Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
The real fraud takes place in propoganda like these stories construed to paint recipients of food assistance as wearing shoes that cost 100,000 dollars.
There's a ridiculous amount of $ available to crank out all sorts of propaganda to influence public perception on just about anything.

Google " welfare queen" sometime.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:11 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Yeh thats another common one too.

Agreed. And I have ZERO problem with the people that work and still need it. I know quite a few people like that. One is a single mom and she also stretches her entire tax return out over the year to pay bills. She doesn't have to pay any bills with the money she earns. She just made a offer on her first house too.

She's been homeless. Beat by her ex. Kicked out naked by her ex. Been a meth addict.....
We should also remember that a very significant percentage of people receiving SNAP benefits are elderly, physically disabled or have a developmental disability.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
We should also remember that a very significant percentage of people receiving SNAP benefits are elderly, physically disabled or have a developmental disability.
Yup. And ZERO issue with that too.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think most schools now offer breakfast, and some even offer dinner

Four Manatee County Schools now offer students dinner | Education | Bradenton Herald

And of course this is in addition to things like boys/girls club, where some parents send their kids after school (taxpayer expense of course), while the parents can pocket all of the food stamps for themself.
I heard about this on the news.

Tons of former construction folk in that area ( heck, the state) who cannot secure anything beyond a patchwork of part time seasonal jobs, if they are lucky. According to the report, the school buses make daily stops at area motels to pick up the kids. A kitchen = hot plate and cooler.

The story did not get into SNAP vs 3 squares a day at school.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I have a better idea. Thats just a drop in the bucket in the $1 trillion budget deficit. Instead of cutting a measly $39 billion from food stamps, lets make some real cuts. Like $500 billion from the Pentagon Budget, and another $500 billion of Corporate welfare.

Budget deficit solved. You are welcome.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Free breakfasts have been in the NY state school systems for years. All these programs need overhauls as the ones who really need it are only hurt by the abuse. Case in point are all the millionaires who make themselves corporations and then receive the subsidies which they can obviously live without. Some of our biggest entertainers receive subsidies from the farm bill.

Your Tax Dollars Subsidizing Scottie Pippen, Ted Turner, and Jon Bon Jovi? | Fox News

I know alot don't like Fox News but they call it like it is - rich or poor.
None of these are accidental loopholes.
There's a Congressman who is one of the top longer term beneficiaries of farm aid, voting in favor of the aid. Congress does not blink at stuff like this.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I have a better idea. Thats just a drop in the bucket in the $1 trillion budget deficit. Instead of cutting a measly $39 billion from food stamps, lets make some real cuts. Like $500 billion from the Pentagon Budget, and another $500 billion of Corporate welfare.

Budget deficit solved. You are welcome.
Lol.
And how do you suggest we pay all the Service men and women? How do you suggest we pay to keep all our expensive toys up and running?

$500 billion in corporate welfare is also impossible since their simply isn't that much.

Nice try though.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The cuts are aimed at able bodied adults, not families. Keep in mind the eligibility and requirements were eased in 2002, 2008, &2009.
Cut-off that able bodied surfer dude in LA who mooches off his parents and girlfriends and buys lobster with Snap.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:38 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
$500 billion in corporate welfare is also impossible since their simply isn't that much.
I am certainly not a financial expert, but I imagine that with all the tax loopholes, access to offshore accounts, etc. that the mega-rich can utilize (I'm not talking about your average millionaire who is also getting screwed like the rest of us) this kind of corporate welfare and lost tax revenue from the top earners (most of whom don't earn through income but from investments) is at least as big a drain on our economy as things like SNAP benefits, and unlike SNAP, nobody in the mega-rich category is getting anything they truly NEED from these loopholes, etc. They are merely getting richer on the backs of We The People.

I cannot remember where I heard this little stat, nor can I verify its accuracy, but I heard back during the last POTUS election cycle that if the money Mitt Romney saved in tax loopholes just in the 2009-2010 fiscal year were translated to SNAP, he would receive enough in food stamp benefits to keep his entire family receiving them until the year 4800 or thereabouts.

(I'm not trying to demonize Romney specifically here, although I dislike him at least as much as I dislike Obama--he is just the example used in the article where I got this info.)

Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I am certainly not a financial expert, but I imagine that with all the tax loopholes, access to offshore accounts, etc. that the mega-rich can utilize (I'm not talking about your average millionaire who is also getting screwed like the rest of us) this kind of corporate welfare and lost tax revenue from the top earners (most of whom don't earn through income but from investments) is at least as big a drain on our economy as things like SNAP benefits, and unlike SNAP, nobody in the mega-rich category is getting anything they truly NEED from these loopholes, etc. They are merely getting richer on the backs of We The People.

I cannot remember where I heard this little stat, nor can I verify its accuracy, but I heard back during the last POTUS election cycle that if the money Mitt Romney saved in tax loopholes just in the 2009-2010 fiscal year were translated to SNAP, he would receive enough in food stamp benefits to keep his entire family receiving them until the year 4800 or thereabouts.

(I'm not trying to demonize Romney specifically here, although I dislike him at least as much as I dislike Obama--he is just the example used in the article where I got this info.)
Oh it's definitely there and the rich definitely benefit. Also with their overseas accounts.

What many people consider as loopholes though, is not loopholes. Many companies overseas (depending on company type) get subsidies from the govt. This is especially true for oil companies. They get subsidized by the govt for the exploration and drilling and other operations. Here in the US, the companies don't get subsidies. Their profits and tax returns pay for the exploration etc.. for the following year.

Not denying there is probably some corruption though. They do pay millions in Lobbies. GE also got busted evading taxes. But they're also a govt contractor.

Lobbying needs to be limited or eliminated.

I could be wrong, but $500 billion, is a lot of money. I just can't see the amount of corporate welfare being that high. At least I'd like to think the govt isn't that reckless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies