Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
President Franklin Pierce argued that the federal government should not commit itself to social welfare which he believed was properly the responsibility of the states.
And he is considered one of the worst presidents of all time. Good role model!
5. Millard Fillmore: The 10 Worst Presidents - US News & World Report

Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Adults, and adults without children, not necessarily the same group, is it?
So now you want six year old children to get jobs? Yeah, what ever tough guy.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
And they shouldn't just be given money for rent. Section 8 has been a disaster for old cities. The neighborhoods have been ravaged by crime as a result of single parent households that we enable through welfare and food stamps and section 8.
That's why you make smaller section 8 housing complexes and scatter them all around town.

There is a couple small affordable housing complexes where i live and i live in probably the safest city in the state.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
80% of adults on food stamps do have jobs, you coward.
Um, committing Food Stamp Fraud is not a job, and neither is selling drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree that there's fraud. But how much fraud ?

They need to do annual audits on these means tested programs.
Sure it costs money but we'll end up saving more in the long run and allow those that really qualify to stay on them.

The Lifeline program (free cellphones) did an audit and 41% did not qualify for those free phones.
41% people...that's nearly 1/2 of the the subscribers. That's major fraud, corruption and total lack of government oversight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Why does that matter? People NEED communications. How do you get thru life in 2013 without a phone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I dont have time to research that phone thingy but in glancing at it, it appears to only work if ots connected to your internet or home extension...does this mean that it is not really like a cellphone that you can use when your in the car or outside your home? Either way, what is your point in this tale? That because you found some obscure service you demand everyone else do the same?
I was at Kroger's today, and there was a van parked in the parking lot giving away Obamaphones, and then while walking home from Kroger's, I was accosted by a woman several blocks away wanting to know if I wanted a free phone.

Before someone screams, "Reagan!" you all need to get your facts together.

Reagan's Life-line plan was no frills basic telephone service.

This Obamaphone is total full-line service. I could have gotten a $50 plan for only $10 with the Obamaphone complete with e-mail, internet connection, GPS and everything else.

Who pays the other $40/month for the bells and whistles?

The tax-payers. They were ready to sign me up without any documentation or proof of anything. All I had to do was given them an address.

Who on this forum would like to know why?

Read the damn law.

Service providers and carriers are protected and shielded from due diligence and errors and omissions by the tax-payers.

That means I sign you up and if 8 months later it is discovered somehow that you do not qualify or that you never qualified...

....that's just too damn bad.

Who's liable here? Only the tax-payer. The service provider is shielded, the carrier is shielded and the user is shielded.

People can get through the end of this Century with a $16 land-line....they don't need cell-phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to SNAP, illegals are not eligible for food stamps

Eligible household members can get SNAP benefits even if there are other members of the household that are not eligible.
Quote:
The anchor babies qualify them.
Well, there you go...hat's off to Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Franky, I am tired of this whole mess with the damn illegal aliens and Food Stamps and everything else. Shirley, someone in government can man up and order the illegals out of the country.

Can I just say that everyone should bookmark Judicial Watch? They do great work, and please donate if you can.

It was Judicial Watch who sued to get the meeting-minutes from Cheney and the energy clowns, and who also got the list of bidders on 9 geological tracts of land in Iraq being bid out for exploration.

If I remember, I identified two entities on the bidder's list as front companies for CIA/MI5 (I believe one of them was based in South Africa --- the country, not the continent).

Judicially...

Mircea

Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Yeah, it's the government's responsibility to provide food for people who cannot provide for themselves.
Which government?

City?

Other municipal?

County?

Regional State?

State?

You do understand the meaning of the phrase "federal republic," right?

Just wondering.

Quote:
They expanded SNAP and laxed the rules since 2009.
It's 130% of FPL so cuts will most likely effect those over FPL.
Quote:
$3.9 Billion a year in cuts is not significant. Qualifying families with school-aged children are a part of the free/reduced lunch program, at school, during the school year. Easy enough to knock off $1.30 per school-aged child for every school day and hit, if not exceed the target reduction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Sure, a 5% cut over 10 years for a program that's ballooned 150% in 5 years ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You guys do realize the requirements for this program were relaxed and eligibility was expanded in 2002, 2008, and 2009 right? According to the article, most of the cuts are aimed at able bodied adults.

USDA ERS - What
Never let it be said that Liberals would refuse to jump at a situation and propagandize it, by spreading disinformation.

There's fairly detailed and in-depth discussions on how Liberals lie and manipulate data.

We went through this with the Chained CPI and Social Security benefits were being "cut" and "slashed" when in fact COLA is not guaranteed.

Same Liberal lies here.....the Food Stamp Program is not being cut, rather its growth is being limited.

Quote:
The FPL is evaluated and changed annually.

Federal minimum is 130% of FPL. States may deviate and increase the cap expressed as a % of the FPL. This has been the norm for at least a decade.
The "Federal Poverty Level" is the main problem.

The illegal National Government that Liberals support claims the "poverty Level" (snicker) is $11,500 for one person.

In Reality™, that is not true, as it is merely the average of 48 States (Hawaii and Alaska are excluded).

$11,500 equals $6038.85 per year in Cincinnati
$11,500 equals $21861.80 per year in San Fransisco

In other words, due to the fantastic differences in the cost-of-living throughout the entire United States, a person in Cincinnati is not impoverished unless their Income is $6,000 yet someone living in San Francisco is in poverty at $21,000.

The differences in Cost-of-Living are reflected in the costs of goods and services, relative to each of those economies. The United States has 1,539 functioning economies -- San Fransisco and Cincinnati are merely two of the 1,539.

The inviolable Laws of Economics are in full force and effect 24/7 in each of the 1,539 functioning economies. Circumstances and conditions make each of the 1,539 economies unique, and so the application of the Law of Supply & Demand, Opportunity Costs, Price Elasticity, and so on operate slightly different, but they operate nonetheless.

Additionally, the city government of San Fransisco violates the Laws of Economics by enacting ridiculous city ordinances that create Cost-push Inflation, driving up the Cost-of-Living even higher.

For two persons each receiving Social Security benefits of $1,100 per month (the average in the US)...

equals $25,115 per year in Cincinnati and is 4.1 x greater than the "federal" (snicker) Poverty Level
equals $
9132.84 per year in San Fransisco and is 2.4 x below the "federal" (snicker) Poverty Level

How can you or anyone else possibly justify that gross inequality?

How is the person in San Fransisco benefiting?

How does that support Social Justice?

What logic would you use to perpetuate such a gross injustice?

The solution here is simple.....the States should set up and run their own social security programs, and in doing so, the States can tailor the payroll taxes to the Cost-of-Living and thus avoid such injustices.

Two families of four each receiving $400/month in Food Stamps except that $400 buys....

$578.13 worth of food in Cincinnati.
$210.23 worth of food in San Fransisco

How can you or anyone else possibly justify that gross inequality?

What logic would you use to perpetuate such a gross injustice?

The solution is to allow the States to set up and run their own Food Stamp programs.

Now do you see all of the harm and suffering that Liberals cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
You know the more I hear about the lack of empathy from those on the right and even many on the left the more I feel like gathering a large group of people storming some corporate hq's as well as government buildings finding and than eating those in charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This is who the right wing wants to put on the chopping block to guarantee more tax breaks for the rich...the only people that they are in office to support and feed.
Why don't you storm the Capital building in Washington, DC and demand that the Constitution be restored?

If a "federal" (snicker) Food Stamp program did not exist......then each State would have its own program, and no money would be wasted.

Now you have something new to think about.

Applying Common Sense (and the Constitution)....

Mircea

Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Why do people assume if we want welfare fraud to be eliminated we must be Republican and support the rich and wars? I am not a Republican, I do not support unneeded wars and I don't support rich people getting tax breaks unless they are creating jobs in the USA. However I have seen many people abuse the system. I do not want to pay for those who choose not to better themselves.
There's more than enough fraud to go around:
I want IRS fraud eliminated.
I want insurance fraud eliminated.
I want mortgage fraud eliminated.
I want mail, phone and internet fraud eliminated.
I want credit card fraud eliminated.
I want retail fraud eliminated.

When given an opportunity many folk will defraud and we all pay for it, one way or another.

When you build a mouse trap, the mice get bigger.

There needs to be a cost-benefit associated with detecting and preventing fraud.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
If you want food you have to buy it yourself... i don't wanna pay for it.
Yeah, if your house is on fire, put it out yourself. I don't wanna pay for the Fire Department to come help you either.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
The fact is that welfare fraud is absolutely rampant and out of control in this country.

No one wants to see anyone who needs it get cut off, but something must be done to stop the multi-generational families that live to work the system, and have large litters of children who are raised up being taught how to work the system instead of working at a job.

I am so sick of seeing people with smart phones, designer clothes, and 100.00 shoes on pushing 2 shopping carts filled with junk food right after the welfare $ goes out each month. I have lived in an inner city where everyone pays with food stamps in my line, and there are people standing outside selling and trading them every day.

Seriously, the fraud is 100% absolutely, mind boggling and out of control.
At some future date, finger prints will likely replace EBT, credit and debit cards.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Um, committing Food Stamp Fraud is not a job, and neither is selling drugs.
There is certainly some food stamp fraud and people who game the system, no doubt. I've seen it firsthand. But I have a lot of professional experience in this area and I can tell you the majority of people receiving SNAP benefits are gainfully employed; they simply do not earn enough to make it with rent/mortgage, gas, groceries, utility bills and other necessities.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
Again, liberals and the media using the word 'CUT'. There are no cuts. There's a reduction of the increase. There WILL BE INCREASES EVERY YEAR. In this case it's to reduce the spending by $40 billion over 10 years. That's $4 billion a year and WILL AFFECT ONLY ABLE BODIED PEOPLE WITH NO CHILDREN AT HOME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies