Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying I have a huge respect for politicians or the way the government functions, but the way I see it the only alternative to having a government would be going back to living nasty, brutish and short lives. You need an advanced infrastructure to maintain the high standard of living we have now and that includes taxation and organized centralized government.

While it's true that private enterprise could take over our infrastructure, I don't think such a situation would benefit anybody, not even the super rich because they would have to fear the millions of people who would go hungry in such a system. Not only that but to let shareholders and tenants dictate the rules like libertarians and conservatives want would still be a form of government, just not a democratic form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Is anti-government sentiment overblown and unjustified?

Yes

Old 09-22-2013, 02:59 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'm not saying I have a huge respect for politicians or the way the government functions, but the way I see it the only alternative to having a government would be going back to living nasty, brutish and short lives. You need an advanced infrastructure to maintain the high standard of living we have now and that includes taxation and organized centralized government.
Most of us who are against a strong central government don't favor an absence of government, just a limited government.

Government doesn't need to be telling us what size sodas we can buy, how much salt we can use, whether we need to wear bicycle helmets or seat belts, what where and when we can smoke, what sort of health insurance we have to get, how many rounds the magazines can hold in our guns, who we can hire fire or sell to, and other such things.

Government should stick to the constitution.
Quote:
While it's true that private enterprise could take over our infrastructure, I don't think such a situation would benefit anybody, not even the super rich because they would have to fear the millions of people who would go hungry in such a system. Not only that but to let shareholders and tenants dictate the rules like libertarians and conservatives want would still be a form of government, just not a democratic form.
And what's wrong with that? Why should people who contribute nothing get an equal vote? A shareholder in this sense is a taxpayer. Why should people who pay no taxes get to decide how those taxes are spent?

Old 09-22-2013, 03:05 AM

234 posts, read 184,717 times
It is totally justifiable.

America doesn't have any politicians, America has clowns, ad people, con people and lobbyists to represent them, not smart folks per se, just cunning leased or slightly empowered (i.e. rich) faces addicted to money, reflecting the power of those truly powerful people whose whims they enforce, a type of people who don't need to vote as they control the things voted on as well as the voters who think their votes are something special.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I have a huge respect for politicians or the way the government functions, but the way I see it the only alternative to having a government would be going back to living nasty, brutish and short lives.
Some people desire that result, figuring that their lack of empathy and social conscience would serve them well in such a scenario.

Quote:
While it's true that private enterprise could take over our infrastructure, I don't think such a situation would benefit anybody, not even the super rich because they would have to fear the millions of people who would go hungry in such a system.
Maybe; maybe not. I suspect those already inclined toward callous disregard of others would simply figure that the super rich could use a little of their money to suppress the hungry. The self-serving avarice that is the foundation of such corrupted perspectives may run deep enough that they figure it would be less expensive to pass laws legitimizing the extermination of human beings that they determine aren't useful to their further wealth acquisition and who otherwise present a threat or a drain thereon. The objectivist mind works to craft whatever rationalization necessary to guard it against moral repudiation for achieving and safeguarding their own comfort and luxury, regardless of the actions they decide to take in that endeavor.

Quote:
Not only that but to let shareholders and tenants dictate the rules like libertarians and conservatives want would still be a form of government, just not a democratic form.
The wet dream that the self-serving greed-mongers have is that people just like them would actually work cooperatively instead of confrontationally. Perhaps they figure that if only a few people led worthwhile lives, and everyone else were simply their serfs, then there would be so much for those few to share that they wouldn't feel compelled to act as despicably with each other as they act toward those they consider inferior. It's a fiction, like the rest of their nonsense. If anything, people inclined toward such egoism would be more confrontational.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Well what has the Fed done of late that would make we the people have confidence in them?
1 scandal after another. IRS people pleading the 5th.
Selling guns to drug cartels.
Libya.
Syria.
Solyndra
Elected reps representing their party needs, instead of the people.
The Presidents word is deeply in doubt.
Elected reps ignoring what the people want.
Senate Majority Leader using the floor as a cover so he can tell blatant lies.
The house unable to walk and chew gum.
The GOP completely unwilling to compromise.
Our President parading a chemical engineer on stage and representing her as the average illegal. All for a push for amnesty when millions of legal citizens are still unemployed.
Our elected reps telling us we need to pay more taxes and do with less, when they can't spend within their means.
In short our elected reps have completely lost touch with America.
So tell me why should we the people have confidence?

Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well what has the Fed done of late that would make we the people have confidence in them?
1 scandal after another. IRS people pleading the 5th.
Selling guns to drug cartels.
Libya.
Syria.
Solyndra
Elected reps representing their party needs, instead of the people.
The Presidents word is deeply in doubt.
Elected reps ignoring what the people want.
Senate Majority Leader using the floor as a cover so he can tell blatant lies.
The house unable to walk and chew gum.
The GOP completely unwilling to compromise.
Our President parading a chemical engineer on stage and representing her as the average illegal. All for a push for amnesty when millions of legal citizens are still unemployed.
Our elected reps telling us we need to pay more taxes and do with less, when they can't spend within their means.
In short our elected reps have completely lost touch with America.
So tell me why should we the people have confidence?
Way too much time and resources are spent on foreign policy and if a poll was taking I would bet that most Americans do not give a rats a$$ about Iraq ,Afghanistan, or Syria. Our rights of privacy should not be forgotten when the gvt is searching/collecting phone records, internet use, credit card transactions, mortgages ,medical info, etc etc. There should be way more concern form people about how the gvt is dipping into pension funds to stay afloat. There should be more concern and it would be justified our gvt is getting way out of control and has been for awhile now.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
If you aren't anti-government, you either don't care or you haven't been paying attention.

Let me ask you a question: if you married to someone and the other person constanly lied and cheated on you, took your debit card out of your purse and said they were going grocery shopping, when you were both struggling financially, but went out and bought beer instead, would you stick around? Would you trust your spouse?

That is how I feel about the US government. And it saddens me that people accept that kind of behavior from politicians because they think it is normal. We have learned to say "Oh but it is politics! Of course they lie!" when campaign promises aren't met or when another scandal pops up. It is NOT normal and because of that mindset people have forgotten to demand accountability.

It is sad.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Way too much time and resources are spent on foreign policy and if a poll was taking I would bet that most Americans do not give a rats a$$ about Iraq ,Afghanistan, or Syria. Our rights of privacy should not be forgotten when the gvt is searching/collecting phone records, internet use, credit card transactions, mortgages ,medical info, etc etc. There should be way more concern form people about how the gvt is dipping into pension funds to stay afloat. There should be more concern and it would be justified our gvt is getting way out of control and has been for awhile now.
The problem with Americans is we are short term memory people. That and we are lazy voters.
That is why party hardliners will always win the day. DEM or GOP same animal just different rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies