grows on trees and math doesn't exist.

The simple solution is to tax every working American to pay for it. If you want it, you have to pay for it. It's not free. I personally don't want it but it makes a hell of a lot more sense to me to have an obamacare tax to pay for it that everyone must pay than to run out and get more credit to have that big house we can't afford. Eventually, this house of cards must come down and it will come down on our children's and grand children's heads. We have no right to mortgage their futures. If we want it, we have to pay for it. It's not free. This is one of the reasons I think obummer is a raving idiot. If you can do high school math you know that something isn't paid for if you're borrowing money to have it and that you simply cannot buy a McMansion if you don't have the income. Maybe this McMansion needs to be downsized to a bungalow. Maybe we all need to get second jobs to pay for it. Maybe we need a combination of both. If you want it, you must pay for it. Put your money where your mouth is please.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-29-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies