Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:07 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,284,799 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,284,799 times
That's a "cage" at the Montreal Biodome. I should be so lucky.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 PM

25,791 posts, read 16,434,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not all zoos are what you describe. In many cases zoos take rescues. Animals that can not survive in the wild.
If I was an animal, especially a Siberian Tiger I would rather be extinct than be held as an exhibit for idiots with their children to galk at me.

Please, don't use excuses like protecting endangered species to justify putting animals on display for human amusement. What an idiotic angle. If Mother Nature selects them for extinction, let it happen. Another species will eventually spring up and take their place.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If I was an animal, especially a Siberian Tiger I would rather be extinct than be held as an exhibit for idiots with their children to galk at me.

Please, don't use excuses like protecting endangered species to justify putting animals on display for human amusement. What an idiotic angle. If Mother Nature selects them for extinction, let it happen. Another species will eventually spring up and take their place.
You can't always blame mother nature. You can't deny that man has hunted certain animals to extinction.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM

41,830 posts, read 74,888,459 times
Education. Preservation of the species. Wonderment of creation.

If you think zoo animals are kept in cages, you haven't been to a zoo lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You obviously don't have little kids.
Or big kids.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 PM

25,791 posts, read 16,434,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You can't always blame mother nature. You can't deny that man has hunted certain animals to extinction.
Isn't mankind part of nature?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,899,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The purpose is to make these animals real to people. Unless they are real people do not care nearly as much what happens to them.

Zoo's have been doing a pretty good job in trying to make the animals surroundings more realistic which is a good thing but few would care about what happens to some black and white bear in China. Let them see first hand one of these animals and they have more of an attachment to them.

As weltschmerz notes without Zoo's there likely would be more animals extinct if not for what they are doing.
This is probably true......I saw a coyote pup out in the wild the other day and now my idea of coyote's has changed. He was dang cute!!! Watched him romp just like a pup (dog) he stood and yawned gave me quite the show.

I just made the ranchers hate me.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:05 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Isn't mankind part of nature?
Man is not mother nature.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:05 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,899,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Still doing it and abusing them for the Mighty Dollar......people can be the earths worst enemy!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,431,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Think that zoos are anachronistic menageries which lock up animals purely for human entertainment? The truth is that good zoos are more important today than they've ever been before.
How zoos are saving our animals – Features – ABC Environment (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

All these animals have one thing in common. They are all in danger of disappearing in their natural habitat, and zoos are trying to help save them.
Zoos across the country are changing these days. They aren't just places to see wild animals in cages anymore. Zoos are working harder than ever to save endangered animals around the world.
Scholastic News: Endangered Species

Google is your friend, and yes, people still go to zoos. My son and his girlfriend went to Parc Safari last week.
Now go to the alligator section and watch the alligators eat the rats.
so sad seeing those helpless rats running around trying to stay alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies