U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 12:44 PM

69,360 posts, read 58,127,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I have left my house, crossed the river fueled up my car and driven home in less then 20 minutes. If I used the nexus only bridge I could do it in 10 minutes every time.
So you'll cross the bridge for gas, but not for milk?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 01:00 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you'll cross the bridge for gas, but not for milk?
It's freakin Canadian gas being sold in the USA!!!! There are lots of things I will buy in the USA, For example I would buy a bag of oranges if there was a big price difference but usually there is not.
I don't buy any American meats or dairy products period. Even US meat for sale in a Canadian store I will not purchase. I buy from a local producer only. Grass fed beef.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:15 PM

13,823 posts, read 6,611,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You should read a bit more on what's happening in Venezuela due to strict price controls for "social justice".
People spend days searching doing their shopping because of shortages.

Venezuela is certainly on the road to a "more just society". The rich as well as the poor have to wait on line for food.
Equality for all - it's only "fair".
The Government Elite ruling class will make sure that the social justice stays fair for those they rule over. I doubt Americans are going to be thrilled when the Just Society makes it "fair" for everyone to stand in the que for Toilet Paper as our poster from Ontario claims.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:41 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,282,946 times
Quote:
Excuse me!!!!!! The Chinese just invested 14 billion dollars in one single project.

That's interesting, the question becomes is why are the Chinese using Exxon?

Exxon Mobil inaugurates Chinese refinery - UPI.com

Old 09-21-2013, 02:24 PM

69,360 posts, read 58,127,898 times
Quote:
It's freakin Canadian gas being sold in the USA!!!! There are lots of things I will buy in the USA, For example I would buy a bag of oranges if there was a big price difference but usually there is not.
I don't buy any American meats or dairy products period. Even US meat for sale in a Canadian store I will not purchase. I buy from a local producer only. Grass fed beef.
So we buy your oil, and sell it here cheaper than you can buy it there, and somehow, thats a problem to you? I'd be questioning why it isnt cheaper there since you'd obviously have to mark it up to sell it to us..

Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 PM

54,744 posts, read 38,144,917 times
Quote:
Excuse me!!!!!! The Chinese just invested 14 billion dollars in one single project. The Russians are straining to get into the market there in a big way also. Your statement should say, There isn't going to be a US oil firm willing to put any money into that country.

The Chinese are also pumping many Billions into various mining projects around the country, especially gold mining. I'm sure the Leadership of the country does not give a rats azz that the USA is getting frozen out of future developments. History shows them the political price is just too high.
You should well recognize that after two centuries this is the beginning of the end of the Monroe doctrine.
Venezuela is one out of four top foreign suppliers of oil to the U.S.

The U.S. is Venezuela's most important trading partner. U.S. exports to Venezuela include machinery, organic chemicals, agricultural products, optical and medical instruments, autos and auto parts.

The collapse of oil prices in the 80's caused a severe contraction of the economy. Inflation peaked at 99% before Chavez was elected. Annual inflation is currently 30%+/-.

Some blame the TP and other shortages on social policies. Others blame the shortages on hoarding and speculation. TP futures, anyone? Truth is likely a mixed bag.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:04 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,208,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Venezuela is one out of four top foreign suppliers of oil to the U.S.

The U.S. is Venezuela's most important trading partner. U.S. exports to Venezuela include machinery, organic chemicals, agricultural products, optical and medical instruments, autos and auto parts.

The collapse of oil prices in the 80's caused a severe contraction of the economy. Inflation peaked at 99% before Chavez was elected. Annual inflation is currently 30%+/-.

Some blame the TP and other shortages on social policies. Others blame the shortages on hoarding and speculation. TP futures, anyone? Truth is likely a mixed bag.
speculation on toilet paper ?

Due to strict price controls, production is not at its peak in many areas.
Companies are forced to operate at a loss.
How long can this go on ?

Old 09-21-2013, 03:19 PM

20,301 posts, read 20,242,213 times
I work in a factory that makes toilet paper . 1 converter can produce right around 750,000 rolls of toilet paper in a day no problem. 1 has to assume they have more than 1 individual converting line in their factory. One of our converters will on average produce 525 rolls a minute.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:20 PM

54,744 posts, read 38,144,917 times
And on a lighter note, Kirkland brand TP is the #1 selling product at Costco. Who knew?

Old 03-24-2020, 07:04 PM

973 posts, read 904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Strict price controls led to a toilet paper shortage in this country.
The government had to spend $79 million to import TP last July.
So the government has taken it over temporarily to insure people's "rights" to toilet paper
The country has shortages of everything due to price controls but running out of TP floated to the top of their priority list.

Is this where the US is heading with the demands on our government to fix all that is wrong in America ?
The blame is placed on the merchants for "hoarding" and being "greedy"
I'd rather see something like that happen here, except I realize in this case it isn't the merchants' fault, it's the selfish idiots. As tempting as it is to make light of this and tell people to stop whining about TP, the lack of it can have definite public health and quality of life impacts which we don't need to have added to the situation we're all in right now. Already, there are cases of raw sewage backing up out of manholes into city streets, because people in need of TP have been flushing substitutes that aren't supposed to be flushed--in some cases even old T-shirt cloth. This obviously can affect neighboring homes as well, and if you live in an apartment building, forget it! The government may have to do something radical about this as a public health necessity.

I read that in the first days of the panic, (a relatively few) consumers bought more than twice the total amount of toilet paper that would normally be sold. From what I've heard elsewhere, the manufacturers typically work near capacity all the time, so filling this "gap" in the supply line is difficult. Unless and until shoppers see that the TP aisle is fully stocked all day and every day, like it used to be before this all started, panic buying and shortages will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies