Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:57 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times

Advertisements

Last night I attended a gathering at a friend's house with a considerable number of other 20 somethings. Since there have been a number of high profile rapes of women here on Long Island and in Queens & Brooklyn lately the topic came up. Several of the women at the party made statements along the lines of "I go to the gym x days a week and I can take on any man" or "I would like to see that creep try to come after me". Now several of these girls are in very good shape for a 20 something woman but I highly doubt they are equal to an in shape guy of the same age. One of them is an aspiring "fitness/figure" competitor she is pretty strong ... for a girl but nowhere near as strong as some of the guys that where at the party. I know several guys there who can bench press well over 200lbs vs the 150ishlbs that this girl can do, and very, very, very few women can bench press anything close to 150.

Where did this come from? Is it a result of the feminist movement's "I am a woman hear me roar"? A man will always be able to overpower a woman .... period, end of discussion. Even a guy that has never worked out is probably stronger than a woman who regularly works out. Women will never be able to equal men in terms of physical strength, endurance, etc.

This is not male chauvinism ... it's common sense.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:10 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,520 times
Perhaps thinking that way is what enables these women to freely move about the world. If they acknowledged the fact that they could be easily overpowered and harmed it might reduce their feeling of freedom or influence them to change the way they live.

I am personally hyper-aware that a man could overpower me. It seriously impacts how I live my life.

OP - If the women at the gathering had bragged about their weapons training instead of their gym training would you have been more impressed and assured of their ability to defend themselves against male attackers?

Old 09-21-2013, 02:36 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
One of them is an aspiring "fitness/figure" competitor she is pretty strong ... for a girl but nowhere near as strong as some of the guys that where at the party. I know several guys there who can bench press well over 200lbs vs the 150ishlbs that this girl can do, and very, very, very few women can bench press anything close to 150.

Where did this come from? Is it a result of the feminist movement's "I am a woman hear me roar"? A man will always be able to overpower a woman .... period, end of discussion. Even a guy that has never worked out is probably stronger than a woman who regularly works out. Women will never be able to equal men in terms of physical strength, endurance, etc.
Where's the Great Debate question? Honestly, this sounds like it might be great debate material for a bunch of 8 year-old kids ("You're just a girl and you can't be as strong as me!"), but it could be that they were just trying to get your goat ( given some of your obvious concerns about the "feminist movement") because very few women want a man's physical strength. In fact, some women have to be reassured that weight training will not cause them to develop bulging muscles.

With very rare exception, women simply don't admire the same physical attributes for themselves that they seek in men. For example, some women think that bald men are sexy. I doubt they would seek baldness for themselves.

They really got to you, didn't they; enough for you to run-off and complain on C-D?

Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Short of showing them that they are wrong with a quick demonstration theres nothing you can do. I hope they dont have to find out. Guys talk tish all the time about what they would do if so and so does this and so and so does that. Same thing.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,520 times
Another aspect of this phenomenon is the concept of ‘pumping yourself up’ before a fight. If these women recognize the distinct possibility that they might be attacked one day, perhaps their attitude might be the best approach. They are prepared to put up one hell of a fight, and this alone can deter some attackers who want an easy target.

Consider a sports team before a game against a team with a superior record. You might hear locker room talk similar to what these ladies were saying. If you go into the game with an already-defeated attitude, you're setting yourself up to lose. But if you pump yourself up at least you have a fighting chance.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Now several of these girls are in very good shape for a 20 something woman but I highly doubt they are equal to an in shape guy of the same age. One of them is an aspiring "fitness/figure" competitor she is pretty strong ... for a girl but nowhere near as strong as some of the guys that where at the party.
Strength alone isn't a reliable indicator of who will come out on top in a confrontation, as Mark Twain put it “It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” Even the biggest strongest man has soft tissue areas that don't take a lot of strength to cause debilitating pain. Gouged eyes, crushed larynx, not to mention the ubiquitous punch or grab of the testicles can bring any man to his knees. Not that doesn't mean that these women would prevail in every encounter with any man but having been brutalized by a female sensei for five years, I tend not to underestimate anyone.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Strength alone isn't a reliable indicator of who will come out on top in a confrontation, as Mark Twain put it “It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” Even the biggest strongest man has soft tissue areas that don't take a lot of strength to cause debilitating pain. Gouged eyes, crushed larynx, not to mention the ubiquitous punch or grab of the testicles can bring any man to his knees. Not that doesn't mean that these women would prevail in every encounter with any man but having been brutalized by a female sensei for five years, I tend not to underestimate anyone.
Tell it to the guy strung out on PCP.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,415 times
Quote:
Last night I attended a gathering at a friend's house with a considerable number of other 20 somethings. Since there have been a number of high profile rapes of women here on Long Island and in Queens & Brooklyn lately the topic came up. Several of the women at the party made statements along the lines of "I go to the gym x days a week and I can take on any man" or "I would like to see that creep try to come after me". Now several of these girls are in very good shape for a 20 something woman but I highly doubt they are equal to an in shape guy of the same age. One of them is an aspiring "fitness/figure" competitor she is pretty strong ... for a girl but nowhere near as strong as some of the guys that where at the party. I know several guys there who can bench press well over 200lbs vs the 150ishlbs that this girl can do, and very, very, very few women can bench press anything close to 150.

This is not male chauvinism ... it's common sense.
I'm guessing these women are still very careful to avoid dangerous situations, they aren't going out looking for a fight with a man, and are just joking around at a party. In general it's a good attitude to have, it has been shown that women who express strength and confidence when they are out in public are much less likely to be victims of violent crime. Men wanting to attack women look for weakness, meekness and distraction, so moving about with confidence in one's strength, and always being aware are good ideas for all women.

I don't agree with the bolded. A man will not ALWAYS be able to overpower a woman, many women have escaped attempted attacks through defense training, and using intelligence to outwit an attacker. There is more to overpowering someone than just brute strength. There are definitely women who are well trained in martial arts who can take down an average man, and an in shape women has a very good chance at escape. In general women have smaller muscles, so less strength than men, but that is not true of endurance.

Last edited by detshen; 09-21-2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 06:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
I wonder about women like that...if they fight back, will they get hurt more, or would a wuss rapist run, looking for easier prey? Flat out, I am no fighter. However, my daughter grew up with three brothers, she is tough. And has no issues about fighting back. She is strong too. Impressive upper body strength for a woman.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:03 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Even a guy that has never worked out is probably stronger than a woman who regularly works out.
Eh...No. I can use myself as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.