Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
So, your infantile rant meant to imply the hierarchy of the Catholic Church was getting rich off opening grade schools that they enslaved nuns to labor in is just, well, infantile.
I never suggested Catholic schools were getting rich off of their cheap labor, I said they were able to fund their schools much easier because of it. Many are going under NOW because they can't or won't pay teachers enough to retain quality staffs. And having to pay lay personnel has made tuition out of reach for many now.

Quote:
But the fact remains public schools have teachers that shouldn't be teaching in schools (plenty of teachers having sex with their students).
Which has absolutely nothing to do with nuns in Catholic schools.

Quote:
At do you mean by "dumped into the schools"? You make it sound as if the hierarchy of the Catholic Church made nuns go teach?
I had three nuns in my first four years of grammar school who should never have been in front of a class. As I said previously, one fell asleep every afternoon. One hit a child on the very first day of first grade. Another made a left-handed boy spend all of third grade standing at a side chalkboard trying to master writing with his right hand. He never did, and he didn't pass third grade. These are my experiences. Again, don't try to tell me they aren't.

Quote:
You made a declarative statement getting the nuns out of Catholic schools was the best thing Catholic education ever did.
That was my experience. And I actually had it pretty easy in comparison to the tales my Mom tells about nuns when she was in school in the '30s and '40s. I personally know two women who are ex-nuns, and they are wonderful, compassionate, caring women. That doesn't detract from the experience I, and many others, had in the Catholic school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Most pedophiles are straight, but please continue to spread malicious lies. It confirms to me your religious claims are a fraud.
If a man sexually abuses a boy most are convinced he is a gay pedophile but go on trying to protect gay men, it still won't convince anyone.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If a man sexually abuses a boy most are convinced he is a gay pedophile.
Only the ignorant.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Having endured all of my school years in the Catholic system, I must take issue with this statement. While there were a few good nuns, the vast majority should never have been in the front of a classroom. One broke a yardstick over the backend of a first grader on the very first day of first grade (yeah, that will inspire a love of learning for a room full of terrified six year-olds), and my fourth grade nun was so old and sickly that she fell asleep at her desk every day. These women were thrown into classrooms because they were cheap labor to keep the Catholic schools open and the money flowing. Many had no business being educators. When I was halfway through grammar school Vatican II happened and the nuns all disappeared. It was the best thing that could have happened for Catholic education.
Women stopped becoming nuns during the sexual revolution in the 60s. You seem to have been caught in that and yes those nuns were too old or not of the temperament to teach. I see more girls now are joining convents so we may get some quality ones in the future.

I know of some secular women who should not be in the class room as well. I had my own stories to tell about both but also I learned from the quality ones.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
God straightens out one who becomes a Christian .. the Holy Spirit gives self control .. when one has a heart that follows Jesus they do not want to sin... they hate sin and love God .. When one loves God they do not want to sin. God does not leave Christians defenseless against the power of satan.. satans power is destroyed and the love of God is manifest in their life as they grow stronger in the word and love of God.. It is a spiritual journey to walk with Jesus.. God perfects them each day with love and grace.. God does not fall off his throne if a Christian sins and repents.. God's love and grace covers the sin if one confesses their sin to God and repents .

Are you working for Joel Osteen now?

O/T

Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Pope Francis says church cannot focus only on abortion and gay marriage - World News

Maybe the GOP, most of middle America and the South should adopt this more rational line of thought then obsess about other's lifestyles.
No, the GOP NEEDS red herrings and obstructionism like religion because they have no economic policy. They cannot discuss facts or reason. They can only appeal to hysteria and emotion.

And red staters are suffering economically. This is the conundrum that is a major fail for the GOP and their antiquated "southern startegy" to divide and conquer.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Women stopped becoming nuns during the sexual revolution in the 60s.
Which was about the time women started to get the opportunity to become something other than a nun. Or a nurse. Or a secretary. Or the wife of a man who wanted her pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen.

She could go to college. She could have a career. She could even have sex when and where and with whom she chose. Just like......... men!

The Catholics who wanted their women in the nunnery or having 10 children never seemed to get over the sex part.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I never suggested Catholic schools were getting rich off of their cheap labor, I said they were able to fund their schools much easier because of it. Many are going under NOW because they can't or won't pay teachers enough to retain quality staffs. And having to pay lay personnel has made tuition out of reach for many now.
The public schools are closing too. What is you explanation for that?

So many public schools in the City of Milwaukee closed it almost made me want to cry. Washington High School a public high school in the neighborhood I grew up in has turned into 2 or 3 separate schools in the same building that once housed the mighty Washington High School. That theme is repeated all over the city in many school buildings. The public schools in Milwaukee are now considering doing away with "middle schools" and making grade school all 1st through the 8th grade in the same school, like Catholic schools have done for eons, because supposedly it's cheaper.

While my grade school of St. John de Nepomuc closed down, the public school system bought it, turned it into a public school, then closed that down several years ago. The big public Jackie Robinson Middle School I passed every day that I walked to and from St. John's as a kid, was closed down many, many years ago. The city finally sold the building to a developer 2 or 3 years ago that has turned it into low-income apartments for old people past retirement age.

What has happen in Milwaukee--and many other cities--is that the tax base has fallen in the cities due to middle-class jobs leaving, being replaced by low paying service jobs. Families have moved to the suburbs as well. The City of Chicago has closed an incredible number of public schools which gain an uproar in Chicago. It made national news.

The Catholic schools began closing before the public schools due in no small part by not having been funded primarily by public tax dollars. So, they were the first on the chopping blocks as the "American Dream" began to wane.

Company begins converting MPS school to apartments - JSOnline

Quote:
Company begins converting MPS school to apartments
Quote:
A development company ceremonially broke ground Wednesday on converting a closed Milwaukee middle school to an apartment complex for seniors.

Developer Gorman & Co. bought the old Jackie Robinson Middle School from Milwaukee Public Schools and intends to convert the building at 3245 N. 37th Street into the 68-unit Sherman Park Senior Living Community.
Chicago Public Schools closings - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
CPS to close 61 buildings, affecting 30,000 kids
Quote:
With Chicago Public Schools facing a financial meltdown, Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration on Thursday targeted 61 school buildings for closing, unleashing a torrent of criticism from anxious parents, children and teachers as well as aldermen.

Over 100 Arrested Protesting Mass School Closings In Chicago - YouTube
The largest school closings in US history is happening in Chicago - YouTube

Are public schools closing in Milwaukee, Chicago, and other parts of the nation because the cities won't or can't pay the teachers more?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM

545 posts, read 451,622 times
The schools will be different in all the different areas.

Last edited by macpherson; 09-24-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 04:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Which was about the time women started to get the opportunity to become something other than a nun. Or a nurse. Or a secretary. Or the wife of a man who wanted her pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen.

She could go to college. She could have a career. She could even have sex when and where and with whom she chose. Just like......... men!

The Catholics who wanted their women in the nunnery or having 10 children never seemed to get over the sex part.
Women could go to college before that. Your ignorant comment doesn't explain why men were going into the priesthood prior to the 1960s.

What... men couldn't go to college, couldn't have a career, couldn't have sex when and where they wanted?

Next you're going to be telling me black people didn't own businesses, couldn't go to college, and were eating watermelon on front porches before the 1960s came along.

Take your asinine caricatures based not a drop in reality somewhere else.

By the way... my mother graduated from Alverno college. An all woman's Catholic college.

Alverno College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Alverno College is a Roman Catholic, four-year, independent, liberal arts college, historically and still primarily a women's college located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Quote:
Chartered in 1887 as St. Joseph's Normal School, Alverno became Alverno Teachers College in 1936. It adopted its current name in 1946.[3]

Life Inside Alverno College, Milwaukee, WI - YouTube
Alverno College - Celebrating 125 Years - YouTube

Last edited by Supine; 09-24-2013 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies