Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It would have been a lot cheaper to simply drill for our own oil. .
You're certainly correct about that but otherwise impossible. Can you say ANWR, California, New England, Gulf of Mexico Deepwater.

These are areas that are forbidden to drill by either congress or individual states and have been that way for decades. Wanna guess who's preventing the privilege?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:39 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,151 times
Quote:
I dont believe that Bush lied. I believe he acted upon the evidence given to him by a plethura of sources. MI-6 the CIA NSA Israel etc.
Saddam at one time used WMD's. He refused to cooperate with inspectors, and Iraq was a training ground for terrorists. Add them up and its not hard to conclude that Iraq was a threat.
Also add in the fact that the previous administrations weak responces to terrorist attacks led to more attacks and eventually to 911. Add to that the people wanted action. In short they wanted somebody's ass on a platter. People can cry about the war all they want today. They can say its about religion. But after 911 not many trusted a thing any Muslem had to say and the vast majority of americans wanted Saddams butt kicked once and for all. We all wanted to believe that the Iraqi's once they tasted freedom would thrive on it. We all under estimated irans influence, as well as the radical influence of the region.
The same information Congress had when they approved the military action. The same Congress that marched lock step with our military into Iraq, took a deep breath, turned coat and bailed.

Congress backed out and left our troops in the lurch.

Congress backed out and left our troops in the lurch.

Turn coats. Benedict Arnolds.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,621 times
Quote:
I dont believe that Bush lied. I believe he acted upon the evidence given to him by a plethura of sources. MI-6 the CIA NSA Israel etc.
Saddam at one time used WMD's. He refused to cooperate with inspectors, and Iraq was a training ground for terrorists. Add them up and its not hard to conclude that Iraq was a threat.

Which terrorists were being trained in Iraq while Hussein was ruling?

Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Also add in the fact that the previous administrations weak responces to terrorist attacks led to more attacks and eventually to 911. Add to that the people wanted action. In short they wanted somebody's ass on a platter.

This is all bogus nonsense. The perps of the Khobar Towers terrorist bombing were arrested and executed in Saudi Arabia, by Saudi Arabia. This somehow made 9/11 inevitable? Guffaw!

Saying that most Americans wanted to see Iraq invaded is also bogus. Remember, Dubya did it on a 'preemptive' basis. Well, that was about his third reason for invading ...

Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,433,497 times
ParkTwain - which terrorists? - for example, Abu Abbas (Achille Lauro terrorist) was 'protected' by Saddam.

Quote:
Abbas, the leader of the Palestine Liberation Front during the 1980's and 90's, has been living in Baghdad under the protection of Saddam Hussein's government.
Online NewsHour Update: Palestinian Terrorist Captured in Baghdad -- April 16, 2003

Old 11-17-2007, 11:15 PM

training, we said, training

Old 11-18-2007, 12:33 AM

294 posts, read 437,398 times
Quote:
Smackie I agree with most of what you say.
By no friendlies I mis spoke. I meant that the friendlies are a silent majority. Because they are nonviolent, unarmed they are slow to risk their lives and those of their families. As a result they are neutralized.
Many that I met years ago wanted relief from thier Gov. But not many were willing to do anything about it either.
Its hard to help those who aren't willing to help themselves.
In short I am against nation building. Its expensive and results are questionable at best.

well seems we agree more then i thought initially.

only thing i disagree with is outlined below

i am not a fan of nation building either but i think in these circumstances its part of what we have to do....

Old 11-18-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
This is all bogus nonsense. The perps of the Khobar Towers terrorist bombing were arrested and executed in Saudi Arabia, by Saudi Arabia. This somehow made 9/11 inevitable? Guffaw!

i thought saudi arabia was a bunch of bad guys too? what about yemen (uss cole), somolia, first WTC etc etc.

Saying that most Americans wanted to see Iraq invaded is also bogus.

to you maybe, but we can agree not to make assumptions about everyone else.

Remember, Dubya did it on a 'preemptive' basis. Well, that was about his third reason for invading ...
i guess you had an in and know the secrets as to why he really did it huh?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Which terrorists were being trained in Iraq while Hussein was ruling?
al ansar (spelling again) al quada, and misc others...

Old 11-18-2007, 02:43 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
I see the FOX News hysteria machine still works on some. Want to stop Islamic terror? Let's start with Saudi Arabia, oh wait they're Bush's friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies