Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
2. There is no evidence that CO2 emissions, despite the rants of liberals, do anything deleterious to the environment. We already have bans on high sulpher coal, which does create sulpheric acid.
I would have thought that a medical doctor would know about the poisonous effects of mercury, which is emitted when coal is burned.

But then I would expect a medical doctor to also know the proper spelling of the word 'sulfur' (or as the British spell it, 'sulphur').

Last edited by djmilf; 09-20-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If there isn't a war on coal, there should be. It is a dirty fuel that not only is the worst for greenhouse gas emissions, it is a prime cause of serious health problems. Mining it is also is an ecological disaster. Replacing it with other forms of energy, particularly renewable energy, should be a national goal.

But, we know that coal lobbyists are very powerful and carry large suitcases full of cash. Thus, nothing will happen.
You can also thank your ISP Lobby ... if it weren't for coal, the internet wouldn't be what it is today.

Quote:
“This is an industry dirty secret, and no one wants to be the first to say mea culpa,” said a senior industry executive who asked not to be identified to protect his company’s reputation. “If we were a manufacturing industry, we’d be out of business straightaway.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/te...mage.html?_r=0

Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Natural gas is not cheaper than coal other than the new regulations on CO2 and the honeymoon is over.
There really isn't a honeymoon. Natural gas is just a better option and the effects of natural gas on humans and the environment is less destructive than coal.

4 Reasons Coal Declines Even As Natural Gas Prices Rise: EIA - Forbes

Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
You can also thank your ISP Lobby ... if it weren't for coal, the internet wouldn't be what it is today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/te...mage.html?_r=0
From your own link:

Quote:
Most data centers, by design, consume vast amounts of energy in an incongruously wasteful manner, interviews and documents show. Online companies typically run their facilities at maximum capacity around the clock, whatever the demand. As a result, data centers can waste 90 percent or more of the electricity they pull off the grid, The Times found.
Which means if electricity wasn't so dirt cheap, data centers would have an incentive to run the equipment in a way that didn't waste 90% of the power.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I would have thought that a medical doctor would know about the poisonous effects of mercury, which is emitted when coal is burned.

But then I would expect a medical doctor to also know the proper spelling of the word 'sulfur' (or as the British spell it, 'sulphur').

Hilarious-

Obsession with spelling errors- it is a universal characteristic of liberals, which allows them to express thier "intellectual superiority" through the mundane. When one lacks true academic credentials and achievements, one can find the safe refuge of "spelling" to demonstrate one's "brilliance".

I commit spelling errors all the time. Why? I dictate any real documents and have our transcriptionists/secretaries type them up. Why? Such tasks are menial and I have better ways to spend my time.

If you ever want to match IQ points or education, let me know. Until then, I bow to your superior mastery of spelling. I am sure that skill has allowed you to achieve great things in your life and command a seven figure salary!

PS- My undergrad degree was in Chem-E and achieved straight A's. I am wondering why in the world my instructers were more concerned with my knowledge base and problem solving than spelling? I guess my former profs (most are dead) failed me terribly in life!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From your own link:

Which means if electricity wasn't so dirt cheap, data centers would have an incentive to run the equipment in a way that didn't waste 90% of the power.
I've got 32 computers here at my house and while I confess I do waste a lot of power, maybe you can help me figure out how to run my computers on less power..

I'm prettty sure if I unplug them, they shut off, but MTA has some newfound technology to share.. Please do..

Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Hilarious-

Obsession with spelling errors- it is a universal characteristic of liberals, which allows them to express thier "intellectual superiority" through the mundane. When one lacks true academic credentials and achievements, one can find the safe refuge of "spelling" to demonstrate one's "brilliance".
Yet you didn't address the point about mercury being released when coal is burned...you simply revert to name-calling.

This indicates to all that you cannot refute my point.

Quote:
I commit spelling errors all the time. Why? I dictate any real documents and have our transcriptionists/secretaries type them up. Why? Such tasks are menial and I have better ways to spend my time.
Apparently, one of your better ways to spend your time is posting conservative spam to internet forums.

Quote:
If you ever want to match IQ points or education, let me know. Until then, I bow to your superior mastery of spelling. I am sure that skill has allowed you to achieve great things in your life and command a seven figure salary!

PS- My undergrad degree was in Chem-E and achieved straight A's. I am wondering why in the world my instructers were more concerned with my knowledge base and problem solving than spelling? I guess my former profs (most are dead) failed me terribly in life!
Here's the point, "Doctor"....bragging about your IQ or your education or your medical practice is meaningless useless until you're willing to post your name, address, work history, and the titles of the twenty-odd scientific papers that you've claimed to have published.

Until then, you're just a guy with an internet connection posting other people's right wing talking points.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Hilarious-

Who checks your prescriptions? A spelling error could easily kill somebody.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Mercury is global issue and mercury from US coal plants account for 1% of the global pool, By EPA estimates very little of is deposited in US waters. You could argue becsue of increased power rates that will encourage more offshore manufacturing dropping mercury emissions here in the US could in fact increase deposition rates here in the US.
Quote:
Fact Sheet - Final Rule | Clean Air Mercury Rule | US EPA
  • Mercury emitted from coal-fired power plants comes from mercury in coal, which is released when the coal is burned. While coal-fired power plants are the largest remaining source of human-generated mercury emissions in the United States, they contribute very little to the global mercury pool. Recent estimates of annual total global mercury emissions from all sources -- both natural and human-generated -- range from roughly 4,400 to 7,500 tons per year. Human-caused U.S. mercury emissions are estimated to account for roughly 3 percent of the global total, and U.S. coal-fired power plants are estimated to account for only about 1 percent.
  • EPA has conducted extensive analyses on mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants and subsequent regional patterns of deposition to U.S. waters. Those analyses conclude that regional transport of mercury emission from coal-fired power plants in the U.S. is responsible for very little of the mercury in U.S. waters. That small contribution will be significantly reduced after EPA’s Clean Air Interstate Rule and Clean Air Mercury Rule are implemented.
    • U.S. coal-fired power plants emit mercury in three different forms: oxidized mercury (likely to deposit within the U.S.); elemental mercury, which travels hundreds and thousands of miles before depositing to land and water; and mercury that is in particulate form.
    • Because mercury can be transported thousands of miles in the atmosphere, and because many types of fish are caught and sold globally, effective exposure reduction will require reductions in global emissions.
The new mercury standards that closed many older coal plants will lower deposition rates in the US an estimated 1% to 10% and could increase the average IQ 1/2000 of one point.

Yeaaaaaaaaaa Team!

Quote:
Economic Valuation of Human Health Benefits of Controlling Mercury Emissions from U.S. Coal-Fired Power Plants

Changes in mercury deposition rates associated with reductions in power plant
mercury emissions are based on regional deposition modeling results from the EPA's
analysis of the Clear Skies Initiative. In its analysis, the EPA simulated current mercury
deposition rates and the changes in these rates that would result if power plants
reduced their mercury emissions from the current rate of 49 tons per year to either 26 or
15 tons per year. We used these predictions to estimate changes in deposition rates for
the freshwater regions, the Atlantic Coastal Region, and the Gulf of Mexico. Estimated
decreases range from approximately 1% to 10%.
The change in deposition rates to the
All Other Waters region is assumed to be proportional to the change in total global
emissions that would result from U.S. power plant emissions reductions, which is less
than 1%.
Quote:
Regulatory Impact Analysis for the Final Mercury and Air Toxics Standards

The average effect on individual avoided IQ loss in 2016 is 0.00209 IQ points, with total nationwide benefits estimated between $0.5 and $6.1 million.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:

Most libs just want to whine. They want cheap energy, but comlain about the
only source of cheap energy we have. Further, they oppose the alternatives to
that cheap energy. Now what in the hell is the nation supposed to do? I, for
one, like electricity, heat, and air conditioning. Should we all live in tents,
burn dung and wood, and deforest the nation?
It's always "either or" with you guys. Either you create and consume energy irresponsibly, or demand people live in tents and burn dung. Ever hear of a happy medium, such as reducing, reusing and recycling? We've made great strides in using biofuels made from garbage, and we power our buses with old French fry grease. Composting heats greenhouses and faeces powers zoos. Hell, we're even using tidal power! Every little bit helps, but you insist we live in caves if we don't like filthy coal.
Furthermore, I happen to like Hydro, and it powers my entire province. Nice of you to paint everyone with a giant brush. Do you do that with your patients, too? Mrs. L doesn't follow her diabetes diet, therefore none of my patients do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies