Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Personally don't think its a good idea to give the authorities anymore authority to surveil than is necessary.

Besides like I said before mental health is an issue for cops as well as civilians.

Nina Turner has close family members who are cops & I'm sure she understands the issue of mental health (like PTSD) for cops.

Turner has her work cut out for her in the Midwest region.

NPR: Officer's Acquittal Highlights Tense Police, Community Relations In Cleveland
I'm all for better training and psychological evaluations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 03:44 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
1)body cameras
2)body camera footage is 100% available to the public...no compromises here. no sign up sheets no waiting periods. no slick ****.
3)body camera footage is unedited
4)body camera footage is available same day.
5)send bad cops to prison just like all citizens who commit crime
6)stop making excuses for bad cops
7)cops who purposely black their body cameras or dash cams go to jail too.

edit: same for dash cams

in short, transparency. 100% transparency. This job is voluntary those who don't want to COMPLY don't have to be cops.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:49 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I believe every motorist should record any interaction with a Police officer. I'd also support remote recording of officer's interactions that records to both the Police and a citizen's controlled agency that acts as an aid to public defenders and citizens looking for evidence.
this too. it should be 100% encouraged that civilians record their interactions with police. The more footage the better. No more taking police word for things. We have the technology. What's that old saying?

"Documentation saves confrontation"...something like that.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:55 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Considering that resisting the officer justifies more force and even if you complain about it, they still keep their jobs.
I wear a blue lives matter patch, treat them with the same respect I treat everyone else with and (with the exception of speed limits) obey the law. Seems to work pretty darned well.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Don't play silly games and you won't win silly prizes.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:27 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
In court...it's easy to say. I've had a lot of cop friends who say "just do what they tell you and complain later". While I get that, I also think it shows an unwillingness for police to police themselves. The other issue I have with the "fight in court" aspect is that many people can't afford decent legal representation. So from the society side...I think strong training, continued education, dash and body cams are necessary. From the individual side (and I have dealt with jerk cops, one dangerous in my opinion), I'm at a loss. I can be polite, but I shouldn't be spoken to disrespectfully.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I wear a blue lives matter patch, treat them with the same respect I treat everyone else with and (with the exception of speed limits) obey the law. Seems to work pretty darned well.
Blue Lives Matter patches deny there is a problem. And if you haven't had an idiot cop even when being pulled over for speeding, that that's a nice little utopia you live in.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Communities have complete control over their departments...appointed chief's respond to the will of city managers.. city managers respond to city councils... City councils respond to public input...

In between there are laws.. internal investigation procedures peace officers bill of rights and many other layers of control

Thankfully for all the internet inmates spudnuts Malcontents and general anarchists they fail to realize that respect for police is at an all time high .. even higher than 9/11...

Police are taking the hit.. getting killed but doing their job in the face of a segment of society fomenting violence, like black lives matter.

I wonder how many posters on here who post their anti police rants have booking slips attached to their names..I bet quite a few.

The problem with your statement is that you are upset that police are taking a hit, but have no problem with innocent people taking a hit. While you would likely consider me "anti-police" for having concerns and thinking we can do better, I guarantee you there are no booking slips to my name.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Considering that resisting the officer justifies more force and even if you complain about it, they still keep their jobs.

An address and a sighted in scoped rifle......

Old 11-29-2016, 08:28 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Blue Lives Matter patches deny there is a problem. And if you haven't had an idiot cop even when being pulled over for speeding, that that's a nice little utopia you live in.
No, Blue Lives Matter recognizes that there IS a problem, and a big one. One involving law enforcement officers being murdered for doing their jobs. Racist hate groups such as BLM has enflamed what was already a serious problem. As has a divisive president and an administration filled with "race baiters". I guess I do live in a "utopia". It's called the real world. You should try it-not the little myopic, silly view that "police brutality" is a bigger issue than violent criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies