Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
I'm sorry, but the idea of a giant fence is just not a good idea... I can only imagine the prospective illegals laughing about it now. Meanwhile, us Americans are going to have to pay the thing.
Which will still be cheaper than paying for schooling, health care, food stamps, etc of the illegals that cross the border. It will even be putting Americans to work, just think of a those union jobs the liberals love.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
OK... Here we go... A mexican national needs a passport to visit the US and a VISA to work in the US.. If I go to mexico to work, I need a Visa. If I go to visit, I need a passport.. It is extremely difficult for mexican nationals to obtain either, due to the cost requirements. That is why they enter illegally and they don't use the international bridges to do it.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:08 PM

688 posts, read 652,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Then why is Mexico building a border fence along its southern border with Guatemala?
It's a third of the size, for one. But, more than likely, they're making a mistake.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It's a third of the size, for one. But, more than likely, they're making a mistake.
The US has a GDP 15 times higher than Mexico, shouldn't be a problem to build a fence.

Plus think of the savings in the reduced drug trade across the border.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Unbelievable..

Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 PM

688 posts, read 652,392 times
Quote:
The US has a GDP 15 times higher than Mexico, shouldn't be a problem to build a fence.

Fifteen times GDP doesn't preclude it from becoming a predictable waste of money, though.

The drugs arrive in this country from multiple outlets, the least of which is fence-hoppers. Roads and shipping ports would be more appropriate targets for intercepting narcotics.

If this fence was even $500 million I'd say go for it, but $60 billion to build + long term staffing and upkeep costs is just really expensive for something that'll be relatively ineffective when we consider that the majority of the problem is entering in cars.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 PM

CDJD I don't have a clue where you get your information, but I would be happy to give you a personal tour of the border. I can take you to gateways where illegals come across in large numbers, smuggling drugs into the country. I can take you to areas where it is easier than hoping your back fence to come into this country and you won't be apprehended. I can show you illegals coming across in large numbers on any given day. Whoever is giving you your information either doesn't have a clue what they are talking about, or they are misleading you... Don't believe me? Take me up on my offer...

Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Fifteen times GDP doesn't preclude it from becoming a predictable waste of money, though.

The drugs arrive in this country from multiple outlets, the least of which is fence-hoppers. Roads and shipping ports would be more appropriate targets for intercepting narcotics.

If this fence was even $500 million I'd say go for it, but $60 billion to build + long term staffing and upkeep costs is just really expensive for something that'll be relatively ineffective when we consider that the majority of the problem is entering in cars.
The border is porous at all entry points. Again, illegal cost 200 billion a year, the dense would be much cheaper plus it will help inflate low end wages since cheap labor will dry up. People could get off welfare and in employment and be contributing members of society, doesn't that sound like it would be good for this country?

The federal government is failing the American people by not doing one of the few required tasks in the constitution.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:32 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:

And the human cost, if it saves just one life...why not do it?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
The border is pores at all entry points. Again, illegal cost 200 billion a year, the dense would be much cheaper plus it will help inflate low end wages since cheap labor will dry up. People could get off welfare and in employment and be contributing members of society, doesn't that sound like it would be good for this country?
Stop using so much logic and common sense..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies