U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,164,639 times
Reputation: 27635

Advertisements

Strict price controls led to a toilet paper shortage in this country.
The government had to spend $79 million to import TP last July.
So the government has taken it over temporarily to insure people's "rights" to toilet paper
The country has shortages of everything due to price controls but running out of TP floated to the top of their priority list.

Is this where the US is heading with the demands on our government to fix all that is wrong in America ?
The blame is placed on the merchants for "hoarding" and being "greedy"

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines
A Venezuelan state agency on Friday ordered the temporary takeover of a factory that produces toilet paper in what it called an effort to ensure consistent supplies after embarrassing shortages earlier this year.
..
"The action in the producer of toilet paper, sanitary napkins and disposable diapers responds to the state's obligation to ensure a steady supply of basic goods for the people," Sundecop said, adding it had observed "the violation of the right" to access such products.
..
Government supporters laud efforts by Maduro, the successor to late socialist leader Hugo Chavez, for maintaining tough regulations of private businesses.
They blame unscrupulous merchants for hoarding products to make quick profits, and celebrate the socialist government's legacy of social assistance programs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,018 posts, read 11,169,170 times
Reputation: 8932
Well, I guess you would just have to ask the people of that country if they would like to return to the to the laissez- faire system of the past. They most certainly wouldn't and they won't. A few bumps on the road to a more just society will not deter a social revolution that aims to make the people sovereign, not the corporations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 AM
 
19,786 posts, read 21,227,329 times
Reputation: 8902
Lets see if they can get more toilet paper under socialist regime...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,018 posts, read 11,169,170 times
Reputation: 8932
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Lets see if they can get more toilet paper under socialist regime...
Well the facts of the matter are that in the past under the former regimes they didn't get ANYTHING.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,164,639 times
Reputation: 27635
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, I guess you would just have to ask the people of that country if they would like to return to the to the laissez- faire system of the past. They most certainly wouldn't and they won't. A few bumps on the road to a more just society will not deter a social revolution that aims to make the people sovereign, not the corporations.
You should read a bit more on what's happening in Venezuela due to strict price controls for "social justice".
People spend days searching doing their shopping because of shortages.

Sure that package of noodles might be cheap enough to buy but you might spend 5 days hunting it down.
And workers are sometimes only working 1/2 day due to currency controls..the companies can't pay them for working over so many hours.

Venezuela is certainly on the road to a "more just society". The rich as well as the poor have to wait on line for food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/21/wo...pagewanted=all
Some residents arrange their calendars around the once-a-week deliveries made to government-subsidized stores like this one, lining up before dawn to buy a single frozen chicken before the stock runs out. Or a couple of bags of flour. Or a bottle of cooking oil.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 09:02 AM
 
41,823 posts, read 44,207,316 times
Reputation: 17728
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, I guess you would just have to ask the people of that country if they would like to return to the to the laissez- faire system of the past. They most certainly wouldn't and they won't. A few bumps on the road to a more just society will not deter a social revolution that aims to make the people sovereign, not the corporations.
When you are an oil rich nation where the oil industry has accrued massive debts, has declining production, increases environmental issues and increased accidents becsue of crumbling infrastructure originally built by private industry.... and then can't keep food or even toilet paper on the shelves... you may want to reconsider the path you have taken.

On the bright side you can buy gasoline for a few cents a gallon but you can't eat or wipe your ass with gasoline.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 AM
 
41,823 posts, read 44,207,316 times
Reputation: 17728
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Venezuela is certainly on the road to a "more just society". The rich as well as the poor have to wait on line for food.
To quote Margaret Thatcher:
Quote:
“What the honorable member is saying is that he would rather that the poor were poorer, provided that the rich were less rich,”
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 AM
 
41,823 posts, read 44,207,316 times
Reputation: 17728
Chavez was elected in 1998:



Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,018 posts, read 11,169,170 times
Reputation: 8932
Even with the "Bumps on the road" to a more just society, the average person in the country lives immeasurably better than the people did in the past. It's just the almost unalterable law of history that the move toward a more socially progressive society pays HUGE dividends for the average man. You Americans better get used to it because the entire Continent of South America is headed in that direction in a hurry.

It's one of the most damning facts about American foreign policy post WW2 that the USA has opposed social progress everywhere in the world where it has appeared. More than opposed but actually participated in the overthrow of elected governments and the supporting of murdering tyrants like Pinochet, the Samosas and basically any right wing dictator anywhere anytime. Now this foreign policy has been a total failure all around. Take for example the fight against the Sandinistas. American support of the contras is directly responsible for up to 200,000 murdered men, women and children and YET, who governs today? The Sandinistas do. How about Vietnam? Same thing, same fight. The people of Vietnam just wanted to be free to chart there own destiny but the USA decided that the neocolonial system and regime they had they MUST retain. You would think the USA would learn a lesson or two after losing that one and being left with a huge black eye and egg all over the face, but no, the attempts to conform other countries to the image of what Washington wants just goes on and on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,164,639 times
Reputation: 27635
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Even with the "Bumps on the road" to a more just society, the average person in the country lives immeasurably better than the people did in the past. It's just the almost unalterable law of history that the move toward a more socially progressive society pays HUGE dividends for the average man. You Americans better get used to it because the entire Continent of South America is headed in that direction in a hurry.

It's one of the most damning facts about American foreign policy post WW2 that the USA has opposed social progress everywhere in the world where it has appeared. More than opposed but actually participated in the overthrow of elected governments and the supporting of murdering tyrants like Pinochet, the Samosas and basically any right wing dictator anywhere anytime. Now this foreign policy has been a total failure all around. Take for example the fight against the Sandinistas. American support of the contras is directly responsible for up to 200,000 murdered men, women and children and YET, who governs today? The Sandinistas do. How about Vietnam? Same thing, same fight. The people of Vietnam just wanted to be free to chart there own destiny but the USA decided that the neocolonial system and regime they had they MUST retain. You would think the USA would learn a lesson or two after losing that one and being left with a huge black eye and egg all over the face, but no, the attempts to conform other countries to the image of what Washington wants just goes on and on.
Not many people aspire their country turn into a model after Venezuela.
That everyone be poor and dependent on the government to provide the bare essentials in weekly spurts ?
You wish that on your own country or just the US ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top