Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The risks are too high.
Agreed, having your investment confiscated by the state is certainly a significant risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...and there isn't going to be an oil company in the world willing to put any money into that country.
Excuse me!!!!!! The Chinese just invested 14 billion dollars in one single project. The Russians are straining to get into the market there in a big way also. Your statement should say, There isn't going to be a US oil firm willing to put any money into that country.

The Chinese are also pumping many Billions into various mining projects around the country, especially gold mining. I'm sure the Leadership of the country does not give a rats azz that the USA is getting frozen out of future developments. History shows them the political price is just too high.
You should well recognize that after two centuries this is the beginning of the end of the Monroe doctrine.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Excuse me!!!!!! The Chinese just invested 14 billion dollars in one single project. The Russians are straining to get into the market there in a big way also. Your statement should say, There isn't going to be a US oil firm willing to put any money into that country.
That's because they don't get the backing of the state if they screw up.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
In all of the supply managed sectors of the Canadian economy we have SURPLUSES. In fact if the supply management was to stop it would lead to such surpluses causing price collapse and the bankrupting of the producers. Your statement is bunk!
So you confess that free markets would create surpluses and cheaper prices, and thats a bad thing to you

I bet Venezuela wishes there was a free market for toilet paper.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
China gets oil and raw resources in return for "loaning" them money.
US companies do not operate that way.

China also loaned them additional money and they agreed to let China mine for gold.

It's all about "money" with Venezuela..they need money to fund their domestic programs.
China is not doing anything that will help Venezuela. China is giving them money and in return depletes their resources.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you confess that free markets would create surpluses and cheaper prices, and thats a bad thing to you

I bet Venezuela wishes there was a free market for toilet paper.
Surpluses can be a very bad thing for different reasons. It's a bad thing for the industry or sector as a whole. Prices drop, firms go bankrupt, people lose their jobs, investors get burnt and there is just a general instability in the market. The consumer enjoys a short term gain in a lower price for the moment.

We can take a look at the differences in the US free market dairy business and the completely supply managed Canadian model. The one and only benefit the American model has over the Canadian is a slight consumer price advantage. On the other hand the Canadian model promotes stability and guarantees a fair return on investment for the hard working small family farmer. In the USA there will be no small family dairy farmer in the future but the industry will be completely dominated by large agra corporations.

I could drive 5 minutes over the border and buy my dairy products at a lower price but I never do for a few reasons. Quality, The Canadian dairy products are way superior with no growth hormones, antibiotics or additives. That is a direct function of a supply managed product. A producer does not need a competitive advantage over the other producers.

My personal support for the family farm. I don't want all of my food to be produced by big corporations for many reasons.

Stability of the industry, All the jobs and people who work within the industry are very secure in their jobs. There are no large disruptions due to over or under production. That goes for the cows also. We are not slaughtering dairy animals because of excess supply.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 PM

I've been to Canada, its never taken 5 minutes to cross the border..

As for the surpluses, nope.. never a bad thing, companies do go bankrupt, which is why investors dont invest in companies that will produce surpluses usually..

Old 09-21-2013, 12:39 PM

I have left my house, crossed the river fueled up my car and driven home in less then 20 minutes. If I used the nexus only bridge I could do it in 10 minutes every time.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I've been to Canada, its never taken 5 minutes to cross the border..

As for the surpluses, nope.. never a bad thing, companies do go bankrupt, which is why investors dont invest in companies that will produce surpluses usually..
If that were true we would not have the constant boom and bust economy we have had for two centuries.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
If that were true we would not have the constant boom and bust economy we have had for two centuries.
We havent had any problem obtaining toilet paper either

Economic cycles have taken place for decades, and even in nations with strict controls. You need to study a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies