Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 12:25 PM

361 posts, read 724,914 times

Advertisements

Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/19/pope-francis-church-cant-interfere-with-gays/

I rarely post on this forum but I came across this article and thought I'd share it here. I'm not a catholic myself, but Christian of a nondenominational church and I find interesting how Catholics are evolving on this topic.
I also thought he answered like a politician and was very careful with the words he used regarding the subject.

"Love the person, Hate the sin". That's the way I interpreted his responses. Here's an excerpt of the interview:

"When Francis was a bishop in Buenos Aires, Argentina, he received letters from gays and lesbians who said they were "socially wounded" by the church, he said.
"But the church does not want to do this," Francis said in the interview
By saying this, I said what the catechism says," the pope told Spadaro. The catechism, the Catholic Church's book of official doctrine, condemns homosexual acts, but says gays and lesbians "must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity."
"Religion has the right to express its opinion in the service of the people, but God in creation has set us free: it is not possible to interfere spiritually in the life of a person."
Francis said that someone once asked him if he "approved" of homosexuality.
"I replied with another question," he said. "`Tell me, when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person. Here we enter into the mystery of the human being."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 12:27 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
I thought it was also somewhat interesting that he takes the position that atheists and other non-believers can get into heaven anyway. I am a non-religious person, but I have to admit that this progressive direction for the catholic church is a positive thing.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I thought it was also somewhat interesting that he takes the position that atheists and other non-believers can get into heaven anyway. I am a non-religious person, but I have to admit that this progressive direction for the catholic church is a positive thing.
You are misguided. The Catholic church is not going in a progressive direction. You evidently haven't read this before, but, he is quoting the same teachings of the Church that are very old. Just because you are ignorant of it does not make it new.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 PM

33,569 posts, read 18,147,060 times
Love the person , hate the sin.. God hates sin but loves his creation , his people.. satan snares God's people into following Satan who is the father of sin and promotes rebellion from God.

Jesus said to repent of your sins and enter into the kingdom of God... very simple plain message that hasn't changed because Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
I totally agree with this point.
Quote:
"The church has sometimes locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules,' Francis said. "The people of God want pastors, not clergy acting like bureaucrats or government officials."
Pope Francis: Gays, Abortion Too Much Of Catholic Church's Obsession

Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 PM

33,569 posts, read 18,147,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Jesus said we all walk in sin are condemned already. No judgement from a person can condemn them.. their sin already condemns them..

Jesus came to take that condemnation away by accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior and repent from their sin..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies