Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,542,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
And I would agree, as I think this could have turned out a whole lot worse. But to attribute this to Obama is a stretch. That man wanted badly to strike Syrian forces, and I'm not sure why.

(and before any Obama lovers get defensive, understand that I'm not a conservative, and I don't hate Obama. I just strongly disagree with how the last couple of presidents exercised foreign policy in the Middle East)
It's not that you're anti-Obama, it's that you're simply, factually incorrect. It's been pretty clear that Obama did not want any sort of strike against Syria, which is why there was no such strike the first time Assad's forces used chemical weapons. Instead, we chose to work with certain rebel groups that were relatively moderate.

As to the OP, I think we can just point and laugh at the "Obama got everything he wanted, he's a loser!" nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
It's not that you're anti-Obama, it's that you're simply, factually incorrect. It's been pretty clear that Obama did not want any sort of strike against Syria, which is why there was no such strike the first time Assad's forces used chemical weapons. Instead, we chose to work with certain rebel groups that were relatively moderate.

As to the OP, I think we can just point and laugh at the "Obama got everything he wanted, he's a loser!" nonsense.
Yep, I am having hard time seeing how a diplomatic solution to a potential new war front is an abject failure. But the right wingers will cook up some version of that story. Just wait.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So we turn a blind eye to the use of weapons of mass destruction just because the geopolitics are messy?
What makes it our job or responsibility to do anything? I could be wrong but we are not the designated world cop.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Or Germany either??? Right??
Germany invaded other countries including our allies. Who has Syria invaded? Using Germany as a comparison is weak at best.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:25 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,797,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What makes it our job or responsibility to do anything? I could be wrong but we are not the designated world cop.
Obama designated us world cop when he pulled his red line speech.

He painted himself into a corner where his only two options were to attack Syria or look weak. Now we look weak because of poor leadership and Russia is taking a larger role in the region. Another Obama victory.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

He painted himself into a corner where his only two options were to attack Syria or look weak. Now we look weak because of poor leadership and Russia is taking a larger role in the region. Another Obama victory.
Obama absolutely choked. He ran in 08 on the idea that if he were president the USA would no longer pull these lone wolf tactics. That we would work with the world to find solutions. If we should have learned 1 thing about that region it is drawing a line in the sand is only an invitation for them to cross it.
The fact of the matter is we are not the world cop and we never were. 2nd The American people are war weary and tired of sending our sons and daughters into harms way for other countries. Especially when it is to help people who hate us.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Ok, I'll grant you this. Obama has some egg on the face. However, I'd say it is far better to look weak, than to actually weaken the country, as Bush did with his Iraq debacle. His "strong leadership" did us no favors. Similarly, a military campaign in Syria would have given us little and cost us much.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Ok, I'll grant you this. Obama has some egg on the face. However, I'd say it is far better to look weak, than to actually weaken the country, as Bush did with his Iraq debacle. His "strong leadership" did us no favors. Similarly, a military campaign in Syria would have given us little and cost us much.
Bush and his policies are a separate issue, but lets remember we went into Iraq with support from Dems and the American people. We also had a coalition supporting it. Syria not so much on any measure. Other than a few war hawks there was no support.
The Best approach is to learn to mind our own business.
Is it worth sending my own child to war?
Is it worth me leading the charge and dodging the bullets?
Is America and our citizens under attack?
If our ally is under attack did our ally start the fight? If so have a good day.
I think most Americans like myself and I am a combat vet, are a little tired of our elected reps sending our soldiers to war or in harms way.
We can't claim the moral high ground if we go around bombing anyone and everyone we disagree with.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Quote:
Barack fumbles, Vladimir recovers, and Assad scores for the win. 1,400+ killed by chemical weapons and our weakling President is man-handled like a rag doll to the point that he can't even claim a victory handed to him courtesy of 200 years of American Exceptionalism.

You can almost see the glee in Assad Bashar's eyes as he gives interview after interview of "Barack, You Got Punk'd" material for the whole world to see.

Absolutely disgusting what this nation has become under this President.
As we are all putting in our opinions it appears to me Obama is giving tact and diplomacy a chance to work before making a limited incursion on Assads chemical weapon capabilities,
I realize you would rather America just go in with guns and bombs a blazing and wipe out the whole country consequences be damned, When you become President feel free to do it your way.As for you becoming President? if Obama is as incompetent as you seem to suggest he is then it should be a cake walk for you to become President, unless you...

Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As we are all putting in our opinions it appears to me Obama is giving tact and diplomacy a chance to work before making a limited incursion on Assads chemical weapon capabilities,
I realize you would rather America just go in with guns and bombs a blazing and wipe out the whole country consequences be damned, When you become President feel free to do it your way.As for you becoming President? if Obama is as incompetent as you seem to suggest he is then it should be a cake walk for you to become President, unless you...
Obama was put in a box. He didn't come up with a diplomatic solution, didn't use tact and wanted to use our Military even though the world body disagreed with him. Be honest here. He made threats several times. He has still failed to present conclusive evidence of who is guilty of using the chemical weapons. The People he wanted to support are people who hate America. The people he wants to arm are people who would love to kill Americans. Kerry admitted that these are people we can't trust.......
You accuse the right of only wanting to use bombs but it was your Man Obama who was pushing the use of our Military. It was the Right with the exception of a few idiots that were dead set against it. And for the record the vast Majority of Americans don't want us to get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies