Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times

Advertisements

Love Guns & Coffee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:03 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Starbucks aren't public places. They're private property. They want to ban firearms from their premises, they have every right. Those who think they don't are only cherry picking laws. You cannot support the second amendment while attacking others for exercising the rights of private property.
Starbucks Is a business open to the Public. .There is nothing private when it comes to serving anyone who walks through the door. Private is when the establishment holds itself out to be a private club. Ihe day I see TSA people checking your belongings at the door is the day I stop going there.All "private" businesses According to the law must serve the public, it's all part of their business model that was presented to The zoning board or the city council.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I think in light of recent events and the public statement Howard Schultz made yesterday, it is high time to address what His words mean to the People and those who open carry into public places.... My feeling is the words of Howard and His plea to open carry patrons in his stores could be the beginning of a debate we have not had as of late. That is . should citizens ( customers) open carry at their favorite Starbucks or NOT ?

Lets not make this thread about the likes and dislikes of Starbucks, this is not the Food Forum. Starbucks honors the remarks of their patrons more than another private business out there that I know of , so , according to the survey and the majority vote to not have gun carrying people in the store , " it makes them Uncomfortable " as Howard S. said in an interview on MSNBC yesterday.... What are YOUR thoughts on the issues and is Starbucks the beginning of a greater controversy that will go far behond The coffee shops around the World ?
I have never bought anything at Starbucks and never will.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:09 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Starbucks Is a business open to the Public. .There is nothing private when it comes to serving anyone who walks through the door. Private is when the establishment holds itself out to be a private club. Ihe day I see TSA people checking your belongings at the door is the day I stop going there.All "private" businesses According to the law must serve the public, it's all part of their business model that was presented to The zoning board or the city council.
Any company can develop their own regulations and restrictions as long as they are not discriminatory, rules for wearing shoes, shorts, some restaurants require sports jackets. Perfectly within the rights of a privately own business.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
How about the old ~ "No shoes, no shirt; no service." Remember that one?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:16 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

You're joking right? Did it ever occur to you that some guy carrying a gun might shoot innocent victims while trying to shoot the bad guy. I mean, is everyone who carries a gun educated in how to deal with this type of situation. The answer in no. So yeah, a person carrying a weapon could make a situation worse.
Let's try a basic scenario here. In this scenario, there is someone in a public place who is armed and has criminal intentions of killing as many people as possible. At this public place is another individual who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon and has the means at hand to stop the shooter early in the attack. Are you seriously advocating that - assuming a clear line of fire - the person who is licensed should not fire at the shooter on the off chance that they might miss and hit an innocent who the shooter was planning on killing anyway?

In a situation where there is a shooter firing at unarmed people, he's going to kill as many as he possibly can until someone who is armed shows up to stop him. Given that his goal is to kill as many people as possible, the risk of "possibly" shooting an innocent is outweighed by the responsibility of an armed citizen to stop the shooter as quickly as possible to save more lives. It isn't rocket surgery, it's common sense and moral responsibility.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
You don't understand what private property is.

Private property is property not owned by some sort of government.

Open carry laws do not apply to private property, stores are private property. My family owns a business. We can tell anybody to leave that property at any time for any reason.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:59 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
I think in light of recent events and the public statement Howard Schultz made yesterday, it is high time to address what His words mean to the People and those who open carry into public places.... My feeling is the words of Howard and His plea to open carry patrons in his stores could be the beginning of a debate we have not had as of late. That is . should citizens ( customers) open carry at their favorite Starbucks or NOT ?

Lets not make this thread about the likes and dislikes of Starbucks, this is not the Food Forum. Starbucks honors the remarks of their patrons more than another private business out there that I know of , so , according to the survey and the majority vote to not have gun carrying people in the store , " it makes them Uncomfortable " as Howard S. said in an interview on MSNBC yesterday.... What are YOUR thoughts on the issues and is Starbucks the beginning of a greater controversy that will go far behond The coffee shops around the World ?
"Starbucks honors the remarks of their patrons more than another private business out there that I know of"

And how did you come up with these great words of wisdom?

Old 09-21-2013, 04:07 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If I make it at home, I can do it with my handgun stuffed in the waistband of my pants.
<cringe> At least when I make coffee at home, the only thing I have to fear hitting my groinal area is the coffee itself.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Starbucks honors the remarks of their patrons more than another private business out there that I know of"

And how did you come up with these great words of wisdom?
You would know if you were a Starbucks fan. So, since you are not , Starbucks maintains an extensive forum on there official web site.I have been told HS reads all of the incoming...Check it out if you do not beleave , it's open to the public as well as those who belong , who , will have greater axcess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies