Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,457,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Way to support them....

We're just so hurt by this," said Sister Angela Escalera, who was apprised of the decision in a letter. "We're not even worth a phone call," she told the Los Angeles Times. Alas, Escalera, who works with undocumented immigrants and has lived in the convent for 43 years, will not be giving any more interviews any time soon. She and other members of the Sisters of Bethany have been silenced by the church they've served all their lives, under a gag order that speaks to the transparency that was promised to the faithful post-scandal.
The three sisters live in the two-bedroom home owned by the archdiocese and have maintained it mostly on Escalera's SSI disability income. They are supposed to vacate by Dec. 31, though an earlier departure "would be acceptable as well," said the eviction notice, which was signed by Monsignor Royale Vadakin, vicar general for the archdiocese.

Before she was banned from speaking with journalists, Escalera said, "What hurts most is what the money will be used for, to help pay for the pedophile priests. We have to sacrifice our home for that?"

The priest sex-abuse scandal claims some new, elderly victims.

Tossing elderly nuns out on the street while the Vatican is sitting on a great deal of wealth. Nice.
Thank you for posting this. I will go to catholic.com and ask about it. I know the priest scandal has done a lot of damage to the church with millions of dollars paid out to victims. Old nuns should not be hurt by it. Most convents have retirement homes for their religious. I live close to a retirement carehome for priests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,283,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Thank you for posting this. I will go to catholic.com and ask about it. I know the priest scandal has done a lot of damage to the church with millions of dollars paid out to victims. Old nuns should not be hurt by it. Most convents have retirement homes for their religious. I live close to a retirement carehome for priests.
It happened up here, as well. About a half-dozen elderly nuns were kicked out of their home because the church needed to shelter a pedophile priest.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,457,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It happened up here, as well. About a half-dozen elderly nuns were kicked out of their home because the church needed to shelter a pedophile priest.
HUH? Pedofile priests are usually sent to a monestary so they will be away from children and around people who can watch them. That would be after they get out of jail, if they are sent to trial. Never heard of this.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
HUH? Pedofile priests are usually sent to a monestary so they will be away from children and around people who can watch them. That would be after they get out of jail, if they are sent to trial. Never heard of this.
Well, I'm in a different country. He needed a place to live while the scandal died down, so the nuns were given the heave-ho. Monasteries aren't exactly common up here. I think we have a Buddhist monastery in town.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:53 PM

545 posts, read 450,474 times
The monks in Quebec took the vow of silence , have a huge set up and make cheese in the fields.

The mansion is about a 30,000 sq ft building or more, along with hundreds of acres in land. There are many many rooms , in the morning you can hear the dozens of monks singing in th chapel which is as huge as a Church inside the mansion, the acoustics throughout the building are astounding.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
The monks in Quebec took the vow of silence , have a huge set up and make cheese in the fields.
Those would be the Trappist monks. You can't send a Catholic priest there.
And that cheese is to die for.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 PM

I used to go there all the time to buy cheese and chocolate-covered blueberries. Absolutely gorgeous. They moved to Lanaudiere, as there were only 28 monks left.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,541,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What? What does Lady Gaga have to do with the church. Ah, are you talking abut the Sister Act movie where song brought people into the church when they normally wouldn't have gone lol This pope is trying to get through to all the hatred and teach acceptance and love which I guess is a foreign concept to you. Keep on hating then I guess.
Then what of the love a mother should have for her own child? Abortion is about the worst form of hatred that can exist. Why doesn't the pope work on acceptance and love for unborn babies?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,738,547 times
Quote:
So the gay priests who were molesting boys weren't really gay? Maybe you can tell them they are just imaging they are gay.
The issue here is your lack of understanding of what makes someone gay. Young boys are more like young girls, not men. Gay men are attracted to masculine qualities that young boys do not possess. Gay men are not just attracted to someone because they have a Y chromosome. Pedophilia and Sexual Orientation also are not the same. One can be heterosexual in their adult orientation, but target both young boys and girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies